For the South Park fans..

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 06:18 pm
Just checked my DVR, and here is the description for tonight's South Park:

Quote:
About last night...
While the country celebrates the outcome of the election, the new President-elect arrives at the White House prematurely.

Gotta love South Park for being current. I wonder if this is one of those episode that they finish at the last minute, or if they've had it planned for awhile. I read that some episodes they've only completed hours before it airs. Not even enough time for the FCC to run through it and bleep out curse words. On those nights, the first run was uncensored, but later airings had bleeps in place.

At any rate, I am predicting this will be a great episode. We'll see.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 4,984 • Replies: 22
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 06:21 pm
@Nick Ashley,
Perhaps they made two episodes - just in case of a McCain upset. Then aired the appropriate one.
Nick Ashley

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 06:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
Haha, that would be funny. I'm betting they wrote the episode to work regardless of who wins, staying vague enough. However It wouldn't surprise me if they went back and added in a few quips here and there
0 Replies

Nick Ashley

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 09:16 pm
Screw live-blogging the election.. I do it for South Park Smile

I was wrong, it looks like they tailored the entire episode after they were confident Obama won. So far it looks like the plot itself works regardless of who won, but they've had a ton of things like direct references to both candidates speeches, and people talking alot about Obama winning / Mccain losing.

"It's Obama time come on!" ~ Randy

Ok, commercial break is over...
0 Replies

Nick Ashley

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 09:37 pm
AHAHA, best episode this season in my mind. It really is amazing how quickly they can pump out episodes. Current news from Monday and Tuesday were scattered throughout.

The plot was funny as well, even more so for me because I just recently visited DC, and saw the hope diamond myself. Before that I had never heard of it. AND, I love Randy, and this was a Randy heavy episode (and a drunken Randy at that).
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 10:28 pm
Damn, can't see it online yet. Looking forward to it.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 10:29 pm
@Robert Gentel,
if you find it, might ya post it, sir...

???

(no tv, but a jones)
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 10:31 pm
@Rockhead,
All South Park episodes are available online here:
http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/

But the latest ones usually have a delay before they go online. Looks like the delay is a month for the latest ones.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 10:34 pm
@Robert Gentel,
appreciated.

(no longer pay by MB...)
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:27 pm
@Nick Ashley,
Ha, great episode. But I thought they should have tried to steal a portion of the $700billion bailout package instead of the Hope Diamond.

Actually, the side story of the town's reaction was better than the Ocean's 13 rehash. I cracked up when one of the town's two doctors partied too much while the McCain supporter hung himself in a closet. And then at the end when the McCain supporters realize that not much has really changed and they "may" have over reacted... reminds me a little too much of the Emails my extended family are sending around right about now Smile

0 Replies

Nick Ashley

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 12:30 am
After seeing the full episode, I think this is the fastest they have put current events into an episode. They have done some quick ones before, no doubt. According to wikipedia, they depicted Saddam Hussein being captured 3 days after it happened in real life. However, the episode had alot going on with depicting the life of Canadians, etc. Sadam really didn't play a huge part in the episode, if I remember correctly.

However, this was ONE day. Maybe even less then that (what time did Obama/McCain give their speeches?). The episode also really relied on Obama winning. What with people being afraid of 'Change' and all. I really don't think they could have done the same episode in reverse if McCain had won. It wouldn't have worked.

I find it very impressive that a cartoon offers as much commentary and jokes on yesterdays election as The Daily Show and Colbert Report does.
dlowan

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 01:54 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

All South Park episodes are available online here:
http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/

But the latest ones usually have a delay before they go online. Looks like the delay is a month for the latest ones.

Waaaaah...stamps feet...throws toys....

Edit: WORSE!!!!

We can't even GET them in Australia!!!

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 02:57 am
@Nick Ashley,
I was able to watch it (I think the day it's released it's available then has to wait a month) and it was pretty funny. The overenthusiastic Obama supporters and the irrationally disillusioned McCain supporters reminded me of a2k political discussions.

Clips:

I also liked their take on Palin:

The whole episode's here:

http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/207897/?autoplay=false
Wilso

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 05:39 am
@Robert Gentel,
I don't get any sound on the clips and can't access the video site.

On South Park being current, the show only has like a 3 week turnaround. Don't know about finishing it on the day it airs. I suspect they had this one ready.
shewolfnm

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 05:41 am
@dlowan,
try southparkzone.com
farmerman

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 05:56 am
Being the cynical SOBI am, I can actually half believe the plot line. The clips from the election were so current as to be almost like a news show.
It was ok, not one of the greats , but its schtick was memorable
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 06:28 am
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:

try southparkzone.com

Thanks for that. Can't find the Obama episode, but there's plenty more there that haven't made it down under yet.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 08:03 am
@Robert Gentel,
Nice satire.
0 Replies

Nick Ashley

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 01:09 pm
@Wilso,
It was made last minute according to the Production Blog

Quote:
tonight’s a big night here at South Park. In case you haven’t heard, America will be deciding who will be our next president*. But, more importantly, the staff here at South Park will be up all night working on Wednesday’s show. Which means we, the PA’s, have been given the noble task of giving the staff updates throughout the night on the election.

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 07:53 am
@Nick Ashley,
But as I suspected, they made most of it in advance predicting an Obama win:

Quote:
"We've only ever worked on an Obama version," said Parker and Stone via email, when asked if they prepped two versions in case McCain won. "We followed Vegas odds. If McCain would have won we would have been screwed. It would have been our 'Dewey defeats Truman' moment."

http://www.thrfeed.com/2008/11/obama-south-par.html?%3F
0 Replies