Helping Americans understand just how rich we are

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 09:57 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Dude, no it is not! I know college-educated people who have come here from MANY other countries. They are not coming here to make minimum wage, and the fact is that they don't.

What an idiotic thing to say, those are the rich (do you know what a college educated person who studies abroad is in India? a rich guy!) from other countries and they do not magically make the billions of poor disappear.

Quote:
Enough with the gross exaggerations. You make being poor in America out to be some sort of magical dreamland. What a crock of ****!

Would the poor in America trade places with the poor in India? NO!

Would the poor in India trade places with the poor in America? In a heartbeat!

Nuff said. You live in denial of being filthy ******* rich.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 10:14 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
The conditions in those sweatshops & the rape of the environment in these developing countries do not have to be an inevitable outcome of the industrialization.

They don't have to be, but avoiding them means barriers to the development and more misery. The bottom line is that the sweatshops are an improvement on their lives. Sometimes first worlders demand that it improve to the point where the sweatshop is not viable and they go back to the garbage heap and this is typical first-worlder ignorance that I rage about that hurts the poor more than it helps.

And as for the environment, I think first-world economies should pick up the emissions slack for the developing world instead of trying to saddle them with that handicap.

Environmentalism is a huge handicap to countries undergoing industrialization and the handful of filthy rich countries that have already gone through this process without the handicap should stop being so ******* niggardly about this.

America is a great example, we'd rather point our finger at China's polution while they are rapidly developing than cut our own emissions. The reason is that it's an economic handicap to do so, and the motivation is selfishness.

Quote:
Much of this is done courtesy of obscenely wealthy multinational companies who could well afford to to do far better in these respects. They wouldn't dream of imposing similar working conditions or harming the environment to such an extent in the countries they are based in.

If they had to meet the same standards, they may not be there in the first place.

Look, I'm not saying companies can't do more, or that concern for labor and environmental conditions is entirely misplaced. But I am saying that these are fundamental economic disadvantages.

First-world countries resist such regulation (such as emissions control) because it makes their economy less competitive. And countries that focus on the environmentalism and labor conditions of other countries are usually engaging in a kind of selfishness that is more concerned with the trade balance with the other country than the issues at hand.

So in short, while labor conditions and environmental sensitivity are great ideals they are used as pretexts for selfish economic policies. First worlders are so quick to start at home when it comes to their poor, and they should do the same when it comes to regulating labor conditions and environment.

Quote:
It would be against the law, as they know perfectly well. Their motive is maximum profit, bugger the consequences. Not altruistic motives of "helping" the poor of those countries.

They don't need altruistic motives to help the poor though. And your altruistic motives don't necessarily help the poor.

Quote:
Sure there will be short-term financial gain for the poor of those countries as a result of being exploited in these sweat shops, but what about the long-term consequences of irresponsible industrialization?

What about it? Welcome to the first-world club, which of them aren't there as the consequence of the same process of industrialization?

Quote:
Who will be cleaning up the mess when these powerful businesses move on to their next big profit making opportunity?

I think you aren't understanding how it works very well. As they economy develops further it migrates away from industrialization. Dirty industrialization is an early step in national development. The service sector (finance, tourism, etc) can come later but industrialization for all its warts is the step where they stop eating **** and get jobs (albeit shitty ones).

Quote:
I strongly suspect that the children of these workers & their children might not be quite so grateful for what is occurring now.

Without the sweatshop the kids beg on the street and pick through the garbage. This is lifting people up and is a good thing.

Quote:
Long term consequences are just as important, probably more important in my book, that these current short-term "gains".

Sure, but you don't have any point about long term consequences. This is a basic industrialization process that the first world already went through. The long-term consequences is to develop a nation (see South Korea, Japan as examples of shining success in this process).
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 10:16 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
I'm tired of hearing Americans with cable TV, cars, and Air Jordans complain about being poor. They don't begin to understand what poor is.

To help along the intuitions of our American correspondents: The average annual income on this planet is about $10,000. And that's after accounting for purchasing power. In other words, the average citizen of the world is poor, as judged by US income statistics.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 10:21 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
What an idiotic thing to say, those are the rich (do you know what a college educated person who studies abroad is in India? a rich guy!) from other countries and they do not magically make the billions of poor disappear.

