Helping Americans understand just how rich we are

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 10:20 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I went out of my way, because I don't think your personal desire not to suffer high taxes is incompatible with your desire to feed the world's poor and open up the job and financial markets to the world as well - especially in our current fiscal climate.

But I've repeatedly told you that my arguments with you are not personally motivated. Right now I make less money than most in this thread, I am not the guy you want to tax 70%.

But I object as a matter of principle to the populism that lets the masses decide the government is entitled to that kind of share of someone's productivity, and I object to throwing more money at the American government given that I object to well over 50% of what it is spent on on (sometimes on both financial and moral grounds).

You like to portray my opposition to your tax policy as being motivated by personal greed, but that is just another way you'd rather make it about me than my arguments. I disagree with your tax policy because I believe it is wrong, not because I would personally suffer from it.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 10:28 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
I have never once expressed any disdain for the American poor.

Of course you did, several times, with your comments about how they have 3 cars and Plasma TVs. You specifically disdain the concept that these people are 'poor' compared to actual poor folks.

Quote:
Another straw man. I want a more level playing field. We can't raise the world up to our level, but we can stop kicking their fingers when they are clawing their way up on their own.

This is the equivalent of the point I was making. Your 'more level playing field' comes directly at cost to our wealth and standard of living. And most Americans don't see the benefit in that at this time.

An example. I have to go to the dentist, because one of my teeth is hurting. I know that around the world people have MUCH worse dental problems than I do - ones which would make anyone cringe with empathy. But I have a limited amount of money, and I'm going to go to the dentist for myself before I spend my money helping others do so, because my goddamn tooth hurts.

The abstract notion of helping the poor in other countries is never going to supplant the desire to help the poor in one's own country, not until our world organization is drastically different then it is today.

Cycloptichorn
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 10:54 am
@squinney,
squinney wrote:

Well, I just read through twelve pages of opinions that kept me on an emotional rollercoaster, only to come to...

"...the foundation of economic development must come from the people themselves and their government. Other actions from external agencies appear to often breed as many adverse side effects as benefits. Graft and venality end up rewarding the wrong people and hindering the very process we may hope to ignite."

Well said, Georgeob1. It comes down to giving a man a fish, or teaching him to fish. Do we teach him to fish with a toy net from the shore (abusive, low paying and dangerous exported American jobs with no dignity or concern for their physical health) or give him a real pole and materials to build a good boat (industriousness, trade skills, how to change their own government) ??

How is advocating a more level playing field not teaching a man to fish? It's no coincidence that the straw men that they keep bringing up are about giving people fish, and it's no coincidence that I have not once advocated such a thing.

Leveling the playing field enables more people to pull themselves out of poverty by their own bootstraps, it is no handout, and that these guys keep trying to use the same selfish canards about handouts is part and parcel of why I am so frustrated here.

**** handouts, how about not mining the playing field? David advocated that literally, saying we should mine our borders to keep immigrants out.

Quote:
The concept of allowing other countries to industrialize at the expense of the environment, as presented by Robert earlier, is ludicrous to me. When we know better, we do better. Just because we allowed companies to polute and poison our population and environment in order to become wealthy, doesn't mean we accept that as an option for populations in other countries, nor do we go backwards in our standards to allow pollution spewing, poorly maintained vehicles to come over the border. If we are truly compassionate, that isn't an option.

I don't think you know what I am talking about. When we refuse to sign on to emissions cuts unless others do it is not because of our great concern for environment it is because of our great concern for being less economically competitive due to regulation.

Environmentalism may be noble, but I'm talking about the many cases it's used as an economic bludgeon. Do you think it environmental political capital should be used as leverage for economic benefits?

Quote:
The world will always have poverty. I don't have to go to Africa or India to have compassion for their plight or to understand that my worry over paying the lectric bill is beyond ridiculous in comparison, which is why I don't worry about it.

I hope you aren't using "the poor will always be with us" as the centuries-old pretext for turning a blind eye to it as being futile and hopeless (like George's portrayal of caring about the poor of "wringing of hands").

Quote:
I got the feeling early on in this thread, due to the mention of Mexican workers crossing the border to find work in the US, that THAT might have been what triggered this discussion.

That is one thing, the other was the "we got to fix our problems first" mentality that is so very common after this recession, ignoring that our recession made the rest of the world's problems more acute as well.

It's a response to a growing isolationism and selfishness I see as a result of the economic problems. During this recession my income shrunk to a fraction (about 30%) of what I had been making, but it also hit poor people hard, and they don't have things like unemployment insurance.

Yeah, we need to fix our problems, but no it does not have to come at the expense of caring less about the more needy.

