ARIZONA GOVERNOR JAN BREWER SIGNS SB1070!!!!!

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 10:36 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
Hollywood seems to have thrown together a movie starring Arizona!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIxcVzwLR1k
We 've gotta defend our own borders.
The Mexicans have no right to be here.

If there were a war in Arizona,
I don 't believe that it 'd be fought with bladed weapons.
I have a hunch the Americans woud win (again).

David
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 07:37 am
Anti-immigrant fever is sweeping the nation!

Last week, 1,300 names of supposedly illegal immigrants in Utah were mailed to the media, law enforcement, various state agencies and officials, and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The 30-page document included addresses, phone numbers, birthdates, Social Security data, and even medical information for a small number, such as “baby due 4/4/10”—names of children were also included.

The list was sent by the Orwellian named Concerned Citizens of the United States. The cover letter of the list demanded that the people on the list be “deported immediately” with a call to “DO YOUR JOB AND STOP MAKING EXCUSES! WE DEMAND ACTION.”

The document stated that their group "observes these individuals in our neighborhoods, driving on our streets, working in our stores, attending our schools and entering our public welfare buildings."

"We then spend the time and effort needed to gather information along with legal Mexican nationals who infiltrate their social networks and help us obtain the necessary information we need to add them to our list," the letter says.

While, none of the recipients has released the actual list of names, almost all of which are of Latino origin, some people listed have come forward—several of which who spoke to NBC station KSL-TV of Salt Lake City were, in fact, legally in the country—some even citizens. Legal scholars said those responsible could also face lawsuits from anyone misidentified as an illegal immigrant.

Per Emily Chiang, a constitutional scholar at the University of Utah law school such people “could have a claim for defamation because someone has made false statements about them. They’re private people, and the statements, if you can prove that they’re false, you might have a damages claim against whoever sent the letter.”

One person on the list did admit to being here illegally: "We have a reason why we came here to live, to at least have something better," Israel Perez told KSL on Tuesday. "But people trying to kick us out, we like dogs running around and putting us in a cage and sending us back somewhere we don't want." Perez said his parents brought him to the United States when he was 10 years old. Like too many young immigrants he is the not responsible for being here illegally, thus highlighting the generational complexity of the problem.

Instead of answering to the demands of the letter, state and federal authorities have instead denounced the letter and are spending resources trying to determine who likely accessed non-public personal information from a state agency to generate this list. Currently, authorities in Utah believe that at least two employees of the Department of Workforce Services may have been responsible. The two employees have been placed on leave while the investigation continues.

Various groups and people have come out against this action, some expected such as Ernie Gamonal, vice chairman of the Utah Democratic Hispanic Caucus, who stated, “This is a very serious crime. In the United States of America, we don’t make ‘black lists’ anymore. For that reason, I would like to see the Department of Justice look in and determine if they need to take further action.”

And Democratic state Representative Neil Hansen who stated, "Here's somebody accusing people of being illegals and yet they're not willing to put their name on this. It almost seems [like] cowardice."

Less expected, perhaps, was the support of several groups that support cracking down on illegal immigration Additionally many Republicans, who one might have expected to support any action that opposes illegal immigration, also came out against the group:

Despite being in the process of writing a Utah version of the controversial Arizona law to crack down on illegal immigration, Republican state
Representative Stephen still stated, “I think it’s a wrong approach. It sends the wrong message, and it doesn’t follow the rule of law with the bill that I’m writing.”

Both Utah’s Republican Governor and it's Attorney General came out against the law:

Attorney General Mark Shurtleff said, “Urging others to watch and report on others — that’s not how we do things in this country. We need to do it in a way that is not lists, hate-mongering and outright and implied racism.”

Even non-politicians like Paul Mero of the conservative think tank, Sutherland Institute, said, reform is as important an issue as enforcement not to mention an “an authentic conservative position.”

The most unexpected effect may have been the surprise public press conference between Tony Yapias, direct of Proyecto Latino, and Alex Segura, founder of the Utah Minutemen Project, who stood together in front of an American flag at the Utah state capitol where they asked the people of Utah to “cool their rhetoric and debate civilly.”

