Video Games and Addiction

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 02:12 pm
Hello! My name is Josh and i've been assigned an inquiry paper in my AP Language course. and basically it would be nice if some of you all can answer some of the following questions so i can use you all as my primary source:

What does the increse in video game addiction reveal about our culture?

How does the particular change in video game addiction relfect a broader change in culture?

Thank you for your time and please use some statistics in your response. Smile

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,265 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 02:27 pm
Did you want me to write it for you too?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 02:31 pm
@emogummybear,
emogummybear wrote:

Hello! My name is Josh and i've been assigned an inquiry paper in my AP Language course. and basically it would be nice if some of you all can answer some of the following questions so i can use you all as my primary source:

What does the increse in video game addiction reveal about our culture?

How does the particular change in video game addiction relfect a broader change in culture?

Thank you for your time and please use some statistics in your response. Smile

I don't think it would be appropriate to use people's opinions on this site as a primary source. At best people here could point you towards other sources, which then could become your primary source.

Start here -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_addiction

There is a huge amount of data there, and if you scroll to the bottom you can follow the links to actual primary sources - with statistics.

Personally, I don't think the 'rise' in video game addiction reveals anything about our society at all. It's a fatuous question.

Cycloptichorn
emogummybear

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 02:39 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
yeah but my teacher will have a man period if i get my "primary source" from wiki, im sure he'd rather hear the opinions from anyone that can answer the question, also if anyone has something good to say about what video game addiciton can bring then feel free to say positive/negative comments on video game addiction ( examples being: video game addiction isolates gamers, or addicts have an increased vision through games that involve hand-eye coordination) and btw cycloptichorn that's why at the end of my first post i asked for some statistics.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 02:41 pm
@emogummybear,
It means that people are bored silly of what is being presented on television and are finding other ways to entertain themselves.

It means people prefer to interact with their entertainment rather than sit in a stupor watching something on television.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 02:42 pm
@emogummybear,
Why don't you look up the statistics, post them and ask us to comment on them? You might get people to throw off some flip comments, but if I were your teacher, I doubt that I would be happier with random thoughts of passers-by than sources from wiki. It might be an interesting discussion th0ugh. Anyone tried Heavy Rain yet?
0 Replies

emogummybear

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 02:43 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
oh by the way i forgot to mention i can only use one website in my essay, most have to be either articles or books *sigh*, so if you got a link to an article or lets say a video game expert/analist then that would be great
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 02:43 pm
@emogummybear,
emogummybear wrote:

yeah but my teacher will have a man period if i get my "primary source" from wiki,

Did you read my post? You don't use Wikipedia as your primary source, you use wikipedia to find primary sources. That's what those links at the bottom are.

Quote:
im sure he'd rather hear the opinions from anyone that can answer the question, also if anyone has something good to say about what video game addiciton can bring then feel free to say positive/negative comments on video game addiction ( examples being: video game addiction isolates gamers, or addicts have an increased vision through games that involve hand-eye coordination) and btw cycloptichorn that's why at the end of my first post i asked for some statistics.

Yeah, that's the whole point: none of us sit around with statistics for video game addiction sitting around in our heads. We would have to go look them up the same as you would. I provided you with a link which will lead to many sources that include statistics. As it's YOUR homework, you ought to go look up the statistics yourself - not ask others to provide them for you on a platter.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

emogummybear

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 02:45 pm
@emogummybear,
okay i will be back with some shocking statistics and i will try to condense it for you guys'.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 02:46 pm
@emogummybear,
This is a topic I started many years ago about girls and video games. The article cites quite a few statistics that might be useful to you and I think you'd find the personal comments made by people over the years of interest.

http://able2know.org/topic/11550-1
0 Replies

emogummybear

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 02:51 pm
@emogummybear,
- Well-practiced action gamers became 58 per cent better at perceiving fine differences in contrast, Daphne Bavelier of the University of Rochester in New York said
-Too much gaming may seem relatively harmless compared with the dangers of a drug overdose, but Bakker says video game addiction can ruin lives. Children who play four to five hours per day have no time for socializing, doing homework, or playing sports, he says. "That takes away from normal social development. You can get a 21-year-old with the emotional intelligence of a 12-year-old. He's never learned to talk to girls. He's never learned to play a sport."
-Software sales jumped 28 percent last year to $9.5 billion; an average of nine games were sold every second of the year, according to the Entertainment Software Association.
-Studies show that 92 percent of children under age 18 play regularly
-According to the Media Research Lab at Iowa State University, about 8.5 percent of 8-to-18-year-old gamers can be considered pathologically addicted, and nearly one quarter of young people"more males than females"admit they've felt addicted
THERES some statistics, sorry if it turned out lengthy Sad

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 03:24 pm
A couple of weeks ago a baby in South Korea did from malnutrition.

Her parents were busy playing a video game which, ironically, required them to raise a virtual daughter.

That should go in your report.
emogummybear

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 03:34 pm
@boomerang,
ok tyvm
emogummybear

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 03:35 pm
@emogummybear,
but yea, next 2 days is gonna be so much fun, 8-12 pages i have to do, fml being a procrasinator.
mm25075

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 09:06 pm
@emogummybear,
World of Warcraft has been linked to a lot stories I have read on gaming addiction.

There might also be some forums you can find that provide support for people with gaming addictions.
0 Replies