Quote:
Eventually, we may be "One World." I would love to see that in my lifetime, but probably won't. Open borders, no nationalities... Great! But, we will still have poverty somewhere, the wealthy will still set the rules to their advantage, and therefore the playing field will never be even.

What is your point? Should we not try just because it's daunting? Should one life not be saved just because someone else will always be dying. The spread of hopelessness is cruel, it's writing off humans suffering as an inevitability and ignoring that making just one bit of difference can mean so much to people.

Nobody is saying everyone should set out to change the world but there's no reason you can't improve your corner of it, and work towards an improvement. You may not be able to save the starving millions but you may be able to save one. I'm saying that's worth it, even if we can't save everyone every person we can save is worth saving.

And the bottom line is that we can and that we can afford to. We may not be obligated to, and I'll leave it up to each person to decide what they "should" do, as Cyclo puts it, but I'll forever argue against the notions that it's a lost cause just because we can't end poverty overnight.

Like I said to Cyclo, that is the fallacy of demanding impossible perfection to indict trying at all to make a difference.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 12:43 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Of course you did, several times, with your comments about how they have 3 cars and Plasma TVs.

I never once said 3 cars. Rolling Eyes I believe, Thomas introduced that claim about what I said when he claimed it was an exaggeration (while himself exaggerating what I said and applying it to the poor).

I was also not talking about the American "poor", I was responding to hawkeye's comment about the lower 80% of Americans. The lower 80% of America is not "poor". Not even by American standards of poverty.

I express disdain for the concept that the lower 80% of Americans are as badly off as the people I am talking about (and yes, they typically have plasma TVs and cars) but I have no disdain for the American poor.

Also note that I already clarified that I was not talking about poor when MsOlga made this claim, and clarified that I was talking about Hawkeye's 80%. What's a guy got to do to get a modicum of intellectual honesty around here?

But hey, at least we are recycling (the straw men).

Quote:
You specifically disdain the concept that these people are 'poor' compared to actual poor folks.

This is not disdain for the poor, it's disdain for stupid comparisons on an able2know thread. I can love the poor and hate stupidity can't I?

Quote:
This is the equivalent of the point I was making. Your 'more level playing field' comes directly at cost to our wealth and standard of living. And most Americans don't see the benefit in that at this time.

Then they are inordinately selfish as I was saying. They value them and theirs more than the more needy. I see value in improving the lives of the more needy, that so many don't is precisely what I am ranting about.

Secondly, this is an appeal to popularity fallacy in which you are trying to argue against what I say is the right thing to do on the basis of it being unpopular.

If the whole world thinks the world is flat, it doesn't make it flat.

Quote:
An example. I have to go to the dentist, because one of my teeth is hurting. I know that around the world people have MUCH worse dental problems than I do - ones which would make anyone cringe with empathy. But I have a limited amount of money, and I'm going to go to the dentist for myself before I spend my money helping others do so, because my goddamn tooth hurts.

I didn't say anything on this thread about giving money to others. You guys keep going back to it for a reason: your straw men are easier to knock down than what my arguments actually say.

I know it all boils down to every man for himself, and I've not said a word here about how American should be giving everything away. I am just saying they should allow a more level playing field.

Funny thing is, you already agreed with this but for some reason are passionately in love with straw men to argue against for some reason and trying to make my position out to be saying you should give your sore tooth money away.

Let me make what I think about that clear: keep your sore tooth money (or spend it on sore tooth alleviation). Change your attitude about prioritizing based on nationality lottery.

I'm not asking you to give anything away, I'm asking you to value your fellow man as equals regardless of nationality.

Quote:
The abstract notion of helping the poor in other countries is never going to supplant the desire to help the poor in one's own country, not until our world organization is drastically different then it is today.

It's only abstract to the insular perspective that never sees it and that prefers to erect a straw man factory than facing the uncomfortable reality.

And secondly, to keep batting 1000 (fallacies per argument) this is an is/ought fallacy.

What is does not mean what should be. Telling me that people aren't interested in what is right doesn't indict what is right.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 01:00 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:

I didn't say anything on this thread about giving money to others.

Oh yes you have! Setting up our trade policies so as to benefit people in other countries, and not in order to benefit our country, is in in practice 'giving money to others.'

Yaknow, your argument has been kindof all over the place in this thread - as much as anyone else's has - and if you're just going to accuse everyone who talks to you of doing nothing but creating strawmen, it's pretty boring and I'm not going to continue.

Quote:
If the whole world thinks the world is flat, it doesn't make it flat.

This is a poor example.