You don't know what the **** you are talking about. I personally know many people who attended universities in India. They were college-educated abroad and then moved to American to work in the High-tech industry. Several of these people came from villages that don't have electricity or plumbing. My wife's family comes from villages in India like this on one side and slums of Mumbai on the other so I have a lot of personal experience with people from these areas.

They weren't 'rich' in India and they didn't come hear dreaming of being poor in America. They came here dreaming of being RICH in America. Your exaggeration is killing your argument.

Quote:
Nuff said. You live in denial of being filthy ******* rich.

Just to sum up my position over the last few posts: you are incorrect about the plight of the poor in America. You minimalize their problems because other people have it worse. You don't magically become correct simply because you put things in bold and make declarative statements over and over again.

And you can call me whatever names you like, but I will continue to support the economic policies that I believe benefit America the most. We are deeply in debt and deficit right now and frankly I don't give a **** about the plight of people around the world at this time; we have to get our own house in order before trying to worry about fixing up everyone else's.

Cycloptichorn
Thomas

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 10:27 am
@kuvasz,
kuvasz wrote:
To cast the terms in context one ought to recognize that 1% of Americans own 37% of the wealth and the top 10% of Americans own 72% of the wealth, while the lower 90% of Americans own 28% of the wealth... and things have only gotten worse lately for that 90%

That's a bit of a red herring, because most Americans don't live off their wealth; they live off their income. Income is more evenly distributed than wealth. For example, the top 20% of Americans earn 50% of the total income. (Source: US Census Bureau) Granted, that's still an unequal distribution of what people have to live on. But it's not nearly as dramatic as your wealth statistics make it seem.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 10:35 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
They weren't 'rich' in India and they didn't come hear dreaming of being poor in America. They came here dreaming of being RICH in America. Your exaggeration is killing your argument.

They may not come from rich beginnings but any Indian who makes it overseas to get educated is among the most fortunate minority of Indians.

They aren't taking minimum wage jobs because they ARE the richest of Indians. Using them to ignore the billions of poor Indians is stuipid.

Quote:
Just to sum up my position over the last few posts: you are incorrect about the plight of the poor in America. You minimalize their problems because other people have it worse.

If merely showing that others have it much worse is to "minimize" their problems then I am guilty as charged.

The bottom line is they have it very good compared to most of the world.

Quote:
You don't magically become correct simply because you put things in bold and make declarative statements over and over again.

Just because you can't indict the content you indict the font. Here it is again for you with no bold:

The "poor" you champion would never trade places with the real poor I champion. Do you dispute this? Of course not, you can't. But you can do a bang-up job at picking on bold font can't you?

Quote:
And you can call me whatever names you like, but I will continue to support the economic policies that I believe benefit America the most.

And I will support those who need it more than the filthy rich Americans because I put humans above country.

Quote:
We are deeply in debt and deficit right now and frankly I don't give a **** about the plight of people around the world at this time; we have to get our own house in order before trying to worry about fixing up everyone else's.

And I am here to tell you that this is a selfish attitude that is just not toward (valuing the plasma TV of your compatriot more than the life of the starving poor). It requires ignoring real poverty in favor of the mild misfortunes of your compatriots so it's no surprise that you object to having this clear inequality pointed out, even if it's done in bold face.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 10:40 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
That's a bit of a red herring, because most Americans don't live off their wealth; they live off their income
for a lot of years the middle class was using their homes a piggy banks, so you assertion is not completely true. I think that your number is wrong as well, s I have the top 20% taking 60% of income
http://sociology.ucsc.edu/whorulesamerica/power/wealth.html
msolga

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 10:43 am
@Thomas,
The "average" income of workers in any country means nought to someone who is destitute & homeless & living on the streets, it means nothing to elderly pensioners who can't afford to eat properly & can't afford urgent medical or dental work & pay the rent, too, it means nothing to children of families in dire circumstances ...
Why are were comparing the very poor & disadvantaged of one country with another, as if there's some virtue in being at the bottom of the barrel in a wealthy country compared to an underdeveloped one? It's a crap existence anywhere. As if any of us have any control over the way governments (including those of "poor" countries) spend obscene amounts of money on stupid wars, as if any of us have any control about about the distribution of wealth in India (were poverty could be eradicated if the rights to obscene wealth by a few were not so entrenched ), as if ordinary people can have any control at all over the fall-out from the global recession ....
I don't know, I'm finding this extremely frustrating.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 10:44 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
And I am here to tell you that this is a selfish attitude that is just not toward (valuing the plasma TV of your compatriot more than the life of the starving poor). It requires ignoring real poverty in favor of the mild misfortunes of your compatriots so it's no surprise that you object to having this clear inequality pointed out, even if it's done in bold face.

