Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 10:21 am
I started a thread in which I posted a clearly labeled editorial by Geoffrey Stone, Edward H. Levi Distinguished Service Professor of Law at the University of Chicago Law School (http://able2know.org/topic/143942-1).

A know-it-all seized the opportunity to denigrate a liberal and immediately took me to task for writing "unsupported" remarks that surely have to be contrary to reality.

Oh, well.

I am certain that someone who holds an endowed chair at prestigious Chicago knows more about law than I do. What is interesting is that the person screaming at me didn't acknowledge his mistake.

Last semester, I told my students about their final several times. I posted it on the class website . . . I wrote it on the classroom white board at least three times . . .I also told them verbally. As my colleagues said there was nothing more that I could have done. One student went to the classroom rather than to the library where the exam was held. He sat for 90 minutes then went home. He did not go to the Registrar's office. As a result, he failed the test, wasting a semester's worth of work and tuition.

The 'critic' who, unlike me, is certain that he knows more about the law than a professor of law, did something that is both less and more serious. In his efforts to "dis" a liberal, he made himself look foolish to the limited number of people who adopt fake names and participate in this forum. On the more serious level, he prevented himself from learning that his point of view may be faulty.

You can lead a horse to water . . .
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,011 • Replies: 21

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 10:39 am
then you must drown him.
dlowan

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 10:43 am
@edgarblythe,
Better to ignore it, no? Or address it on thread.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 11:57 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
I started a thread in which I posted a clearly labeled editorial by Geoffrey Stone, Edward H. Levi Distinguished Service Professor of Law at the University of Chicago Law School (http://able2know.org/topic/143942-1).

A know-it-all seized the opportunity to denigrate a liberal and immediately took me to task for writing "unsupported" remarks that surely have to be contrary to reality.

Oh, well.

I am certain that someone who holds an endowed chair at prestigious Chicago knows more about law than I do. What is interesting is that the person screaming at me didn't acknowledge his mistake.

Last semester, I told my students about their final several times. I posted it on the class website . . . I wrote it on the classroom white board at least three times . . .I also told them verbally. As my colleagues said there was nothing more that I could have done. One student went to the classroom rather than to the library where the exam was held. He sat for 90 minutes then went home. He did not go to the Registrar's office. As a result, he failed the test, wasting a semester's worth of work and tuition.

The 'critic' who, unlike me, is certain that he knows more about the law than a professor of law, did something that is both less and more serious. In his efforts to "dis" a liberal, he made himself look foolish to the limited number of people who adopt fake names and participate in this forum. On the more serious level, he prevented himself from learning that his point of view may be faulty.

You can lead a horse to water . . .
We cannot judge this without knowing what was involved,
rather than just your own summary.

It coud be possible that what he said
was conspicuously without merit.
If the professor was being liberal
then presumably, he was diverging from what was correct,
since liberalism consists of divergence.
plainoldme

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 12:27 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Well,sluggo, he demonstrates something that it obvious to many and that is conservatism is divergence. A member of the American Constitution Society, he works toward maintaining the Constitution as a vital, living document and upholding the values it presents: "individual rights and liberties, genuine equality, access to justice, democracy and the rule of law." Of course, the American right does everything possible to eliminate those values.

Your fellow rightie failed to read . . . something righties often do!
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 02:02 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
Well,sluggo, he demonstrates something that it obvious to many and that is conservatism is divergence.
Joking? U are kidding, right ?
Conservative = orthodox. Do u understand that concept?
The issue at hand is the presence or absence of divergence.

The presence of divergence is liberalism or radicalism.
NON-divergence = orthodox or conservative. Do u understand that?
Being a teacher of English, I 'd imagine that u woud.
Your above assertion that "conservatism is divergence" is oxymoronic.
U are telling us that non-divergence is divergence.

plainoldme wrote:
A member of the American Constitution Society,
he works toward maintaining the Constitution as a vital, living document
First of all, the Constitution has never been a DOCUMENT. It is an INSTRUMENT. Your hero shoud have known that.
Secondly, the Constitution shoud have been written in Latin, a dead language, for stability.
This "living document" nonsense is a charlatan's foundation
for fraudulent deception; i.e., for cheating.
In other words, the so-called "living document" [sic] deception
is the modern equivalent of Dr. Good's Snake Oil, sold from his
travelling show, that 's "good for what ails you" made from water, sugar, alcohol and heroin.

Plain, if a judge is presented with litigation including a constitutional dispute,
if he is competent, he will do as Justice Scalia does and read the litigated text
and apply, with mechanical precision, the idea that existed when those words were chosen
by the Authors of the Constitution, known by the historical context
and by checking dictionaries of the day.

On the other hand,
if such a judge is incompetent, then he might declare
that the Constitution is "living" and just throw the dice
or (figuratively) flip a coin to decide what it has changed to;
it coud be ANYTHING; unpredictable.