The shape of the world is a provable, scientific fact. Opinions about what money should or should not be spent on are not provable facts. Societal morality at this time, on a global scale, dictates that problems which take place closer to home are of a greater concern then those which take place abroad, even if the magnitude of those abroad are worse.

If the majority of the world believes that their parochial interests are more important then that of those abroad, I'd say it's a pretty good indicator that - as I have maintained all along - what you are railing against is human nature. It doesn't have one thing to do with being American at all.

Quote:
Let me make what I think about that clear: keep your sore tooth money (or spend it on sore tooth alleviation). Change your attitude about prioritizing based on nationality lottery.

I'm still going to go with: no. And if you think this is an immoral way to live one's life, that's fine with me. America has the ability to succeed right now for a variety of reasons, only some of which are 'luck' or a lottery. Protecting America's interests and the ability to continue to be a leader in terms of technological development are more important to me than solving the problems of the world.

I would add that I support having greatly increased immigration, and anyone who can make it here should be free to join our system. Any country who wants to become an affiliate of the new American empire should be able to do so as well. But for those countries who want to zealously guard their independence and national/cultural identity, I cannot recommend policies which focus on improving the lives of their citizens at the cost of ours.

Cycloptichorn
Thomas

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 01:13 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Of course you did, several times, with your comments about how they have 3 cars and Plasma TVs.

He did not say that. He said Americans are considered poor when they don't have 2 cars and 3 TVs. It's true that I misquoted that. (Sorry!) It's also true that even the correct quote is an exaggeration. But in spite of all that, the core of his message remains true: People who are poor as in "can't afford a car" have a weaker claim on our consciences than people who are poor as in "can't even afford tap water -- or any clean water for that matter". And the lion's share of America's poor are poor by the first standard and not the second.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 01:14 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

He did not say that. He said Americans are considered poor when they don't have 2 cars and 3 TVs. It's true that I misquoted that. (Sorry!) It's also true that even the correct quote is an exaggeration. But in spite of all that, the core of his message remains true: People who are poor as in "can't afford a car" have a weaker claim on our consciences than people who are poor as in "can't even afford tap water -- or any clean water for that matter".

Fair enough, now we've all misquoted someone on this thread and attacked them for it Laughing

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 01:27 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
In fact, I'm going to develop my argument a step further.

I am a proponent of the ultimate survival of the human race as a whole over the longest time periods imaginable. Our primary and overriding concern at this time should be the colonization of space and whatever moons, planets, planetoids, or other stars we possibly can. In my opinion this dwarfs all other concerns as a question of what our national and species' priorities should be. I would rather see that 40 billion dollars spent on establishing a future for all of humanity, away of the confines of this planet, then see it be spent on feeding people.

It's just a question of which actions can do the most good in the long run for the most people. Spreading our biological base out to the farthest extent possible guarantees us a future. Feeding the poor does not. Ergo, the choice is easy to make regarding what actions we should take.

I don't mean to derail your thread, I just wanted to give you an example of the factors which underlie my thought process on this issue.

Cycloptichorn
failures art

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 01:57 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I do agree RG. I think there is a somewhat of a failure for us to get on the same frequency here, because I think we are saying many of the same things.

Also, I think you addressed my typo. I was speaking about a room of people with two legs (us) discussing the merits of people with one leg (1st world poor) versus those with no legs (3rd world poor). I understand that there is a difference between the men with one and the men with no legs. I'm simply saying that both receive my compassion because I am so fortunate to have both my legs.

-I think you see me saying that the man with one leg is worth compassion, and you don't think I appreciate the life the man with no legs has.

-I think I see you focus so much on the man with no legs that I worry you're too dismissive of the man with one leg.

I guess I'm of the mindset that a people with two legs (us), are not the correct actors to be making judgement calls on one leg versus none. We simply need to appreciate our legs, and help those without.

Cheers

A
R
T
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 03:40 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Oh yes you have! Setting up our trade policies so as to benefit people in other countries, and not in order to benefit our country, is in in practice 'giving money to others.'

No, it is not, they are fundamentally different actions even if the results are vaguely similar. This is disingenuous wordplay. Tweaking rules to level a playing field will result in them earning more money, but that does not equate to giving away money.

I am not asking for Americans to give up their plasma TVs or their dental work for the poor, I am asking them to give foreign products and foreign people a more level playing field in the economy.

This is only a handout, and "giving away money" in your wordplay.

Quote:
Yaknow, your argument has been kindof all over the place in this thread - as much as anyone else's has - and if you're just going to accuse everyone who talks to you of doing nothing but creating strawmen, it's pretty boring and I'm not going to continue.

Ok, point it out then. I give you clear examples of your straw men. I give you clear examples of your intellectual dishonesty.

