edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 05:40 pm
@Rockhead,
say what?
I never heard of such a thing.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 05:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
they want to verify age for the content.

sign in or sign up.

no worries.

I have seen beatings before...

lemme know what happens to him.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 05:43 pm
She lost it. I would think you would have to be crazy or really pissed off to beat a child in front of everybody like that. No excuse...dang.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 07:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
One hopes it is actually "Ex-Teacher beats up a student".
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 07:53 pm
She will never teach in Houston again. The kid's family filed a lawsuit just hours ago.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 08:56 pm
God bless Utah.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 09:06 pm
@Amigo,
Amigo wrote:

God bless Utah.

?
The video was shot in Texas.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 09:27 pm
The tearful mother of a 13-year-old boy announced Thursday that she is suing Jamie's House Charter School and a teacher there who was caught on video allegedly beating up the teen late last month.

The lawsuit, filed in Harris County, accuses Sheri Lynn Davis, 40, of assaulting Isaiah Reagins for more than a minute " kicking him, slapping his face and dragging him on the floor of a classroom. The suit also accuses the school of negligence and attempting to cover up the incident, which another student filmed with a cell phone camera.

“I thought she was playing at first until she threw the desk, and then that's when I got scared,” Isaiah said of Davis, who has worked at Jamie's House for three years.

Isaiah said he and other students were dancing and laughing at a female student before Davis entered the room. He recalled Davis telling him, “So, you want to fight a girl? Fight me.”

Davis' attorney, Chip Lewis, declined to comment.

The Texas Education Agency sent four representatives to Jamie's House on Thursday to conduct its own investigation. The agency does not have the power to sanction Davis because she is not certified, but it could move to revoke the school's accreditation.

“There have been some special-education problems reported in the past,” TEA spokeswoman Debbie Ratcliffe said about the school, declining to elaborate. “But I'm not aware of anything along this line " this kind of violent issue.”

Jamie's House, located on Bamwood Drive in north Harris County, serves about 100 at-risk middle and high school students and is rated “academically acceptable” under the state's rating system for alternative schools.

Legislator wants inquiry
State Sen. Dan Patrick, a self-described “champion of charter schools,” wrote Texas Education Commissioner Robert Scott a letter Thursday asking him to investigate Jamie's House.

“The video clearly depicts a teacher physically abusing a student while other students and faculty members observe,” Patrick, R-Houston, wrote. “Given the small size of this facility and their faculty, the failure of these teachers to act or respond correctly is observably systemic.”

Brant Stogner, an attorney for Isaiah and his mother, Alesha Johnson, said at least three teachers and three or four other adults were in the room during the beating.

Stogner also said school officials told Johnson that the classroom had a security camera but it didn't capture anything.

A spokeswoman for Jamie's House said the security camera erases on the first of every month. The beating happened on April 29, and Johnson said she called the school on April 30 but didn't get a response. Johnson said she met with the teacher and administrators at the school May 3.

Principal: ‘No excuse'
The school put Davis on administrative duty after the meeting and fired her this week after the cell phone video aired on a local television news show. Principal David Jones has said there was “no excuse” for the teacher's actions.

School officials have identified one other teacher who was in the room during the beating, and disciplinary action is pending against him, according to spokeswoman Sue Davis, who is not related to the teacher.

The Harris County Sheriff's Office is investigating the incident. Sheri Lynn Davis has not been charged, but she has an unrelated criminal mischief charge pending. She is accused of using a knife to slash the tires of another woman's car, court records show.

Johnson's lawsuit against the teacher and school is seeking an unspecified amount in damages. Her attorneys with the law firm Abraham, Watkins, Nichols, Sorrels, Agosto & Friend said they plan to donate any award for attorneys' fees to a charity for children.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 12:13 am
I'm tired of people who don't know just how difficult a teacher's job is always bringing these stories up. Of course it should be covered up, the perp, I'm sure, deserved it. When are they gonna get tasers to teachers for christ's sake!

Little ****, he probably wouldn't take off his bracelet.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 12:16 am
@edgarblythe,
Terrible.
Such aggression!
And just what I needed to see after a hard week at (school) work. Neutral
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 12:46 am
I want to see a comeback fight .....a rematch in 10 years time...

I cant believe other teachers did nothing. Did that student learn not to laugh at the mentally challenged girl or did he learn violence is the way ?
0 Replies

saab

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 03:52 am
It is terrible, but it sounds as if the kids are laughing in the background or what noice is that?
Why did the grown ups in the room not stop this horrible beating? That one took the pictures is fine with me, but the rest could have tried to stop it.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 05:07 am
Looked like play to me. Especially the stance of the teacher at the start. No blow was delivered with any force.
sullyfish6

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 06:46 am
I'd be interested in the back story.

0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 07:43 am
@dadpad,
Quote:
Looked like play to me. Especially the stance of the teacher at the start. No blow was delivered with any force.
I had another look. I think your right. I think the mum might be doing a dash for cash.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 10:12 am
Is she a certified teacher?
Perhaps she's an aide or after school monitor.
Who knows?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 10:24 am
definite over reaction by the teacher, however, i'm sure the little **** deserved an ass whupping, if i were the parents i'd be embarrased to be bringing this to court (especially for money), i'd be hard pressed on a jury to have any sympathy for a kid who got beat for teasing another child (one that was either physically or mentally challenged from a report i saw)

the teacher should be fired (possible suspended without pay pending a review), and the school board should be reviewing it's policy on how incidents like this are handled and reported
aidan

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 11:16 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
The Harris County Sheriff's Office is investigating the incident. Sheri Lynn Davis has not been charged, but she has an unrelated criminal mischief charge pending. She is accused of using a knife to slash the tires of another woman's car, court records show.

This lady (the teacher) obviously has problems with impulse control and inappropriate behavior. It's probably a good thing (for Isaiah's sake) she snapped on camera and with other people in the room- although I can't understand why no one intervened for that boy.

He seems amazingly calm and understated through and about the whole thing. Maybe this just means he's more in control of himself at thirteen than she is at forty. Hopefully he'll be fine, but it bothers me that he didn't strike back or try to defend himself- that fact along with the fact that he's in a school for at risk kids makes me worried for him.

If I were Isaiah's mother - I'd kick that woman's ass myself - never mind bringing a suit.
0 Replies