The newest banned Item

Mame

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 03:22 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

when i was in high school, girls were banned from wearing jeans, just a regular ordinary public high school.

Eeeks, that was MY day, too (yeah, how OLD am I?)! And girls weren't allowed to take IE (Industrial Ed) or Mechanics, all the good stuff. Had to take SEWING and Home Bloody Ec.
mismi

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 03:29 pm
@Linkat,
We got them at Learning Express, Hibbetts (sporting goods store), Hallmark Stores...gift stores in general I think - Justice, Claire's...probably many more places...I think I saw some knock offs in CVS or Walgreens.
Linkat

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 03:29 pm
I was trying to think of something we may have collected/traded. The closest thing I can remember was pins. You would put tons and tons of all these different pins on your jean jacket. Many would be from bands/music you liked.
Linkat

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 03:30 pm
@mismi,
And I heard of all places - Office Max
mismi

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 03:30 pm
@Linkat,
Don't they call that "flair" Linkat? Smile
Linkat

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 03:31 pm
@mismi,
Yes - they did on Office Space - I never heard it refered to as flare when I was in school though.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 03:31 pm
@Linkat,
Yep - I think there as well...I was kind of surprised at the sporting goods places...but apparently other folks had the same idea that you had...better to do that than junk food every time.
sozobe

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 03:34 pm
@mismi,
mismi wrote:
Because they use them to trade they wear many, many of them at the same time. They take them off, they shoot them across the room, they pop each other with them...let me count the ways they distract.

A-ha! That makes more sense now.

Evidently Silly Bandz are the originals and then there are knock-offs up the wazoo. (Rubba Bands, etcetcetcetc.)
Linkat

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 03:41 pm
@mismi,
I'm assuming the sports places had sports shaped ones? I love to find a softball one - but baseball could suffice.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 03:45 pm
@sozobe,
Oh yeah...knock offs everywhere....and they are cheaper. I was kind of offended at the $5.99 some of the places were charging. Wouldn't pay that much.

Linkat, they carried all kinds. Now you can find pretty much any kind you want to here. Back in the fall though, the stores would sell out almost as soon as they got them in. It was ridiculous...much like the beanie baby phenomenon. Crazy.
Linkat

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 03:46 pm
@mismi,
I could order them on line - but the softball season ends (for the in league) mid June so I am not sure how long it would take to come via mail.
mismi

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 03:50 pm
@Linkat,
I think that depends on the demand. Back in the fall one order my sister in law made took two weeks.

Amazon has them...but the baseball ones must be in high demand...they are charging almost $9 for a 24 pack.
Linkat

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 03:51 pm
@mismi,
I saw them on line for $6 for 24. Free shipping
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 03:55 pm
@sozobe,
Novelty (and pretty colors, sort of like the hello kitty stuff, she says, airily).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 03:57 pm
@mismi,
Genius, Mom...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 04:05 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

dyslexia wrote:

when i was in high school, girls were banned from wearing jeans, just a regular ordinary public high school.

Eeeks, that was MY day, too (yeah, how OLD am I?)! And girls weren't allowed to take IE (Industrial Ed) or Mechanics, all the good stuff. Had to take SEWING and Home Bloody Ec.

How old are you? Probably too young to remember that girls' jeans had to have zippers on the side. Don't remember that do you?
Mame

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 04:08 pm
@roger,
Hey, smarty-pants.... what are your exercises for torn rotator cuffs?

I didn't wear jeans with zippers up the sides, but I did wear saddle shoes. And you've met me, so you know how old I am. You're just a tad older.
eoe

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 04:58 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I was trying to think of something we may have collected/traded. The closest thing I can remember was pins. You would put tons and tons of all these different pins on your jean jacket. Many would be from bands/music you liked.

In my day there were troll dolls. Had to have a troll doll. Or 100 troll dolls with different colored hair. No ban. How about trading cards?

And girls weren't allowed to wear pants to school until I was a Sophomore in high school. 1971. We had to stage a protest.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 05:04 pm
@Mame,
I got my shoulder excercises from jlnobody. Got lazy and sent them on to George, but these were for more or less frozen shoulders. I don't think they would be appropriate for torn rotator cuffs.

Anyway, the time and pain was all out of proportion to the marginal improvements. I saw your thread on the topic, and stayed out just because that was a time when ignorance could be darn dangerous.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 05:59 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

In my school girls were banned. Seriously.
It was co-ed high school and year 9 boys were banned from being within 1 meter of any girl.