Why aren't we talking about "Draw Muhammad Day?" May 20th

BorisKitten

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 12:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Most of the time the correct response when someone tells us that they are offended by us is "ok".

That's right, Hawkeye: We say OK, maybe even, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you." They say, "Oh, OK" in return, and we're done.

They do NOT threaten to kill us over that offense. Death threats change the playing field. For one, they break the law.

And let's note: The Koran does NOT tell Muslims that others cannot draw Muhammad. It says that Muslims cannot draw Mohammed (according to The Young Turks' Cenk Yaeger (SP?); video above).
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 12:25 pm
@BorisKitten,
Quote:
That's right, Hawkeye: We say OK, maybe even, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you." They say, "Oh, OK" in return, and we're done
Surely those using claims of offense as a club to get you to conform to their will is a life experience you have come across before now......
BorisKitten

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 12:29 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

I posted the cartoon with my name on it. I posted it here on A2K. I posted it on my personal blog. My blog's RSS feed goes directly into Facebook.

I'm not trying to be anonymous.

A
R
T

And that's the point of this protest (in my opinion). If we all post the drawings, they will have a very hard time killing us all.

My FaceBook account (where I plan to post my drawing, in addition to anywhere else I can find on the 'net) is in my real name.

I doubt radical Muslims would have any difficulty finding me and trying to kill me. Trying, not necessarily succeeding.

Does anyone else recall the phrase: United We Stand?
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 12:31 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
That's right, Hawkeye: We say OK, maybe even, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you." They say, "Oh, OK" in return, and we're done
Surely those using claims of offense as a club to get you to conform to their will is a life experience you have come across before now......

Oh, of course! But no one has ever threatened to kill me over anything I've said, or drawn.
BorisKitten

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 12:35 pm
Anyone else noticed the ads at the bottom of these pages?

"Find your Arab soulmate today: PHOTOS."

I find them funny. Photos? What, in Burkas?

And let's state, just for the record, I'm an "Arab" myself. I am half Syrian and half German. I look Syrian, not German.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 12:40 pm
@BorisKitten,
BorisKitten wrote:

And let's state, just for the record, I'm an "Arab" myself. I am half Syrian and half German. I look Syrian, not German.

No. You are not an Arab!! You are a Syrman [pronounced sur-muhn]! Razz
BorisKitten

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 12:43 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

BorisKitten wrote:

No. You are not an Arab!! You are a Syrman [pronounced sur-muhn]! Razz

Snort! I like that!
Around here, they say "AY-rab"
talk72000

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 12:59 pm
@BorisKitten,
The problem is that Saudi Arabian Wahhabi fundamentalist sect is behind all the fanatics as they fund all the madrasses around the world.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 01:03 pm
@BorisKitten,
Quote:
Oh, of course! But no one has ever threatened to kill me over anything I've said, or drawn.
It is a pretty slippery slope once you settle on the principle that someone objecting to you entitles them to make demands upon you.

We in America have the right to free association to take of these problems...if someone objects to me they have to right to go away from me...they don't need to get all dramatic about it.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 04:11 pm
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 05:10 pm
@BorisKitten,
I do see your point, and I saw Robert's several points earlier.

No, I'm not in favor of allowing cartoonists in the US being iced or threatened for printing what is lawful here. I agree the threateners have no right to do that.

I do think cartoon day will only convince the already convinced - but I'm not thoroughly adamant about my view. Maybe it will hearten people about freedom of speech in general. Maybe it will offend moderate muslims here enough to feel a little more like outsiders when they have lived here a long time and have adapted in many ways.

(The Simpson creator is Matt Groening, I think).
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 05:56 pm
I don't think it's about convincing those who threaten with violence that they are wrong. It's about convincing them that the threat of violence is ineffective.

I think the point is to demonstrate the futility of threatening violence.

A
R
T
dyslexia

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 07:16 pm
@failures art,
are you all that sure that threatening violence is ineffective?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 07:19 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:
I don't think it's about convincing those who threaten with violence that they are wrong. It's about convincing them that the threat of violence is ineffective.