Show me mine and I'll fix it (like I did when you clarified what it was you didn't give a **** about), otherwise I think you are just doing the child-like gainsay along the lines of "you too."

Quote:
The shape of the world is a provable, scientific fact. Opinions about what money should or should not be spent on are not provable facts.

The different levels of subjectivity between the two simply does not fix that you are making a fallacious appeal to popularity.

This is another red herring. Take away my world is flat example if you want, and your fallacy is still fallacious. Popularity is not a measure of correctness. Appealing to popularity in this argument is a fallacy. Your position can be the most unpopular in the world and that doesn't make it wrong.

Quote:
If the majority of the world believes that their parochial interests are more important then that of those abroad, I'd say it's a pretty good indicator that - as I have maintained all along - what you are railing against is human nature. It doesn't have one thing to do with being American at all.

Appeal to popularity again. The whole world isn't filthy rich either, so you don't get to pretend like that is an inherently "human" issue. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Protecting America's interests and the ability to continue to be a leader in terms of technological development are more important to me than solving the problems of the world.

And this is ugly Americanism. You value our technological leadership more than billions of lives and it's disgusting.

Why does technological leadership for a tribe and their lines in the sand mean more to you than billions of other people, their hopes and their dreams?

Quote:
I would add that I support having greatly increased immigration, and anyone who can make it here should be free to join our system.

Great! I do to, and since it took Bill's moralizing to get you there I hold out hope that you'll one day value humans as much as American technological superiority.

Quote:
Any country who wants to become an affiliate of the new American empire should be able to do so as well. But for those countries who want to zealously guard their independence and national/cultural identity, I cannot recommend policies which focus on improving the lives of their citizens at the cost of ours.

I see you are starting to add caveats. Maybe you'll crack.

What if the people are super subservient to America and take leave of their "zeal" (whatever the hell it is you are trying to say with that). Will you then value them as humans as much as American technological superiority or will our technological superiority still be worth more than their lives?
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 03:48 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
He did not say that. He said Americans are considered poor when they don't have 2 cars and 3 TVs.

Unless there's some other post you are referring to that I've forgotten, I didn't say that either.

As far as I remember, I was responding to hawkeye's 80% of America argument and kuvaz's 90% of America argument about wealth distribution.

The lower 80-90% of America can afford cars (as in the group has cars, not as in each person has 3) and televisions (as in there is more than one television in this group) and Air Jordans.

They may still be struggling in America relative to the top 10% but these folks are not "poor" even in America and obviously don't compare to the starving masses.

I was arguing against the notion that American wealth distribution makes it a more dire need (for this long-suffering bottom 90% of America) than starving folks. Maybe elsewhere there is a 3-car, 3-TV post someone snuck in under my name, but I don't know where that is coming from.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 03:53 pm
http://feedingamerica.org/faces-of-hunger/hunger-in-america-2010/hunger-report-2010.aspx
Hunger in America 2010 is the largest study of domestic hunger, providing comprehensive and statistically-valid data on our emergency food distribution system and the people Feeding America serves. Hunger in America 2010 is extremely detailed, drawing on data from more than 61,000 interviews with clients and surveys of 37,000 feeding agencies.

The report shows that hunger is increasing at an alarming rate in the United States, and our network is expanding its reach in response:

Feeding America is annually providing food to 37 million Americans, including 14 million children. This is an increase of 46 percent over 2006, when we were feeding 25 million Americans, including 9 million children, each year.
That means one in eight Americans now rely on Feeding America for food and groceries.
Feeding America's nationwide network of food banks is feeding 1 million more Americans each week than we did in 2006.
Thirty-six percent of the households we serve have at least one person working.
More than one-third of client households report having to choose between food and other basic necessities, such as rent, utilities and medical care.
The number of children the Feeding America network serves has increased by 50 percent since 2006.
To learn more:

Key findings
Executive Summary (PDF)
Full Report (PDF)

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 03:55 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:
Also, I think you addressed my typo. I was speaking about a room of people with two legs (us) discussing the merits of people with one leg (1st world poor) versus those with no legs (3rd world poor). I understand that there is a difference between the men with one and the men with no legs. I'm simply saying that both receive my compassion because I am so fortunate to have both my legs.

Sure, but I never said anything about American poor not deserving compassion. But even with the typo fixed, who do you offer the chair to?

The guy with 2 legs? The guy with one leg? Or the guy with no legs?

It's not a tough concept, there is clearly greater needs and prioritization by need is fairer than by nationality, race, or religion. If I offered a young buddy my seat on the bus because he's American instead of the frail old foreign lady would you find that to be an ugly display of nationalism?