Regarding the list, Segura said, "Burn it; do whatever you need to do. Just get rid of it. This issue has gone not only to a national level but an international level, and it's going to give Utah a bad name, and we don't want that. We're all citizens of this state, and we all need to work in a compassionate matter to get this taken care of."

Per Desert News, “The pair agreed both sides have been overreacting and are too caustic in remarks. Some Hispanics are too quick to call critics racists or to say that Latinos are being treated like Jews in Nazi Germany. On the flip side, some non-Hispanics are too quick to call all Latinos "illegals" or to post hateful comments online.”

Segura even criticized current Minutemen chairman, Eli Cawley, for praising authors of "the list" by calling them patriots. Unlike most other prominent conservatives in Utah, Cawley has said those who generated the list should be protected by whistle-blower laws because they were revealing illegal activity by disclosing illegal immigrants—he is, at the very least, ignoring the fact that at some people on list have been proven to be here legally. Crawley has denied any involvement in the generation or distribution of the list

Paul Murphy, a spokesman for the state attorney general’s office directly disagrees with Crawley and says that, “These people seem to be concerned about identifying people who are breaking the law [so] they should identify themselves and tell us whether or not THEY broke the law.”

So enough about the what…what about the why? Why has this happened in Utah? Why has Arizona passed its own law allowing their police officers to detain anyone they reasonably suspect of being an immigrant—quick, define reasonably and tell me when, where and how long you’ll be detained until you can prove it.

At some level, these actions are being taken due to the frustration over the federal government’s failure to enact comprehensive immigration reform.

Per Jason L. Riley, a member of the Wall Street Journal Editorial Board, and author of Let Them In (a book extolling the free market conservative case in support of immigration), in 2006, Senators John McCain - R and Ted Kennedy - D teamed up to co-sponsor a bill that would have reformed immigration by increasing border security, by expanding and refining the guest worker program, and by providing a path to citizenship to those who paid taxes, paid a fine, learned English, etc., but despite passing the Senate, the law was killed by Republicans in the House, who during the summer before the 2006 election held a series of town hall-type meetings to denounce the plan as “amnesty” in an attempt to rally the conservative base that was in such disarray.

The GOP spent tens of millions of dollar on television ads portraying the Latino immigrants as “dangerous criminals” and in some cases “compared them to Islamic terrorists.” The strategy bombed of course; as everyone knows, the Democrats trounced the Republicans in the 2006 election, even making Democratic gains in solid Republican congressional districts in Arizona. The Republicans might have fared better had they supported the law since even the Wall Street Journal reported that 75 percent of Republicans found it “not realistic to require undocumented immigrants in the United States to return home to seek legal status,” and 81 percent said it was “unrealistic to seek their deportation”—instead of helping to solve the problem, the Republicans tried to exploit nativist feeling amongst their conservative base to increase their election possibilities.

Since 2006, nothing much has been done at the federal level to reform immigration policy, and reform is desperately needed, but for that to happen the rhetoric needs to be toned down. The reality is that border security has improved; illegal entries are down more than a third since they peaked in 2000. Additional support for regions affected by drug smugglers and gangs certainly deserve and should receive additional support, but the vast majority of immigrants who are here illegally came for a better life, not to commit crimes—in fact, according to the FBI crime in along the border has actually gone down in the last decade.

Despite Arizona Governor Jan Brewers claims that most people coming across the border illegally are smuggling drugs or cutting off heads, the truth is quite the opposite. There is no evidence that the majority of immigrants that enter illegally commit more crimes than the rest of the U.S. population. It wasn’t immigrants looking for work that killed that rancher in Arizona, it was drug smugglers—conflating the two does nothing to solve the problems with immigration or drug related crimes.

An editorial in the Arizona Republic probably said it best when they responded to the governor by writing: "It is irresponsible and reckless for Brewer to suggest that migrants who come here to work are routinely smuggling drugs. It plays into the systematic vilification of illegal immigrants that extreme anti-immigrant groups use to poison and polarize talks about immigration."

