The newest banned Item

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 06:02 pm
@dadpad,
Santa Monica City College wouldn't let me wear pants, when? maybe 1960, when I took Trig there in the summer. That was an eye roller even then.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 06:03 pm
I recall a few girls getting in trouble because they wore tight skirts.
dyslexia

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 06:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I recall a few girls getting in trouble because they wore tight skirts.
they was before they invented "the pill"
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 06:41 pm
The late '60s-early '70s were the transition years here. I went to public high school. Before 1970, it was skirts/dresses only. And no more than 4" above the knee, or you were sent home. (I was threatened several times, but never actually sent home.) In 1970, we could wear pants but not jeans. In 1971, we could wear colored or patterned jeans but not regular BLUE jeans. (I had some favorite red, white & blue striped jeans I'll never forget.) Finally, in 1972, we could wear blue jeans. But we couldn't show our navel. Needless to say, absolutely NO halter tops. Guys pushed the envelope by wearing overalls without shirts under them. (They were sent home, too.) Or sandals with no socks. (Oh my! Smile )

The next year I went to the state university where pretty much anything was tolerated short of streaking, which was the new "no-no." That was a seasonal thing, though. Nobody really wanted to try it in the ice and snow.
eoe

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 08:11 pm
@Eva,
Isn't it amazing to remember these things?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 09:20 pm
Yes, it is!

We were laughing with our 16 year old son the other night. He wears "destroyed" jeans, and we told him how lucky he is that he can buy them that way. When we were in college, we had to cut ours, pour bleach on them, and fringe them out by hand to make them look that way. If our parents went ballistic, we put patches over the big holes. Patches were the big thing then. Remember them?
roger

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 01:42 am
@Eva,
Un huh. The three big problems we used to have were overweight, no place to park, and having to wreck our own jeans. So, we solved one out of three.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 01:53 am
Trouble with the silly bandz here (well, in Europe, they haven't made it to Slovakia yet) is that they have various rights attached to them.
if you manage to rip somebody's bracelet off, you get a favor.
some were sexual.... from hug...to a blowjob and the like. That was a problem, few cases of rape from the reports that made it on the news.
sozobe

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 06:55 am
@dagmaraka,
Eek. Yeah, that was sort of the case with the colored rubber bracelets I referred to before. I know colored correlated to sex acts but I forget the cause and effect. (If red equaled blow jobs, did wearing one mean you had done it, or were willing, or what? Can't remember.)

As I recall the old ones were worn by girls only though. Interesting that boys are just as into this as far as I can tell.
mismi

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 08:23 am
@sozobe,
Every bit as much into it soz. But thankfully it is pretty innocent. Nothing sexual attached to it. Because mine are all 10 and under I have no clue what high school students are doing with them.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 08:29 am
From front page of Yahoo:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20100527/us_time/08599199179700

Mismi, are you in Alabama? (The article says that was one of the early-adopter states -- Ohio and Massachusetts have evidently lagged. Apparently there has been some sort of explosion nationally just recently.)
mismi

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 08:54 am
@sozobe,
We are in Alabama. The fad seems to be lagging now. Don't hear near as much about it from my boys.

We didn't know anything about them until the fall of 2009 and I am always the last one to know. I don't pay a lick of attention to those things. The only way I know about them is when friends come to the bus stop talking about it. And the boys.

Thankfully - it was a short lived thing here in our household. As a matter of fact I am pretty sure I have a pink ostrich silly band holding my All Stars schedule onto my calendar. I am pretty sure one of the boys would have flipped about that kind of misuse back in November. Wink Now - they don't even notice.
sozobe

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 08:57 am
@mismi,
Ha!

She got her first ones about less than a week ago and interest is already lagging. (Luckily it set her back only about $6 to get scads of 'em -- $1.25/ package at a local place.)

Except she really wants a hedgehog.
mismi

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 09:09 am
@sozobe,
The hedgehog was a favorite with the boys too. Fortunately their cousin (girl) had scads of them and gave them each one. I got lucky.

Has she got the sun one? The kids here would get the suns and wear several around their necks....which freaked me out at first - until you find out that they break easily. Pretty sure there is not risk of strangulation. My boys never did that. One did it and said it was annoying.

I think the frenzy comes with the competition of who has got what. I pretty much would limit the boys to about 5 on each arm - that kind of squished their fanatacism of the "more is better" theory - since I wouldn't let them flaunt it . There were some kids wearing a whole package of 24 on each of their arms. Crazy.
sozobe

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 10:27 am
@mismi,
She's at about 5 too, when she wears them. She doesn't like how they feel when there are a bunch of them. She brought the whole bunch to school on Monday in plastic bags and proceeded to hand 'em out to friends who didn't have any yet... aw...

Are the suns super-sized? I can't imagine how they'd fit around heads!! (Not to mention how much they'd squeeze necks... eek.) She doesn't have that one, no, I haven't seen it yet.
Linkat

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 10:45 am
Well I did order them via amazon - two different versions of baseball symbols. With s&h about $12 for two packs of 24 so it seems about the normal price. Expected date of receipt is June 7th which will be prior to our playoffs.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 11:08 am
@sozobe,

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:hy8xnXMVxloC_M:http://www.animalbraceletsblog.com/.a/6a0120a668211b970c0120a69b8f40970c-800wi

The suns rays make it stretchy. Boys didn't like how it felt at all. Thought it looked cool at first then decided that the discomfort was not worth the "cool " factor.

Good Linkat. I think it's a great idea for a team.
Linkat

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:03 pm
@mismi,
I just read about another reason that these bands are banned from schools - some kids wear so many and have them too tight, they have cut off the circulation and are going to the school nurse because of it.
roger

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:31 pm
@Linkat,
Sounds like another Darwin Award candidate.
0 Replies