I think the point is to demonstrate the futility of threatening violence.

A
R
T
In other words, armed robberies never work, right ?

David
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 07:45 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

are you all that sure that threatening violence is ineffective?
Threats of violence are incredibly effective; but shouldn't be. In this case some extremist assholes are attempting to force their values on others through intimidation. I have no illusion that this protest will change the mind of the fanatic. But it will change the effect of their threats. They obviously wish to reduce or eliminate the use of Muhammad in cartoons. Comedy Central was and is prepared to comply. However; if this protest goes off and gets some news, the net result of the death-threats will be: Making Death Threats results in MORE Muhammad cartoons, not less.

The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it. --Albert Einstein.

Moderate Muslims will understand the purpose of the protest. Those who don't aren't moderate.-- Bill Ward
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 08:19 pm
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:

failures art wrote:

kickycan wrote:

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Massive, widespread disobedience is the only way to put this absurdity to rest once and for all.

Really? Do you really think that the nuts who would threaten death for a cartoon are going to say, "oh, they all drew a cartoon, NOW I get it! Continue on with your lives. We won't be bothering you anymore."?

Yes, it sounds like a perfect solution: drawing a picture that will piss off moderate muslims and inflame extremist muslims is the only way to go.

I see your point. However, if this extreme group will look for any excuse to threaten violence, it doesn't matter if I draw it. In terms of effort, it takes a lot more effort on their behalf. As for the moderate, I think fence sitting is no longer optional once people are being threatened (and attacked... and their home assaulted... etc). Christians have to fight for other's rights to speak and be offended. Atheists have to fight for other's rights to speak and be offended. Moderate Muslims have to do it too. For that matter, I think they do, and I will give them the benefit of the doubt that they can see the value of making a statement like this, even if it makes them uncomfortable.

Agreed. I just don't think that this particular act is the best way to make the point.
If you have a better idea as to reducing the effectiveness of spreading Sharia Law through intimidation; I'm all ears.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 08:23 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Quote:
But it will change the effect of their threats.
Or make them more angry and threaten or act violently more. What will you do then ?

What about pressuring Comedy Central to put it back on ? I think the government may be working behind closed doors so as to not upset oil rich nations.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 11:04 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Quote:
But it will change the effect of their threats.
Or make them more angry and threaten or act violently more. What will you do then ?
Your question presupposes that I am expecting a direct result from my tiny contribution, which is silly. I will, however, continue to oppose tyranny, at my leisure and possibly at my peril, regardless of their reaction. Like JFK said, "the rights of every man are diminished when the rights of one man are threatened." Do you actually disagree? Or do you just like being disagreeable?

Ionus wrote:
What about pressuring Comedy Central to put it back on ?
I've already signed the petition. This, however, does nothing to alleviate the danger to a relative handful of brave men and women who are currently carrying the weight of this liberty alone. This is untenable, and can only result in a de facto reduction of freedom (in reality, it no doubt already has). Everyone who values this freedom should stand by these cartoonists, rather than stand idly by while this freedom evaporates.

Perhaps you don't care about this particular freedom; but if the bully can successfully impose his will on this issue; do you not see that this will only encourage him to apply this same strategy on other issues? How much de facto Sharia Law are you willing to have imposed on you? (I'm guessing; not much. Idea )
saab

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 02:53 am
The man who tried to burn down VilksĀ“house has been arrested.
He forgot his jacket with keys and address by the house........
Ionus

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 03:47 am
@OCCOM BILL,
I dont think anything good will come from it. If anything, you may alienate moderate muslims who will no longer be able to argue that the west does care about muslims.

Perhaps you are unfamiliar with modern police practices where they choose to defuse the situation rather than inflame it.

No-one is telling me what to and not to draw. Some extremists are threatening some cowardly commercially motivated companies. Big deal.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 09:43:16