The problem is that you put 'correcting this inequality' higher than other priorities. It is not higher than other priorities simply because you declare it to be so. You keep bringing up things like Air Jordans and Plasma TVs as an effect of Exaggeration, but it has nothing to do with our argument at all.

The future of the human race is not dependent on helping the poor rise up out of poverty. It is dependent on continued scientific growth and exploration. It is not my life mission to raise people out of poverty. It is more my mission to promote policies which will lead to the long-term survival of our race. Our dollars are better spent on other things then helping poor folks in other countries - things that will benefit THEM even more then our direct aid would.

I must repeat once again that your condemnation of others' unwillingness to pay for the lives of the poor of the world is directly contradictory to your own attitude about your personal levels of taxation. I'm sure we would have a lot more money to help out the poor in other countries if we jacked up YOUR taxes to pay for it; do you support this?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 10:45 am
@msolga,
Quote:

Why are were comparing the very poor & disadvantaged of one country with another, as if there's some virtue in being at the bottom of the barrel in a wealthy country compared to an underdeveloped one? It's a crap existence anywhere.

+10, and this is the point that Robert is glossing over in his fervor.

Cycloptichorn
Thomas

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 10:54 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
I would have a whole lot more sympathy for the notion of sending work off-shore, a totally free market in labour, IF there had been some genuine prior thought & planning about the impact on unskilled workers in the so-called "wealthy" countries. In my own country, which is small fry in the grand economic global picture, the failure to protect some industries has meant that those (mainly manufacturing) industries have died out completely.

Robert can speak for himself, but I think this remark goes to the core of what he's arguing against in this thread. "Failure to protect our industries" means that Australian (or American) workers can no longer afford a car. If you think that's bad, keep in mind that "success at protecting our industries" means that 13-year-olds in Cambodia auction off their virginity to Australian sex tourists in filthy brothels because they can't work in a factory sewing shoes for Australian joggers. I'd rather see "failure to protect our industries". And so would Robert, as I understand him.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 10:56 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

msolga wrote:
I would have a whole lot more sympathy for the notion of sending work off-shore, a totally free market in labour, IF there had been some genuine prior thought & planning about the impact on unskilled workers in the so-called "wealthy" countries. In my own country, which is small fry in the grand economic global picture, the failure to protect some industries has meant that those (mainly manufacturing) industries have died out completely.

Robert can speak for himself, but I think this remark goes to the core of what he's arguing against in this thread. "Failure to protect our industries" means that Australian (or American) workers can no longer afford a car. If you think that's bad, keep in mind that "success at protecting our industries" means that 13-year-olds in Cambodia auction off their virginity in filthy brothels when they could sew shoes in a factory. I'd rather see "failure to protect our industries". And so would Robert, as I understand him.

Yes, but this implies a responsibility on the part of rich countries to lift poor countries out of their poverty. No such responsibility actually exists.

It isn't that I don't care about other people, or that Olga doesn't - of course we do. It simply is not the highest or only priority for any country. And that is the way it is being presented here, in the most absolutist of terms.

Cycloptichorn
Diest TKO

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 10:57 am
@Robert Gentel,
Your lipmus test is based on a few assumptions that you should reconsider RG.

It assumes that the amount of money you make is the sole determination of how well you live. I went to Poland and I make three times what someone of my education and experience makes there. Am I three times as wealthy? I am if I'm in Poland. However, if I was to move to Poland and have 1/3 my salary, my standard of living would not plummet. It would remain about the same. I'd make less money, but things also cost less.

Give an Indian an American minimum wage in India, and yes, they will be wealthy--in India. Give them the same wage in the USA, and guess what, they will still struggle. Would they still choose to come here? I'm inclined to agree with you that they would, but I think additional factors would be at play here as well. I think reducing the topic of wealth to simply income is perhaps an oversimplification.

How much money I make has to calibrated to the coast of a loaf of bread, and roof over my head. Sure the poor have more money in the USA, but it's also more expensive to survive as a poor person in the USA.