Declaring that the Constitution is "living" effectively is claiming
that we have NO Constitution, that it will just be invented anew,
spontaneously whenever a question is raised about it, unpredictably;
it means one thing on Monday and the opposite on Tuesday.

plainoldme wrote:
and upholding the values it presents:
That can 't BE, Plain, because all of this "living" twists and perverts it unpredictably
from one day to the next; that is the OPPOSITE of "upholding" anything.
Maybe its more like the judge and your professor going on an LSD trip.
(I m just estimating, here, since I 've had no contact with LSD.)

David
plainoldme

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 08:47 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
funny, many conservative groups are called radical.

I suggest you read the 10 April 2010 edition of Newsweek which has an interesting and objective article on right wing hate groups.
plainoldme

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 08:48 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I responded to the the first paragraph of your response.

The remainder is drivel.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 09:21 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
funny, many conservative groups are called radical.
Y do keep claiming what OTHER people think or call or say, instead of presenting YOUR OWN ideas ??
Will u ever stop with the oxymorons?

plainoldme wrote:
I suggest you read the 10 April 2010 edition of Newsweek which
has an interesting and objective article on right wing hate groups.
When I care about hate groups, I 'll do that.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 09:26 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
I responded to the the first paragraph of your response.
That was big of u.

plainoldme wrote:
The remainder is drivel.
Yeah, beyond your mental ability of comprehension; I know.

David
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 09:27 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Oh, sugar, you poor deluded little righties with your paranoia and your reliance on the motherload of Madison Ave to fill your empty hearts and brains are always asking for references. I give you references and you ask for my ideas. I give you my ideas and you decry them.

Stop muddying the waters. Other than looking to tote a gun to make up for what is lacking in your intellect and constitution and courage, you have no ideas. Take a nap, David. You are tiresome.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 02:31 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
Oh, sugar, you poor deluded little righties with your paranoia
Thanks for your concern; I 'm not paranoid; no enemies, nor watchers. Actually, I 'm feeling pretty good,
as I watch the collapse and death of gun control, now Arizona, next week Washington D.C. (?)
It reminds me of my watching, in fascination, as communism collapsed and died; jubilant fascination. It keeps me happy.
I just called a friend of mine in Arizona and congratulated him, in joy!

plainoldme wrote:
and your reliance on the motherload of Madison Ave to fill your empty hearts and brains
are always asking for references.
That 's usually how people prove their points, rising above mere allegations.
Anyone can allege anything.

plainoldme wrote:
I give you references and you ask for my ideas.
I 'll try to be more clear: u ofen claim that people believe one thing or another (as if that changed anything).
I sought to point out that instead of vague references, u just come out and advocate whatever u wanna promote,
e.g. victory for America 's enemies in North Korea or for the Moslems, etc.

plainoldme wrote:
I give you my ideas and you decry them.
Well, give them earnest analysis, Plain, maybe like u,
when u grade your students' test papers.

plainoldme wrote:
Stop muddying the waters. Other than looking to tote a gun
to make up for what is lacking in your intellect and constitution and courage, you have no ideas.

Take a nap, David. You are tiresome.
I just woke up a few minutes ago and had some celebratory comfort food,
while savoring the victory for freedom in Arizona, after the Democrat governor was removed.

David
plainoldme

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 08:59 am
@OmSigDAVID,
As a member of a hate group, you probably are on the inside track and have no need to read about your fellow travelers.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 09:00 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Oxymoron? That must be a word you learned from one of my posts.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 09:02 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Your desire for guns is nothing but paranoia. Only a paranoid needs guns.

Who looks under your bed at night . . . you or a staff member from your nursing home?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 09:44 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
As a member of a hate group,
Plain, u seem to be detached from reality; ever hear of psychosis ?

David

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 09:46 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
Oxymoron? That must be a word you learned from one of my posts.
U are very good at complimenting yourself, Plain. I guess if u do it a lot, your skills develop.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 09:57 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
Your desire for guns is nothing but paranoia. Only a paranoid needs guns.
Y do u believe that?? Do u think Kitty Genovese did not need a gun in her final moments of life ?
Do u think that George Washington needed no guns?
Do u think that the Jews in the Warsaw Ghetto did not need their guns?
or maybe u think that thay were paraniod ?

plainoldme wrote:
Who looks under your bed at night . . . you or a staff member from your nursing home?
Again, with the nursing home !?
Not that it is any of your business, but I live in my private real estate.
I have had some of my aging tenants leave to go to live in nursing homes.
Maybe if I got a debilitating stroke, I 'd need that, but what business is that of yours ??

Are nursing homes another of your obsessions?
U keep bringing that up.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 10:11 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
Who looks under your bed at night . . . you or a staff member from your nursing home ?
Now, let 's think about this: . . . Y woud Plain be obsessing sooooooooo much about nursing homes ???

What woud move her to be so concerned about them ?

Let 's see . . . eeny, meeny, miney, Mo . . . .
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 10:17 am
@plainoldme,
Are you suggesting that all of us who are not distinguished professors at a law school, should just appeal to the authority of those that are?

Are you suggesting that distinguished professors at a law school cannot be wrong?

If THIS is what you teach your students, well, then I'm glad you're only a part time teacher.
0 Replies