Quote:
-I think you see me saying that the man with one leg is worth compassion, and you don't think I appreciate the life the man with no legs has.

No, I'm saying you have a hard time admitting something simple: the guy with no legs needs the chair more. That doesn't mean we have to have no compassion for the guy with one leg, let's find him a chair right after we seat the unlucky bastard with no legs.

Quote:
-I think I see you focus so much on the man with no legs that I worry you're too dismissive of the man with one leg.

How so (in practice)?

Quote:
I guess I'm of the mindset that a people with two legs (us), are not the correct actors to be making judgement calls on one leg versus none. We simply need to appreciate our legs, and help those without.

Why on earth do you say this? I certainly believe I have the capacity to make obvious judgement calls on greatest need and I have enough faith in your intellect to be able to make such judgement calls as well.

In other words, I believe you can count legs. If it's not clear who needs the seat to you, I think you are intentionally avoiding making such a distinction and I don't see, for the life of me (other than it being an uncomfortable thing to think about) why.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 04:02 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I am a proponent of the ultimate survival of the human race as a whole over the longest time periods imaginable.

Why? Why is propagation of the human race so important to you? Would you prefer to have more suffering now so that more future humans can be born?

If so, what is the reasoning you have behind it (if any)?

Quote:
Our primary and overriding concern at this time should be the colonization of space and whatever moons, planets, planetoids, or other stars we possibly can.

Why is colonizing space for the future more important than feeding starving people now?

Quote:
In my opinion this dwarfs all other concerns as a question of what our national and species' priorities should be. I would rather see that 40 billion dollars spent on establishing a future for all of humanity, away of the confines of this planet, then see it be spent on feeding people.

How does your reasoning go about this? A space colonization daydream is more important than people dying here and now because...?

Quote:
It's just a question of which actions can do the most good in the long run for the most people. Spreading our biological base out to the farthest extent possible guarantees us a future. Feeding the poor does not. Ergo, the choice is easy to make regarding what actions we should take.

Why do you prioritize the "future" of non-existent people over the currently suffering ones? What do you owe those non-existent people that you don't own your fellow man now?

Quote:
I don't mean to derail your thread, I just wanted to give you an example of the factors which underlie my thought process on this issue.

Well you boggled my mind enough that I can't help but derail it too. I don't get why you prioritize the suffering of people who don't yet exist, through a means that may not even help them, more than people who do exist and suffer right now. So explain away, this is a very odd perspective to me and I'd like to hear how you justify it to yourself.
Thomas

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 04:09 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Thomas wrote:
He did not say that. He said Americans are considered poor when they don't have 2 cars and 3 TVs.

Unless there's some other post you are referring to that I've forgotten, I didn't say that either.

Yes, you did. After your protest, I took it upon me to wade through the thread and find the quote.

Robert Gentel wrote:
Americans are so spoiled that they consider themselves poor when they have 2 cars, 3 TVs and big credit card bills. It's ridiculous.

http://able2know.org/topic/144578-4#post-3983822

Actually, I over-corrected myself.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 04:22 pm
@Thomas,
Thanks, I was wondering where the specific car/tv numbers came from as I didn't remember saying the 3 cars that were being attributed to me (I suspect the average household has 3 TVs but not 3 cars). But to make it clear, I am referencing the bottom 80-90% population arguments about how our wealth might as well be in "Siberia" for them due to wealth distribution.

I don't consider the lower 80% of America to be poor but readily admit that the real American poor (not the 13% that is below the official American poverty line) don't have cars and TVs.

Here's more on the relative affluence of who we consider to be poor (based on the American poverty line):

Quote:
Poverty now comes with a color TV
Census data find an ever-growing material prosperity, with formerly high-dollar luxury items now commonplace in even poor households.

In case there was any doubt, a study has confirmed that Americans have a lot of what economists know, technically, as stuff.
The computer has surpassed the dishwasher as a standard household appliance. The poorest Americans have posted a sharp rise in access to air conditioning. The richest Americans still own the most cars, but they are choosing to own slightly fewer of them than they used to.

Quote:
Poor, but more comfortable
The study doesn't explore the happiness factor -- whether the growing material prosperity is actually making people feel more satisfied with their lives. While economists tend to focus on things that can be measured in dollars and cents, the spiritual side of the economy has begun to garner more attention. That's partly because some research has found that once people gain a modest sufficiency in goods, further increases in income don't result in rising happiness. Census researchers don't have a happiness index, but they are exploring aspects of well-being that go beyond physical goods. For example, nearly 13% of Americans have incomes that place them below the official poverty line. But what does that mean in terms of their daily lives? The fact that 95% of them may have a refrigerator tells only part of the story.