We can’t craft effective policy while we have people fear mongering and exaggerating

And despite widespread public support for Arizona’s law, there is ample evidence to support the belief that reform is possible, even desirable for most Americans.

In a bi-partisan poll conducted by Public Opinion Strategies—a Republican Polling Firm, and Lake Research Partners—a Democratic polling firm, it was found that support for comprehensive immigration reform is not only strongly supported by most people in this country, it is actually strongly supported by people who support the Arizona law (according to the poll, significant amounts of support for that law has to do with the frustration that the federal government has failed to fix our broken system, not that they think the Arizona law is the best or even a workable approach).

According to the numbers:

60% of those polled support Arizona’s law, and 45% support it strongly, but only 35% of Latinos support it (It was a positive, non pejorative description of the AZ law).

Without defining comprehensive reform support was 57% with only 18% opposing it.

Latino voters: 60% favor comprehensive reform

42% of the voters strongly support undefined comprehensive reform, only 11% strongly oppose

When it is defined as requiring immigrants to pay taxes, work, learn English, pay a fine, and get to the back of the line (not leave the country) 78% in support it, 61% strongly support it. (Interestingly, learning English was important enough, KNOWING it was less of a concern—apparently nobody polled wanted to take grammar tests.)

Latino voters: 77%, 61% strongly

Re: leaving the country—64% thought that those here illegally should be allowed to stay after registering, receiving background checks, and being put on a path toward citizenship.

Every single political and demographic group strongly supports comprehensive reform and there was strong support across all regions as well.

"In fact, the Republicans don't know that they are supposed to be against this, and so their support is actually the highest of anyone's at 84% compared to 76% for Democrats and 76% of Independents."

56% say they will vote this issue.

76% support taking action now vs. waiting.

Other key points:

When asked if it would be better if illegal immigrants were made legal and made to pay taxes or if it would be better if they were just made to leave: 58% said make them tax payers—increased saliency since it will increase revenues—beat two to one those that wanted them to leave to save jobs.

Most people also think that it is massively unrealistic to deport everyone (concurs with the aforementioned Wall Street Journal poll from 2007).

Those in support of reform said that is was not amnesty because people are required to pay taxes, work, learn English, pay a fine, and get to the back of the line.

Most people felt that if the immigrant pays taxes they should obviously be allowed to be citizens.

Most felt that immigrants were not anti-American.

Most people don't want temporary workers, they either want them here long term or to leave.

It seems to me that the time for true federal leadership couldn’t be better. Reform need not be an issue that divides the nation. The people already support reform, now we just need someone to lead us to it.

I leave you with the words of President Ronald Reagan:

“America is really many Americas. We call ourselves a nation of immigrants, and that truly what we are. We have drawn people from every corner of the Earth. We’re composed of virtually every race and religion, and not in small numbers, but large. We have a statue in New York Harbor that speak of this—a statue of a woman holding a torch of welcome to those who enter our country to become Americans. She has greeted millions upon millions of immigrants to country. She welcomes them still. She represents our open door.

All of the immigrants who came to us brought their own music, literature, customs, and ideas. And the marvelous things, a think which we’re proud, is they did not have to relinquish these things in order to fit in. In fact, what they brought to American became American. And this diversity has more than enriched us; it has literally shaped us.”

P.S.

Immigration is about as complex an issue as one can address so I intend to follow up with at least two or three more articles in the next week or so about immigration. If I didn’t address a concern you have in this article, hopefully I will do so in the next ones I write

P.P.S.

I know many pro-immigration types prefer the term undocumented immigrant or undocumented worker over illegal immigrant since nobody can be illegal (only their actions and you don’t call someone who speeds an illegal driver or an illegal person) and I have tended to agree, but oddly enough the aforementioned poll showed that even supporters of immigration reform thought undocumented sounded worst because it’s not impossible to at least get false documents so if you are undocumented you must really be up to no good. I’m not sure how I feel about that line of reasoning—it doesn’t mean I will go back to using illegal immigrant, but the idea of using undocumented is now problematized for me. As such, I decided to go with “illegal immigrant” in my title since that was language used in “the list.”
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 11:10 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

Anti-immigrant fever is sweeping the nation!

