Riddle help, please...

Nikk0

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 04:40 pm
So, there's a couple of riddles that's been bothering me lately...anybody want to take the challenge? Smile

1. A man is approaching the middle of an open grass field. The field is empty, as well as the woods surrounding it, yet he knows that as soon as he reaches the center he will die. How does he know this?

2. After landing on Mars, you approach a Martian and ask it if you are heading the right way, and it rubs its stomach. You know that Martians understand Earth-talk, but could not speak it. You can neither speak nor understand Martian. By asking one more question, you can find out whether the martian said yes or no. What question?

Any help appreciated. Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,273 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 08:04 pm
On the first one, I would guess the man experiences a heart-attack in the middle of the field.

On the second one, assuming the Martian is not a liar, you could ask, "Are you a Martian?" If he rubs his stomach again, that means the gesture means 'yes.' If he does something else, you know it means 'no.'
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 08:27 pm
Second one: "Are you a liar?"
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 08:35 pm
I duno, Satt. How would you determine whether or not the Martian was lying in its answer? You're thinking of another riddle where that question does become important. That's where you have the two tribes, one of which always lies, the other always tells the truth. Doesn't seem to apply here, though.
0 Replies

Gouki

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 08:47 pm
1. Forest Fire.

2. "Can you earth talk."
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 08:59 pm
Re 2 you need a known subject, Gouki named one but there are others.

You can ask if the lil' felle just rubbed his belly for e.g.
0 Replies

riddler

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 06:53 pm
first one: dude's parachute is not opening
second one: am I a martian myself?
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 11:47 pm
Riddler's right, he's either falling from a plane without a parachute, or his parachute won't open.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 04:22 am
I agree. It says he is "approaching" the middle of the field. It doesn't say from what direction. Good thinking, Riddler and Turner.
0 Replies

Mungo

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 07:44 pm
Not necessarily.

I happen to be an old Mars hand and I know that when a Martian rubs his belly it means, "There is a Hoojip behind you" (Hoojips eat humans but do not harm Martians) So you ask him your second question and he rubs his belly, but slower this time. (Doing it slowly is the Martian way of adding emphasis)
You have just enough time to say "Right, I have it figurAAAARRRRGGGHHH"

If you ask a yes/no question and do not understand the answer, you have no way of knowing if, in fact, the answer you are given is yes, no, or something else entirely.
0 Replies