A heatable Utensil

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 08:17 am
For my 8th grade physics class, we are told to 'invent something'. People have done things like a mechanical ice-cream scooper, a teddy bear that heats up, compartments in high heels, etc. I was thinking of making a utensil (such as a spoon, fork, knife) that heats up. It would be mecanical and powered bly battries, and the temperature stays the same as you eat. How can I make this, in a simple, easy, cheap way as my parents aren't willing to pay a considerable amount for it's creation.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,453 • Replies: 14
No top replies

sullyfish6

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 11:52 am
I'd rather see a plate warmer.

I don't need my knife, fork or spoon warm.
Ragman

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 01:23 pm
@sullyfish6,
good suggestion and far more workable and probably more durable
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 01:43 pm
I agree.
I don't see the benefit of a utensil that heats up.

The food is only touching the utensil a moment or two, and doesn't cool down the food in any significant way.
farmerman

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 04:40 am
@chai2,
How about an ice cream scooper that heats up.
dadpad

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 05:18 am
Are there chemicals that, when shaken up, heat up? ask your chemistry teachers.
You could fill the right shaped utensils with chemical and shake them before use.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 05:25 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

How about an ice cream scooper that heats up.

That's already been done. There are lots of electric ice cream scoops on the market that heat up.
farmerman

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 05:32 am
@chai2,
I did not know, I had no idea. ALL these years using a chainsaw, when I could have had a hot scoop.
Can they be used in the bathtub?
chai2

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 05:35 am
@farmerman,
only when there's no water in the tub. Razz
engineer

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 05:39 am
@mannstillah96,
Look up "Heat tape" on the Internet. A fork will be very hard, so go for a spoon or knife. Maybe use two table spoons with heat tape between them, a battery between the handles with a simple button to turn it on and then seal the areas between the two bowls. Not very practical, but a good project.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 05:39 am
@chai2,
your worries re simultaneoulsy bathing and scooping ice cream are over farmerman....

behold

http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/38435/6h/www.improvementscatalog.com/images/en_US//local/products/248x/165744zz.jpg

When a luscious bowl of rock hard rocky road ice cream is staring you in the face, there's little time to waste waiting for it to defrost enough for scooping! Other heated ice cream scoops are slow to heat, and are a hassle to use, with batteries that die or awkward cords that limit movement. Instead, put our new high tech scoop into your microwave oven for just 30-40 seconds, take it out (handle stays cool) and dig right in! The unique polymer scoop bowl is all that heats up, so scooping is effortless right out of the freezer! No batteries and no cord needed. Dishwasher safe, unlike other heated scoops on the market. Ergonomic comfort grip. Patented. "Cool" gift for ice cream lovers (just about everybody you know)!
farmerman

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 05:58 am
@chai2,
the scoop part must be filled with some liquid that acts like glaubers salt. Very thermodynamic, tres kewl.

Now whatdo I do with this chain saw ?
chai2

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 06:48 am
@farmerman,
you got any ingrown toenails?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 06:49 am
@farmerman,
Hook it to a churn to churn to make chainsaw-made ice cream.

or trim your eye-brows if they're bushy.
chai2

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 06:50 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Hook it to a churn to churn to make chainsaw-made ice cream.

oh wow, now THAT is a great idea!
0 Replies