Last week, 1,300 names of supposedly illegal immigrants in Utah were mailed to the media, law enforcement, various state agencies and officials, and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The 30-page document included addresses, phone numbers, birthdates, Social Security data, and even medical information for a small number, such as “baby due 4/4/10”—names of children were also included.
This is WONDERFUL! It makes me proud to be an American.

Get them OUT b4 those babies r born.

David
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 01:53 pm
There are more than 1 million Mexican-Americans now living in Chicago.
How are many are legal?

What do you bet all 1 million vote democrat.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 01:54 pm
David, one of my credit cards and statments is completely in spanish. I'm not hispanic, and I don't know spanish.

So, why do I have a credit card in Spanish and at the same time live in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 01:59 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:
David, one of my credit cards and statments is completely in spanish. I'm not hispanic, and I don't know spanish.

So, why do I have a credit card in Spanish and at the same time live in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts?
Gee, I wish I had a good answer for that !

I 'd never heard of that before.
roger

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 02:20 pm
@Miller,
Call and let us know if you have to press 1 for English.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 08:54 pm
Want to know who legislates for AZ? Watch the Olivia Munn segment:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/thu-july-8-2010-marilynne-robinson
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 09:17 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Quote:

Gee, I wish I had a good answer for that !

The answer is fairly simple. The demoKKKrat party has designated mexicans and slammites as its next kept victim groups.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 09:56 am
There is a simple solution to this 'immigration problem.'

Translate this video into Spanish and circulate it widely in Mexico. The Mexicans will not only stop trying to sneak across the border but will invite Americans to come and save themselves from the likes of these two oligarchs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brazdQANgYs
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 07:06 am
My younger son and I had a discussion about Arizona's very real drug problem. Yes, the crystal meth in AZ is manufactured in professional Mexican labs but immigrants per se are not the problem. Corrupt cops and government officials who receive kickbacks to look the other way or to actually help in the distribution of said drugs are a bigger problem.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 08:06 am

Lay plenty of land mines along the North side of the fence.
See what thay think of that.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 08:05 pm
Speaking of Jan Brewer: According to Salon, she will no longer participate in election debates.

rizona Gov. Jan Brewer will not participate in a second debate with her Democratic opponents. Which is sad, because that first debate was wonderful television. When Brewer was actually able to form sentences, they were full of nonsense.

Brewer's debate performance has been charitably described as "painfully awful." Her opening statement is a thing of beauty:

But things actually got even worse after the debate, when a gaggle of reporters asked Brewer to explain something she refused to respond to in the debate: why she claimed, falsely, that illegal immigrants were beheading people in Arizona, and leaving the bodies in the desert.

It is one of the most inept and artless attempts at dodging a question that we have ever witnessed:

Why so much beheading talk, exactly? Well, as part of her sales pitch for Arizona's oppressive anti-immigration bill, Brewer had to convince people that immigrants were really, really hurting Arizona. And so she began to spin a fantastical tale of Arizona as a war-torn battleground.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUPKKbmWMZ8
Brewer's Arizona, as described in national television appearances with friendly Fox hosts, is an ultraviolent, post-apocalyptic Road Warrior hellscape, with bloody human heads littering the unforgiving desert and drug cartels kidnapping thousands of Phoenix-area children to act as mules. She told Fox News viewers just how bad things had gotten, with "the crime, the drugs, the kidnapping, the extortion, beheadings, and the fact that people can't feel safe in their communities."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1xV7nTSqww
(So ... visit beautiful Arizona! Hold your next event here, while dodging gunfire from the Mexican criminals.)
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 10:37 am
Gee, it is too bad that Jan Brewer refuses to debate other candidates for the office of governor. What a laughing stock she is!
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 08:02 am
@plainoldme,
I have no knowledge of the political polls,
but I imagine that she is probably very popular and will be elected.

I certainly woud vote for her, but I am not a citizen of Arizona.
Its too hot there.

