Rest in Peace, Georgy Girl

jespah

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 10:24 am
She died on Sunday after a seven-year bout with breast cancer.
See here.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 2,014 • Replies: 21
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 10:55 am
@jespah,
I love that song!
Lynn was too young to go - only 67 years old.
The Redgrave family has endured enormous losses the past couple of years.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 11:21 am
So sorry to hear that. I loved that song as well. Listening to it right now by The Seekers.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 06:22 pm
A picture of Lynn and her sister Vanessa appeared alongside the yahoo announcement of Lynn's death. Those two women presented a model of growing old gracefully as a few of their age peers, like Joan Baez, do as well.

0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 02:29 pm
Georgy Girl

jespah

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 02:43 pm
@talk72000,
Thank you for posting that. I hope they never remake that film. I cannot imagine anyone better than her, and I think the time period has passed.
talk72000

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 02:56 pm
@jespah,
Actually I saw the movie only recently when I bought the DVD. I missed a lot of movies after graduating from University. Thank God for the DVDs for I would only know the names of movies without having seen them.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 03:38 pm
@jespah,
Close to thirty years ago, the Hamburgers took me to see Ms. Redgrave on Broadway, in a performance of Mrs. Warren's Profession, co-starring Ruth Gordon. One of my most exciting theatre memories.

She will be sorely missed by the theatre world. A wonderful actor.
Ragman

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 03:43 pm
@ehBeth,
I loved Ruth Gordon in Rosemary's Baby and Harold and Maude. That must have been a hoot to see Redgrave and Ruth Gordon on B'way.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 03:56 pm
@Ragman,
It was an exciting opportunity. I was able to see Ruth Gordon on stage a couple of other times, but it was the only time I saw Lynn Redgrave on the stage. It was truly wonderful.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 03:57 pm
@ehBeth,
http://www.mccarter.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/lynn-redgrave-ruth-gordon-and-milo-oshea-photo-by-sy-friedman.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 04:12 pm
@jespah,
http://www.redgrave.com/galleries/index.htm
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 04:24 pm
@talk72000,
Thanks for that video, loved it. Reminds me of when I had my hair done in Guadalajara in that same time period. I went right to our hotel room and washed it out, no easy task with all that hair spray..

Now I want to see the movie again.
talk72000

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 05:09 pm
@ossobuco,
I have posted a lot of musicals, popular songs and movie songs here http://able2know.org/topic/138679-1
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 05:14 pm
@ossobuco,
I liked the video too, made me interested in the movie, looked up the synopsis. Good grief!!! Good actors can surpass bad plots but that plot sure makes me grimace. (Multiple abortions = bad person, "happy ending" involves a loveless marriage with a creepy guy who occupied a father figure role until heroine reached maturity, etc., etc.)
talk72000

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 05:23 pm
@sozobe,
James Mason is in it as well as Alan Bates and a beautiful Charlotte Rampling in her twenties. It's more a woman's movie than a young guy's movie but it certainly deals with adult relationships. Young guys would be in action movies like spies, wars, piracy, gun fights and so on. It is a good movie though. I sorta liked it but earlier I would not bother when I was very young.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 08:03 pm
@sozobe,
Thanks for the summary. I did see the movie and I remember not loving it but not much else.
talk72000

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 08:07 pm
@ossobuco,
Charlotte really played a heart breaker and rather calculating. The first time I saw Charlotte Rampling was a middle-aged lady in a movie. She didn't age well.
jespah

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 05:40 am
@talk72000,
I remember the film had an abortion in it, and that it was a big deal that Lynn was so heavy (these days, not so much).
talk72000

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 01:25 pm
@jespah,
Lynn lost the weight later on a few years later and she looked attractive - from the Redgrave genes. In those days it was difficult to be fat as food was not cooked or produced the way it is now with hormones and anti-biotics fed to animals. There were not that many fast food outlets and most people ate home-cooked food and restaurants served smaller portions.

Oh yes, there was the abortion. Certainly not a common issue as the birthcontrol pills were just starting.
0 Replies