The Census report also compares, from 1992 through 1998, people's perceptions of whether basic needs were being met. More than 92% of Americans below the poverty line said they had enough food, as of 1998. Some 86% said they had no unmet need for a doctor, 89% had no roof leaks, and 87% said they had no unpaid rent or mortgage.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 05:19 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:

Why? Why is propagation of the human race so important to you? Would you prefer to have more suffering now so that more future humans can be born?

The propagation of the human race is the ultimate message and mission of the only real piece of life on this planet - DNA. It is our duty to take all possible actions to continue the race in perpetuity.

Quote:
If so, what is the reasoning you have behind it (if any)?

Humans exist to provide meaning to the Universe, which - absent an outside observer - is like heaven's choir playing in an empty hall.

Quote:
Why is colonizing space for the future more important than feeding starving people now?

Is this a serious question? C'mon.

Individual people will die no matter what we do, for a wide variety of reasons. This is guaranteed. However, the survival of our entire race is not guaranteed. Instead, it is quite precarious. Until we have viable colonies off-planet it will continue to be precarious. Individual people's lives are not important when considered against the survival of the entire race.

Quote:
How does your reasoning go about this? A space colonization daydream is more important than people dying here and now because...?

Just because you haven't put any serious thought into the future of space travel and colonization, Robert, doesn't make it a 'daydream.' It is a reality and the reality we all must prepare for.

Quote:
Why do you prioritize the "future" of non-existent people over the currently suffering ones?

Because the current population of humanity is trivial compared to our eventual population - IF we can guarantee that they will have a chance to exist. Maximum good is achieved by allowing our population base to expand maximally, not ensuring the best possible life for individual units.

Quote:
What do you owe those non-existent people that you don't own your fellow man now?

I don't owe either of them anything, certainly not in the sense you mean it. Instead I owe it to myself to focus on a more optimum goal, instead of getting bogged down with minor ones.

Quote:
Well you boggled my mind enough that I can't help but derail it too. I don't get why you prioritize the suffering of people who don't yet exist, through a means that may not even help them, more than people who do exist and suffer right now. So explain away, this is a very odd perspective to me and I'd like to hear how you justify it to yourself.

I'm not prioritizing the 'suffering' of people who don't exist yet, I'm prioritizing the ability for them to exist. Countless trillions of them, so many as to dwarf the current population as nothing. To say that focusing on giving them the ability to live 'may not even help them' is indicative of a lack of understanding of what I'm talking about on your part.

Humanity is like a body. The body is comprised of cells (humans), who more or less work together to keep the whole organism running. The purpose of the organism is not to ensure the greatest life possible for each individual cell, but instead to continue the life of the organism. This is essentially how I see Humanity and it's why I prioritize continuing the life of the organism over ensuring that each cell is given the best life possible.

I do not believe that the end of suffering or of hunger will come about through direct intervention. I believe this true because history has shown me every reason to believe that this is true. You rail against Americans for showing the same characteristics that ALL Humans share, as if they(we) are specially guilty of these things.

I don't foresee either America or any other nation in the world changing to support the policies that you champion. I really don't.

Do you? I doubt you do.

This whole thread seems like mostly a place for you to vent about the fact that others don't share your moral conceptions. That's cool with me, as you've said earlier I've done it plenty of times myself. But I must tell you that to date you have not really convinced me that I should work to change our policies in this area... and I must reiterate, that decisions on your part to condemn me for having different ideas about where our policies and priorities should be focused are not meaningful to me in the slightest.

Every time Okie or someone else here accuses me of being an ultra-liberal, I'm going to link to this series of posts just to show 'em that others make me look downright Conservative.

Cycloptichorn
failures art

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 07:41 pm
@Robert Gentel,
You offer the man with no legs the chair... if you can. As it was pointed out earlier in this thread, we Americans produce an incredible amount of food waste. I can give that food to a better off American homeless person, but I can't give that excess food to the person across the seas in Africa because there is no real way to store and transfer that food.

You yourself said in the moral compass thread (many overlapping themes both here and there IMO)...
Robert Gentel wrote:
If you can't imagine a situation where there is a "right" solider to prioritize maybe you need a better moral compass. My moral compass works fine in such a situation.

1) If there are any soldiers who will simply not survive, efforts should prioritize those who will. As an example of how this fits my "suffering" criterion this reduces suffering of their loved ones immensely while you can not do so with the one who will not survive.

2) If there are any soldiers with more acute suffering, efforts should prioritize them. If one has a splinter, and the other a gaping wound it's clear that their care can be prioritized.

