Spill baby spill, slippery politics

plainoldme

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 01:11 pm
@Advocate,
I've been saying the same thing. Plus, the right hates the environment. All those dead and dying sea creatures ought to warm their cockles.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 01:13 pm
@hawkeye10,
The idiots who have more than two kids are putting their kids' future in jeopardy. The women who can not bear to line dry their clothes are doing the same. There is more . . .but why state the obvious?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 02:07 pm
Money from BP is only part of the solution.

Quote:
“We seem to be a bit intoxicated by this idea that BP will pay for everything,” said Frank Glaviano, former vice president of Shell Exploration and Production. “Maybe they will, and maybe they won't. Even if they do we're doing so much destruction to the land, the environment and the culture and the jobs and the economy here, that money won't be able to repair all of this.”

This entire thing makes me ill. Physically ill.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 02:17 pm
You've got to be joking me.

Quote:

RALEIGH, N.C. — Republican congressional candidate William "Bill" Randall is suggesting that the Obama administration and BP conspired to intentionally spill oil in the Gulf, resulting in 11 deaths and the worst environmental disaster in the nation's history.

Randall, who has aligned himself with the tea party movement, readily acknowledges that he has no evidence that what he says is true. But that is not stopping him from making the claim as he campaigns in the June 22 GOP runoff to face incumbent Democratic Rep. Brad Miller on the November ballot.

"Now, I'm not necessarily a conspiracy person, but I don't think enough investigation has been done on this," Randall said at a media conference on Tuesday. "Someone needs to be digging into that situation. Personally, and this is purely speculative on my part and not based on any fact, but personally I feel there is a possibility that there was some sort of collusion. I don't know how or why, but in that situation, if you have someone from a company violating a safety process and the government signing off on it, excuse me, maybe they wanted it to leak.

"But then it got beyond what was anticipated, and we had an explosion and loss of life. And, oh man, then we have panic. Is there a cover up going on? I'm not saying there necessarily is. But I think there's enough facts on the table for people that (they) really need to do some investigative research and find out what went on with that and get a subpoena of records and everything else."

Randall made the statements after a reporter asked him if he supported President Obama's six-month moratorium on new deep water drilling for a safety review in wake of the disaster.

Pressed on what possible motivation the federal government and BP would have to purposely spill oil, Randall said he had no idea but reiterated that the issue needed to be the subject of investigation.

Both Randall and his GOP primary opponent, Bernie Reeves, have been outspoken supporters of oil and gas exploration off the North Carolina coast, where drilling has long been banned.

Randall, a U.S. Navy retiree who moved to North Carolina 19 months ago, led in the results of a four-way primary last month, edging out second-place finisher Reeves by just 135 votes.

© Copyright (c) McClatchy-Tribune Information Services

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Feds+spilled+purpose+candidate/3162201/story.html#ixzz0r36pD7JH
JPB

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 02:19 pm
@maporsche,
Like I said --- we deserve whatever government we get.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 02:33 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Quote:

Randall, who has aligned himself with the tea party movement, readily acknowledges that he has no evidence that what he says is true.

Good, he should stop there, because anything else is just stupid.
farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 02:39 pm
@rosborne979,
sounds like all of the "Teabagger" candidates are one beer short of a sixpack.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Below viewing threshold (view)
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 04:10 pm
The administration made an excellent choice in choosing Kenneth Feinberg to oversee the fund BP is agreeing to set up.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 04:14 pm
@realjohnboy,
personally, I'm glad to see the BP set aside a separate fund of 500 million specifically for medical treatment that might arise with workers doing clean-up work on the oil splll and associated chemicals.
spendius

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 04:57 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
The administration made an excellent choice in choosing Kenneth Feinberg to oversee the fund BP is agreeing to set up.

That's reassuring Johnnie. It's always nice to know that when things are out of control an excellent man can be found to manage. I'll sleep easier tonight.
Swimpy

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 05:08 pm
@dyslexia,
It's the law and 500 million will probably not be enough. they have allowed any guy with a boat to participate in this cleanup with little or no personal protective equipment. The liability is huge for the next 30 years.
farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 05:27 pm
@Swimpy,
BP's Chairman today announced that they would set up the escrow account of 20Billion to be overseen by a referee. I think BP is looking at its future bottom line as it sets itself up for a PR turnaround.

Today was a good day to buy BP stock, tomorrow may be good also, if youre into DCA'ing
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 05:36 pm
@farmerman,
BP stock in the U.S. was up 1.4% Wednesday after being up some 4.5% earlier in the day after the establishment of the fund and the dividend suspension was announced.
The stock could come under some pressure as we head towards the end of the quarter on June 30th. Mutual funds may decide to purge BP stock from their portfolios - which are made public at the end of each quarter.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 07:17 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
Predictions by analysts of the overall cost of the spill to BP, when criminal penalties are included, have been rising. On Wednesday, Pavel Molchanov, an analyst at Raymond James, estimated the total legal cost, including criminal fines, at $62.9 billion, which would dwarf the $20 billion escrow account to be used to pay claims of economic loss.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/17/us/17liability.html?hp

somehow that portion of of $20 billion that BP will put into escrow over the coming days looks oh so insignificant....
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 07:22 pm
@spendius,
Feinberg was involved in overseeing the distribution of TARP money. Prior to that he was the guy in charge of the paying out of monies after 9-11.
He is a bean counter and, in my mind, he pulled off both of those gargantuan tasks without ever getting accused of favoritism.
Sleep well, Spendi
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 06:13 am
Gotta love Jon Stewart.....always telling it how it is.

Ass Quest 2010
teenyboone

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 07:47 am
@rosborne979,
It's one of the reasons, I watch whatever the Tea Partiers say, until they
add: "Don't touch my Medicare and my Social Security"! Hypocrites; ALL!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 09:18 am
@maporsche,
More truths from Jon Stewart

energy independent future
0 Replies