Anniversary of River Phoenix's death

Letty

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 03:52 pm
He was only twenty three. Many people don't take much notice of the death of a movie star. I don't always, but there is something about that young man that haunts me. Perhaps it's because it was at Johnny Depp's Viper Club. Perhaps it's because Crave knew him personally. Perhaps it's because of the beautiful music played in My Own Little Idaho--Deep Night, which is absolutely fabulous. Our friend, a wonderful guitarist plays that song so hauntingly, that I think of him when I hear it. It certainly is not because he was a great actor. He didn't really have a chance to be.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,544 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 04:01 pm
To me, the saddest thing about him is that he grew up in a demented cult and was one of the few kids who achieved success after getting out.

The cult therefore demonized his "worldly" pursuits and was almost smug to report his death in a "see what happens when you leave? It's so sad isn't it?" way.
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 04:06 pm
It was a tragedy, his demise had the same unclean feel about it as with the beautiful Natalie Wood's sad passing. ( Stand by me -seminal)

By the way was he related to Joaquin Phoenix ?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 04:06 pm
Yes, they were brothers.
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 04:10 pm
Thanks I've always wanted to ask that Very Happy
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 04:11 pm
Wow Craven, I never heard the family's reaction to his death. It was common knowledge that his upbringing was somewhat unusual but I thought they were just hippies living on a commune or something. According to a long-ago interview (and I hope I'm remembering correctly) his family lived a very clean and healthy lifestyle so it was sadly ironic that his death would involve drugs.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 04:12 pm
Thanks for posting this Letty...I had no idea Craven grew up with River....I often think of how strange his death was.
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 04:14 pm
That would make Craven 86 then right ?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 04:55 pm
My friends, usually, I try to think of something light to say, I just can't make myself do it tonight. Those we love in real life, those we love in the mind's eye are one and the same. Someone once told me, "Don't turn your back on your friends." but it's only when we can turn our back on our friends without fear, that the world makes sense.

Goodnight and God bless.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 10:22 pm
River was the older brother, right?

I really like Sneakers, which I think was his last film.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 06:41 am
Hey, BlueMonkey. Sneakers was a great film, but it wasn't River Phoenix's last:

http://www.filmsandtv.com/search.asp?ms=2&uq=River%20Phoenix

Stand by Me was an adaptation of Steven King's The Body. That was an excellent movie.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 07:38 am
I always thought he had achieved so well after his childhood and thought myself it was very haunting.
One of my favorite movies is Thing Called Love but, it seemed his character on screen was becomming more of his at that time character off screen with the drug use so, I dont know...might just be best that he was a shooting star and we can remember him at his highest.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 07:50 am
You're right, Quinn. What ghouls the paparazzi. They filmed him as he was dying. I guess I will have to inject a little lightness here. When the news came on about Princess Diana and the paparazzi, I thought the anchor man said "Pavarotti". I couldn't imagine what that tenor was doing chasing the car.
0 Replies