Cable Router -- how to hook up

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 08:57 pm
Just got a cable hook-up to my computer. Read up on networking but I am told that to share my cable with the other two puters all I need is a router, ethernet cards for each and the cable to connect them to the router. Can I just plug everything into the router so the other units can share the connection at this point without actually bothering with the Networking software that comes with the XP operating system?

The router is rated 10/100, operating systems: Two units running XP, third running ME. Not sure of ethernet cards rating but I believe with the auto switching capable router this is no problem. Besides the Spousal Acceptance Factor of running the wires what problems might I encounter?
The main unit is up and running and connected and works on the net.

Router is Linksys firewall router model BEFSX41 Instant Broadband Series.

Thanks, JM
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,183 • Replies: 10
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 09:09 pm
James, I just did this exact thing. I had verizon DSL and 2 new housemates with laptops moved in. We bought a router and followed the installation booklet and it didn't work. One housemate is quickly becoming an expert on the setting up and maintaining of the connection due to the hours logged on the phone with technical support. Best of luck. Wish I could help.....

Well, one word, after trying once to do it yourself, just call tech support. Make sure you have a couple hours to spend on the phone with them.
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 07:06 pm
littlek,

We got the router to work and all three computers online via cable.
I did not network them so as to make the setup simpler. This also is more to my liking since each computer affects no other, there is no need for a Ethernet hub purchase and , most importantly there is no need to leave the one "gateway" computer on at all times so that the two slaves may access the internet whenever they wish. The router allows shared access to cable and nothing else (One can still network if so wished). I chose the more reliable and faster hardwired Ethernet cable method rather than that of Wi-Fi. The hardest part was making sure the RJ-45 connectors (Picture pregnant telephone plugs) were correctly crimped onto the Ethernet cable. Once the router was configured via its supplied CD-ROM with the one computer and the others supplied with Ethernet cards all we had to do was turn them on and they recognized the connections and we were good to go. It is my understanding that Wi-Fi is more expensive and also a little more involved where each computer must somehow be separately configured, but my son's friends have accomplished it and say it is not difficult.

I would like to thank you for your reply. I was quite surprised at the dearth of replies though (This in no way is meant to denigrate that of your own--thanks again). I also tried posting this question on Abuzz but could not get thru. But it is back up again now.

JM
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 07:15 pm
sorry james - must have been sleeping
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 07:33 pm
I'm glad it worked. You're welcome, but I didn't really help at all, did I?

We still continue to have trouble in losing our connections. One or all computers get knocked offline often. It seems to be because (among other reasons) we live in such a hot spot for wireless communications (Harvard University's bedroom).
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 10:22 pm
Husker:

You were one of the guys I was looking for a reply from! But thanks anyway for your latest post.

littlek:

Sometime just talking with someone helps. Your post gave me a heads up as to possible difficulties that allowed me to take specific action.

Thanks again.

JM
0 Replies

jpowell

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 06:40 am
JamesMorrison wrote:
littlek,
It is my understanding that Wi-Fi is more expensive and also a little more involved where each computer must somehow be separately configured, but my son's friends have accomplished it and say it is not difficult.
JM

I'm glad things worked out fine. Wi-Fi is more spendy.

But for the most part wireless should work the same as a wired connection. You should connect via DHCP, unless your ISP uses PPPoE.

My point is don't be scared of a wireless connection. It's just as easy as a wired one. And you don't have to deal with "crossover cables".
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 11:13 am
jpowell:

Thanks for your response. I was originally afraid that because of the large distance between the computers I might run into a problem with Wi-Fi, but I was talking to my son last night and he told me that his friend has his unit in the basement (Wi-Fi router) and has no problems with his second floor puter connecting online. But you are right about the expense. I already had Ethernet cards in all puters (about a sawbuck apiece) and just figured it was an easier fix than upgrading to Wi-Fi.

JM
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 12:01 pm
For those reading this who are using Wi-fi, make sure you are implementing MAC address filtering at your wireless router to prevent unauthorized use of your Internet connection. Our field personel simply drive around looking for hot spots where they can get a connection.
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 03:10 pm
cjhsa:

Yes security was also a main concern. My son, when up at RIT, was able to use WI-Fi just about anywhere on the campus, but I have always wondered about this. If it is so easy to access, via RF or whatever, what's to stop the bad guys from mess'n around with my own computer? I thought this more of a hazard than hardwired download viruses alone. But I guess my ignorance is showing.

JM
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 06:36 pm
cjhsa - yep, we've had some problems with others' connection - both ways. Both of my housemates have periodically free-loaded a connection from one or another neighbor. And, I am asked if I want people to share my network from time to time.
0 Replies