RIGHT TO DRY Movement: Conservationists or Fanatical Revolutionary Monsters?

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 06:33 pm
Quote:
Wednesday May 5, 2010
The Enemy Within - Backyard Clothesline
Neighbors have fined Susan Taylor for violating subdivision rules, but nothing will stop her from drying her clothes outside. (05:38)

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/308751/may-05-2010/the-enemy-within---backyard-clothesline

dyslexia

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 06:43 pm
@tsarstepan,
must be a california zoning regulation, but keep in mind, what starts in california quickly spreads to america.
Ionus

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 06:47 pm
@tsarstepan,
That is simply an unbelievable zoning regulation. There are health reasons to radiate your clothes.
dyslexia

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 06:49 pm
@Ionus,
one can only assume ionus, you've never been to california or enjoyed a high colonic.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 06:50 pm
@dyslexia,
It sounds like one of those Yuppie powered conformist fetishizing neighborhoods where they make the residents sign a legal contract/covenant of legally binding silly aesthetic rules before they move in.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 06:54 pm
@dyslexia,
Oregon is in California ???
Ionus

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 06:55 pm
@dyslexia,
Never been to the USA, mate, but I have heard so much from US soldiers I feel like I know it as well as Oz.
0 Replies

Always Eleven to him

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 07:01 pm
@dyslexia,
It was actually in Oregon. And the complainers prove that, once again, some people have waaaayyyy to much time on their hands.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 07:02 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
Oregon is in California ???

It's like when we Americans consider Perth to be a suburb of Sydney.
Wink
Ionus

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 07:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yes and that is acceptable for USAians but not for Oznians. I think Sylexadic has a strong distrust of anyone living near the west coast (I dont blame him - some of our strangest people live near the coast) so he lumps them together as "foriegners" Very Happy
plainoldme

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 07:49 pm
I suggest that those who complain about laundry on the line should pay the gas/electric bill of the people they force to use clothes dryers.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 08:25 pm
@dyslexia,
They get to paint their houses six colors.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 08:28 pm
@tsarstepan,
Where has Mr. Colbert been for the last 30 years? this kind of regulation is not new in Canada or the U.S.
roger

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 08:30 pm
@ehBeth,
Yeah, but I bet the cute little yuppies just love solar power - when they don't have to look at it.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 08:33 pm
@roger,
wtf are you on about?
roger

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 08:36 pm
@ehBeth,
Clothes line. Solar clothes dryer. Was that wth you were asking about?
dyslexia

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 09:20 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

They get to paint their houses six colors.
well said my friend.
plainoldme

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 09:28 pm
I was taught, many years ago, that when two "rights" were in conflict, one was not a right. I wrote here not that long ago and someone told me that this old saw was not true. I have been thinking about that. No, I do not remember who said it and where because that is not important. The idea is and not the speaker or context.

Alright, I would say that right is on the side of those wishing to hand laundry out of doors. Line drying saves money and the environment. Those wishing to ban line drying have only a relatively recent aesthetic.

In fact, it is a silly aesthetic: consider how few people are home in most neighborhoods to see the laundry drying in the sun.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 09:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
This is just crazy. I know the video was meant to be funny, but it actually made me quite angry. Grrrr! Evil or Very Mad

Why would the residents of any place on earth, which has hours of daily sunshine & wind, not be allowed to dry their clothes outside? Why use electricity when the natural elements do the job so well & for free?
What stupid people, worrying more about aesthetics than the huge, unnecessarily waste of precious power! I could understand if they lived in a place where it rained every single winter day, but this is just plain silly.

I love my Hills Hoist! It's retractable, too! Very Happy

http://ih2.redbubble.net/work.20498.9.flat,550x550,075,f.hills-hoist.jpg

http://ih2.redbubble.net/work.737179.3.flat,550x550,075,f.gone-on-holiday.jpg

http://ih0.redbubble.net/work.1640714.5.fig,lemon,mens,fbfbfb.merry-go-hills-hoist-v3.jpg

http://www.redbubble.com/search/hills%20hoist
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 03:48 am
@dyslexia,
It's probably more like 2 or 3 approved colors of paint.
0 Replies