When candidates for political office r far enuf ahead
in the polls, very ofen thay refuse to debate.
The losers yearn to debate, to close the gap.

The goal is not to debate; the goal is to win.

We will see what happens.

David
plainoldme

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 10:21 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Call me when you figure out what political polls have to do with jan brewer's inability to speak and read simple English sentences and the courage to admit her reading level is 3rd grade.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 01:57 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
Call me when you figure out what political polls have to do
with jan brewer's inability to speak and read simple English
sentences and the courage to admit her reading level is 3rd grade.
Eveh if she really suffered from those handicaps of your delusions,
she is still quite a bit more successful in life than u have been,
as u continue your endurance in destitution.

In other words:
she was smart enuf to beat U out, Prof. Plain.

David
roger

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 02:09 am
@OmSigDAVID,
True. When they are behind, they want to debate. When they lose, they want recounts. Ever hear of a winner demanding a recount?
plainoldme

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 08:26 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
she is still quite a bit more successful in life than u have been,

Tsk! Tsk!

How fifth grade! What a pungent and meaningful and intellectually deep comment!

Of course, whatever success she has or she thinks she has, does not count as success in my book.

While there are some things about brewer that, perhaps, she can not help, as the fact that she is 66, just three years older than me, but looks to be in her late 70s or early 80s.

She earned a certificate as a radiology technician from a community college. There is nothing wrong with that. But, I hold two master's degrees, one with honors from an Ivy. Sure, not everyone would have wanted such a degree, but, that makes me more successful in terms of education and intellect than she is.

And she is not debating because she is leading but because she can't: the woman has difficulties forming English sentences. I am skilled at public speaking. Again, it is not a pursuit everyone wants to pursue but she probably could not learn to speak well.

It is not just that she is uneducated and none too bright. It is that she evidences hatred toward education. From Wiki: On July 11, 2010 Jan Brewer announced that 10 million dollars given to her state by the federal government, most of which was intended to go to education, would instead go to enforcing border security.

That action also makes her a cheat, a liar* and a thief. However, the action was only taken two months ago. If there is a citizens' group in AZ worthy of citizenship, the witch will be hauled before the SC.

* But, we already knew she was a liar. Remember her statement about beheaded bodies.

Now, her 11 July 2010 action is only two months old but if there is a citizen or citizens' group in AZ worthy of being called citizens, then she will eventually stand before the SC.

But she is no stranger to legal difficulties. Again, from wiki:

Jan Brewer signed a law repealing legislation put into place by former governor Janet Napolitano, which had granted domestic partners of state employees the ability to be considered as "dependents," similar to the way married spouses are handled. **
According to an editorial in the Arizona Daily Star on October 13, 2009, the Department of Administration in Arizona "stated that about 800 state employees are affected and that the cost to insure domestic partners is about $3 million of the $625 million the state spends on benefits." However, the state was giving those employees another year of coverage, due to legal necessity: "A legal review determined existing contracts with state employees will be honored."
A federal lawsuit, Collins v. Brewer, challenging Brewer's action is being heard in federal court. The plaintiffs, represented by Lambda Legal, a LGBT rights advocacy group, asked for summary judgment based on due process and equal protection claims. On July 23, 2010, U.S. District Judge John W. Sedwick denied the due process claim, but based on the equal protection claim he issued a temporary injunction blocking enforcement of the law pending a trial.
Recently she announced that the state would appeal the decision to give health care to same-sex domestic partners of government workers. A decision that initially cost more then 800 people's health insurance.

** Hmmmm? That is not the SC making law . . . which it never does . . . but, it does appear that unless wiki is missing some info, I doubt that brewer has the power to have performed that act.

So, david, no wonder you have not had success with women! Look at the sort of woman you admire! A ball-busting, lying, thick-headed criminal!
plainoldme

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 08:28 am
@roger,
It is not true that people who are behind want to debate. This woman barely speaks English which is why she is running away. She should be an adult and face the music: which, in her case, is playing out of tune. She's not up to the task.
0 Replies