3) All other things being equal, the goal should be to minimize as much suffering as possible (spread out the care as well as you can).

Briefly switching metaphors, you said the field medic should choose to save who they can first. As I said in the other thread, I don't think moral dilemmas are ever neat and clean. The man with one leg is the first world poor. He may deserve the care less than that man with no legs, but he's often the one that can get the care and have it work.

I don't think you disagree. I believe this has been your point in the first place about why it's better to be poor in the USA vice that of the 3rd world. I guess I'd like to offer the chair to the man with no legs, but currently, I think we lack a social/political vehicle to make our help effective (a way for us to give the chair to the man with no legs).

I've been doing some reading between posts trying to find good ways to help. I'm convinced right now that the most effective way to improve the lives and public health in the 3rd world is to help provide clean water.

There are two stories I read about which I'm trying to find more info on. One was a about a man who made a machine that purifies water in large volume and low energy. His machine costs about $10,000, but could easily provide water for an entire village. The second story was about a water purification method they've been using in Haiti since the earthquake with a special type of clay pot. It's slower, but significantly cheaper, like $20 per pot. I think I remember the pots could clean 20+ gallons of water per day. Pretty good.

I think this is where I'm going to break off and focus some energy.

A
R
T
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 08:33 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
The propagation of the human race is the ultimate message and mission of the only real piece of life on this planet - DNA. It is our duty to take all possible actions to continue the race in perpetuity.

Why? We are wired to do this but why is it a "duty". See, if you say we aren't even responsible for our fellow man, what the hell makes us responsible for our whole species and its future?

Quote:
Humans exist to provide meaning to the Universe, which - absent an outside observer - is like heaven's choir playing in an empty hall.

How did you arrive at the conclusion that humans exist to provide meaning to the Universe? Is this 42? The meaning of life to you?

Quote:
Quote:

Is this a serious question? C'mon.

Dead serious, I want to know what kind of logic you use to claim we have a "duty" to unborn people but not to ones around us right now.

Quote:
However, the survival of our entire race is not guaranteed.

So? What value is there in prolonging the existence of our species? It will go extinct like any other species one day. Eternity is a long time.

Quote:
Individual people's lives are not important when considered against the survival of the entire race.

Why? What is the point of the survival of the human race if not for the very humans that make it up?

Quote:
Just because you haven't put any serious thought into the future of space travel and colonization, Robert, doesn't make it a 'daydream.' It is a reality and the reality we all must prepare for.

I've put plenty of thought into it Cyclo, enough at least to realize that space colonization is not currently a "reality", it's still a "dream" if you will (drop the "day" if you do it at night or something).

I'm not saying it will never happen, or even trying to disparage the dream, but I am saying that there's a decent chance that you could be electing to spend resources on it prematurely. You know, an investment before its time or something.

Quote:
Because the current population of humanity is trivial compared to our eventual population - IF we can guarantee that they will have a chance to exist.

Why? You just keep repeating that the goal of species propagation is greater than human life now, but not why. What is the point?

Quote:
Maximum good is achieved by allowing our population base to expand maximally, not ensuring the best possible life for individual units.

What is your logic for determining that this is "good"?

Quote:
I don't owe either of them anything, certainly not in the sense you mean it. Instead I owe it to myself to focus on a more optimum goal, instead of getting bogged down with minor ones.

Ok, why is it a "duty" however you mean it?

Quote:
I'm not prioritizing the 'suffering' of people who don't exist yet, I'm prioritizing the ability for them to exist.

Ok, then why are you prioritizing the ability of people to exist more than the lives of the people who currently do?

"Toss the baby out, but save all that sperm!"

Quote:
Countless trillions of them, so many as to dwarf the current population as nothing.

But they don't exist, and can't miss not existing by not existing. Basically, I'm saying that if the human race doesn't survive they won't mind.

Quote:
To say that focusing on giving them the ability to live 'may not even help them' is indicative of a lack of understanding of what I'm talking about on your part.

No it doesn't. Spending our resources now on space colonization is simply not guaranteed to do a thing to keep our species alive. In other words, the tremendous expense you advocate may do not a whit towards your goal.

We have no way of knowing if we even must colonize space within the next 100 years for the human race to survive (if you don't care about the live ones then you shouldn't care about contractions in the population cycle).

Quote:
The purpose of the organism is not to ensure the greatest life possible for each individual cell, but instead to continue the life of the organism.

Upon what basis do you declare the "purpose" of all humanity and it's every last member? Maybe you can decide your purpose is the propagation of the human race, I can buy that, but upon what basis do you declare that it is mine?

Quote:
This is essentially how I see Humanity and it's why I prioritize continuing the life of the organism over ensuring that each cell is given the best life possible.