There's a lot of truth to what you're saying about what we as Americans should appreciate, and how we should take time to evaluate the value of things (like aircraft carriers) are when given the plight of other peoples. I know I could live just as happy and would not even notice if the money I pay in taxes for a fighter jet went to feeding, providing medicine, and educating a village for 20 years (at least).

I believe you lose that wisdom when you portray the American poor as being fortunate. There is no great incite from putting the poor against the poor, especially with us as the pundits.

T
K
O
Thomas

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 11:01 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Yes, but this implies a responsibility on the part of rich countries to lift poor countries out of their poverty. No such responsibility actually exists.

That's a defensible position, but freedom from responsibility cuts both ways. If I don't have to care about poor Cambodians, I don't have to care about poor Americans or Germans either. Why should the solidarity I owe to two equally poor people differ because one comes from my country and the other doesn't?
Diest TKO

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 11:06 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

That's a defensible position, but freedom from responsibility cuts both ways. If I don't have to care about poor Cambodians, I have to care about poor Americans or Germans either. I can see no principled reason why the solidarity I owe to two equally poor people should differ because of their nationality.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I feel RG is arguing that we should care less about the American poor. RG's argument seems to cut along lines of nationality.

I'm interested in what RG has to say about what (if anything) should be done to help the poor in the USA, or if his views are simply that they are not poor enough to qualify for help given the state of poverty in 3rd world countries.

T
K
O
msolga

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 11:07 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
Robert can speak for himself, but I think this remark goes to the core of what he's arguing against in this thread. "Failure to protect our industries" means that Australian (or American) workers can no longer afford a car. If you think that's bad, keep in mind that "success at protecting our industries" means that 13-year-olds in Cambodia auction off their virginity in filthy brothels when they could sew shoes in a factory. I'd rather see "failure to protect our industries". And so would Robert, as I understand him.

No, I don't think you understand, Thomas. What I was talking about was the failure of the Australian government, in it's zeal (at the time) for deregulation, to not take into account the long-term implications for the unskilled workers involved & also those dependent on them. Many have remained long-term unemployed. It has had far bigger impact than workers not owning a car. I have no problem with whole industries vanishing (as they have) my gripe is that those ex-workers (many of them older, non-English speaking migrants & ) were not catered for in any way with other employment alternatives. They became the "victims", if you like, of deregulation & jobs going off-shore.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 11:16 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

That's a defensible position, but freedom from responsibility cuts both ways. If I don't have to care about poor Cambodians, I don't have to care about poor Americans or Germans either. Why should the solidarity I owe to two equally poor people differ because one comes from my country and the other doesn't?

Money spent locally gets recycled into the local economy and helps raise the local standard of living. This improves my life directly in a variety of ways: more local shops stay in business, less homeless and poor people on the streets, lower crime. Raising the standard of living also helps more tax money to be garnered to pay down our deficit and debt, key goals of mine at this time.

Money sent abroad provides little to no tangible effects on people's lives here in the States at all. It is hardly comparable.

Cycloptichorn
Thomas

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 11:17 am
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:
It assumes that the amount of money you make is the sole determination of how well you live. I went to Poland and I make three times what someone of my education and experience makes there. Am I three times as wealthy? I am if I'm in Poland. However, if I was to move to Poland and have 1/3 my salary, my standard of living would not plummet. It would remain about the same. I'd make less money, but things also cost less.

Although that is true, international income statistics usually compensate for local differences in purchasing power. And if you compare per-capita incomes in various countries, you'll find that fairly large differences remain. A good source is the CIA World Factbook.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 11:19 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Not responsibility, it's compassion. I'm saying you are selfish, not that you have a responsibility not to be, just that you are obscenely selfish when it comes to nations.

Quote:
It simply is not the highest or only priority for any country. And that is the way it is being presented here, in the most absolutist of terms.

No, I think you have every right to be more concerned about your comfortable quality of life than the starving masses. I'm just going to call it what it is: ugly and selfish.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 11:19 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I didn't gloss over it, I debunked it. It's a total lie.

Being poor in America is heaven compared to being poor anywhere else. My personal desires in life are to be at the American poverty line or above and it's absolute nonsense that it's the same crappy existence anywhere.

Americans are so spoiled that they consider themselves poor when they have 2 cars, 3 TVs and big credit card bills. It's ridiculous.

You guys compare the poor but can't bring yourselves to concede that the majority of the world would trade places with American poor in a hearbeat.