RIGHT TO DRY Movement: Conservationists or Fanatical Revolutionary Monsters?

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 04:26 pm
@Ionus,
Dys - hiss!

On the drying thing, I've heard of this for several years in many places, usually tracts with strong homeowners' associations/restrictions... ridiculous of course.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 04:27 pm
@ehBeth,
Just read ehBeth's post.. I'll edit my several years to thirty!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 05:38 pm
Just curious: do any of you American folk dry your clothes outside?
One gets the (possibly quite incorrect) impression that everyone uses an electric clothes drier for the purpose.
roger

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 05:41 pm
@msolga,
I would agree that gas (more than electric) dryers are almost universal.
msolga

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 06:05 pm
@roger,
That's interesting, Roger.
I'm wondering what that is.
I'd have thought, especially in the US states with lots of sunshine all year round (like say, California), that outdoor clotheslines would make perfect sense.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 07:12 pm
@msolga,
I built an overhead trellis for a climbing rose, with a bench, and at the top put a clothes' rod - used that to dry most clothes most of the year... back when I lived in Venice, California. If I did it again I'd use a clothesline so that I could use spring clips to hold the hangers, if there were a chance of wind (hangers twirl on a regular closet rod in the wind).

Here in Albuquerque I could do that again except my whole back patio columns and roof need rebuilding, and cost is a factor. Also, it's often windy or wintery here. But, the air is dry, so I often dry some stuff on the bathroom shower curtain rod, and the remainder in my gas dryer. I tend to take clothes out early and whap the wrinkles out and hang them up/closet immediately. No mold problem here.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 07:13 pm
I confess, i confess.

We dont have a clothes dryer. We have a rotary clothes line in the backyard.
and a drying frame that we hoist to the ceiling.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 07:18 pm
Adds, in northern california by the ocean, with temps a high of 53 in winter and 63 in summer, and a sun that was often obscured by fog or low clouds, I had a steel clothesline from house to garage. Used it a some but not always - mostly in the summer.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 07:38 pm
@dadpad,
Quote:
I confess, i confess.

We dont have a clothes dryer. We have a rotary clothes line in the backyard.

Same here, dp!
And I don't plan to ever own one, either.
Nothing wrong with the ol' Hills Hoist, I say! Wink
What a brilliant invention!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 07:44 pm
@roger,
no - I was trying to figure out what "yuppies" had to do with anything in regard to this

the folks who came up with the first anti-clothesline restrictions that I know about were far too old to be yuppies
plainoldme

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 09:07 pm
I did not have a clothes dryer until late 2007 when I moved into this house. Guess what? It broke. God is punishing me.
msolga

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 09:10 pm
@plainoldme,
No, god was telling you you didn't need it! Wink
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 09:13 pm
@ehBeth,
levittown
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 09:53 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Just curious: do any of you American folk dry your clothes outside?
One gets the (possibly quite incorrect) impression that everyone uses an electric clothes drier for the purpose.

Most homes/households (not including apartments) have the washer/dryer combination. Still, many actually use clothes lines to dry their clothes (those residing in the suburb and rural parts of the US) when the weather is reasonable (of course).
0 Replies

rapetzel

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 04:56 pm
Levi Strauss & Co. are entering in to the discussion about the right to line dry! They're hosting a design challenge to change the conversation around line drying, and question the proposition they are unsightly! Would love to see y'all over there! http://myoocreate.com/challenges/care-to-air-design-challenge
roger

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 05:42 pm
@rapetzel,
Cool.

I'm really of the opinion that energy conservation that people actually do, and do without government subsidy, is what is going to be most useful.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 05:54 pm
@rapetzel,
Yay! Good going, Levi Strauss! Clever marketing, too! Wink :

Quote:
The most effective way to reduce the climate impact of a pair of jeans is to air dry, yet the average US household chooses a dryer. Some communities have even banned clotheslines, calling them unsightly. Well Levi Strauss & Co. would like to challenge that point of view by finding clothesline designs or other innovative air drying solutions that are undeniably stylish, sustainable and effective.

http://myoocreate.com/challenges/care-to-air-design-challenge
0 Replies