I get that, but why? What is your underlying moral compass, the logic upon which your positions like this rest?

And I know I'm being awful inquisitive here, but I'd really like to see you take this as deep as you are able to logically.

Quote:
I do not believe that the end of suffering or of hunger will come about through direct intervention. I believe this true because history has shown me every reason to believe that this is true.

So? Blowing our resources doesn't change that we will one day be extinct either, so if you dismiss efforts to alleviate suffering and hunger on the basis of it not being able to guarantee the end of suffering and hunger what makes you want to blow our load on the equally impossible notion of species survival.

You are just gonna buy some more years at best, just like we'd "just" save some but not all of the lives.

Quote:
You rail against Americans for showing the same characteristics that ALL Humans share, as if they(we) are specially guilty of these things.

Didn't you just tell me recently that selfishness is the "American way" yourself? Anyway, I don't know why you are so hung up on "they do it too", as if two wrongs would make a right.

Yes, Cyclo, there are non-American selfish people, but not all of them are filthy rich and insular. Not all of them sell themselves a narrative of soldier worship and spend so much money on killing the other citizens of the world. America does have sins particular to America that it can and should address whether or not the rest of the world is selfish.

Quote:
I don't foresee either America or any other nation in the world changing to support the policies that you champion. I really don't.

Do you? I doubt you do.

Like just about every one of your arguments in this thread, I would like to point out that it is a logical fallacy. It doesn't matter if they will do it in a debate about what is ideal.

If we lived 500 years ago and were discussing slavery would the fact that the world was not ready to give it up have made it right? No, it wouldn't. This is the appeal to popularity fallacy yet again (and I call you intellectually dishonest because you know this, it's been pointed out to you time and time again).

But to answer your question yes I do. In my lifetime the trend has been very strong towards globalization, increased economic contagion, freer trade, and more outsourcing to developing economies.

The things I propose (which I'm not sure you even are paying much attention to) are things I find very viable.

Quote:
This whole thread seems like mostly a place for you to vent about the fact that others don't share your moral conceptions.

So? Indict the logic then, why is it you turned into a fallacy factory?

Quote:
But I must tell you that to date you have not really convinced me that I should work to change our policies in this area... and I must reiterate, that decisions on your part to condemn me for having different ideas about where our policies and priorities should be focused are not meaningful to me in the slightest.

I can live with failing to convince you, and I don't care if telling you that your values are wacky is not meaningful to you. That isn't going to stop me from opining about it because it's meaningful to me.

Quote:
Every time Okie or someone else here accuses me of being an ultra-liberal, I'm going to link to this series of posts just to show 'em that others make me look downright Conservative.

I don't see this as a liberal/conservative thing as much as a matter of nationalism vs humanism. I am far more conservative than are you, and far less nationalistic.

But quit being an offended American for a minute to chew on my proposals. What do you object to out of these?

1) A program that rewards developing nations that take steps towards development and democracy with tariff exemptions.

2) Rejection of attempts to punish American companies from hiring overseas (it's not really that viable anyway). Let the global marketplace of workers compete for the global marketplace of jobs with less segmentation of the marketplace.

3) A severe reduction in our military spending and military "interventions" during peacetime. You know, basically just kill fewer of the world's citizens with American tax money.

4) Increased access to legal immigration (especially skilled workers, the H1B visa situation is a joke, those are valuable to America). Things like an entrepreneur visa. If you are going to invest in America then come and do it. At least that kind of stuff is self-serving immigration.

5) A guest worker program that allows migrant workers to work in America.

6) Promotion of debt relief for developing nations that take steps towards democracy and development (in this case mainly focusing on corruption and fiscal responsibility).

7) A commitment to dedicate 1% of our GDP to foreign aid (Sweden does it, before you start the nobody-else-does-what-you-propose canard).

So, angry American aside you are still pretty liberal, what qualms do you even have with this?
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 08:39 pm
@failures art,
I have no problems with Americans helping Americans, I have no problems with local aid even if foreign aid might be more needed.

I have, however, a problem with national selfishness where we advocate not that we need to help the poor in America, but keep others out, keep their products out, charge them high interest rates and the like.

I am talking about when we appeal to the misery of our poor to justify national selfishness and protectionism and things like that, not whether you give your leftover food to an American or a Somalian (or even if you give your donations to an American charity or a Somalian).

Hell I think Americans should take care of their own with their charity, we have more than enough for that. I'm saying we don't need to try to gain competitive edges over developing economies to do it, I have no problem with someone who focuses their charity at home, but this topic has not been about charity but national policies and national attitudes that I find selfish.