FAT32 ERROR

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 01:22 pm
MY BROTHER IN LAW IS GETTING A STARTUP ERROR THAT SAYS SOMETHING ABOUT FAT32.... hE HAS WINDOWS XP.... CAN ANYONE HELP ME HELP HIM
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,009 • Replies: 3
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 01:32 pm
@ASHESFROM420,
FAT32 is a way of formatting a disk drive partition. If he's getting FAT32 errors, then there can be any number of causes ranging from user error, to malicious software, to hardware failure.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 02:20 pm
@ASHESFROM420,
Well the first thing I would do is run a program call spinrite however it is a 79 dollars program so for your brother I would suggest having him try to boot into safe mode and then go to run in the start menus and type the following a chkdsk c: /f and then hit enter.

Off hand I would guess it have a 50/50 chance of taking care of the problem assuming you can boot at all.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 02:44 pm
@ASHESFROM420,
I am not sure but the chkdsk program may be available on the windows install disk so if he can not boot at all he can boot with the install CD and look to see if he could run that program from the CD.
0 Replies