Peculiar computer

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 08:55 am
A friend asked me to help her with her computer. However, it's an odd beast. It's attached to her TV and the keyboard has a series of pinky-lavendar keys running down the right side, but no number pad. We got the TV turned on, (it wasn't plugged in!) and should have been able to switch to the so-called computer, but no matter what we did the TV screen showed nothing but hash and Channel 802. We couldn't change the channel, nor could we get the thing to function as any kind of computer.

I suspect it was only usable (when working, that is) for email - the keys seemed to be basically email-oriented but it's not a Mailstation. She swore that she had been able (quite a while ago) use it to get information, but I think her memory is more than a bit faulty, so this may not be true.

Does this thing sound familiar to anyone?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 727 • Replies: 5
No top replies

engineer

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 09:09 am
@Tomkitten,
How is the computer attached to the TV? Some TV's have separate video input sources, so you would have to make sure the TV has the correct source connected. Older TVs used a connection into the TV antenna. In that case you would have to set your TV to the correct channel (likely 3 or 4). It would be a very old TV to require this setup. It's concerning that you cannot change the TV channel at all. There should be manual buttons on the TV somewhere that change the channel.
Tomkitten

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 10:09 am
@engineer,
I don't know the answer to this, but from all what I could see, all connections seemed kosher. The woman had signed up for my Internet class & asked for help before starting the course. I'll have to investigate her setup further. BTW - she never showed up for the class and I doubt very much whether she would have benefited from it anyway. I was really just wondering if anyone was familiar with this odd keyboard.

P.S. How do I get my A2K email back? It happens over and over that I don't receive it, this being one of those times. Do you know whom to contact?
DrewDad

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 10:22 am
@Tomkitten,
Sounds like an old WebTV. I think that service is defunct, though.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 11:06 am
@Tomkitten,
Tomkitten wrote:

P.S. How do I get my A2K email back? It happens over and over that I don't receive it, this being one of those times. Do you know whom to contact?

Try going to the Preferences section and make sure your email options are turned on.
Tomkitten

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 11:58 am
@engineer,
Thanks.
0 Replies