You say you want a revolution?

chai2

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 07:55 pm
I bought this new instant oatmeal called "Oat Revolution", and really, it has convinced me to revolt from Quaker Oats.

This stuff is gooooooood.....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 3,538 • Replies: 28
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 07:58 pm
http://www.betteroats.com/images/site/your_oats/oat_revolution_classic.jpg
dyslexia

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 08:02 pm

Take the itch out of a case of chicken pox or a poison ivy rash with a relaxing, warm oatmeal bath. Simply grind 1 cup oatmeal in your blender until it is a fine powder, then pour it into a piece of cheesecloth, the foot section of a clean nylon stocking, or the leg of an old pantyhose. Knot the material, and tie it around the faucet of your bathtub so the bag is suspended under the running water. Fill the tub with lukewarm water and soak in it for 30 minutes. You may find additional relief by applying the oatmeal pouch directly to the rash or pox.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 08:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
I had this one.
The peaches tasted yummy.

http://www.betteroats.com/images/site/big_oats/oat_revolution_peaches_cream.png
chai2

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 08:32 pm
@chai2,
My favorite hot breakfast grain is quinoa (ok, it's a seed)

I think it was cyclo who described his receipe, and although it's not the same, one can tinker with it to suit ones taste.

You must remember to to put the uncooked quinoa in a bowl of water first, and rub it between your hands, to take off the bitter coating (keeps the birds from eating it), then rinse through a fine sieve.

Then, you just cook it for 20 minutes in milk or soy milk, using the same proportions as you do with rice, 1 cup quinoa to 2 cups liquid. I actually add more liquid, as it soaks up the milk pretty good. While it's cooking I add honey, cinnamon, allspice, raisens, or whatever seems good to you. After it's cooked I like to add peanut butter, banana, berries, etc.

It keeps well. You can make a big batch, and it will last for a few days.

It's the type of thing you can eat anytime day or night. Quinoa is unique in that it's got all the amino acids to make it a complete protein.

I think I'll make up a batch in the morning.

http://www.veganfamilyfavorites.com/images/breakfast/quinoa-breakfast-large.jpg

http://www.savvymom.ca/images/uploads/Quinoa__Mixed_Berry_Breakfast_Cereal.jpg

http://weelicious.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/breakfast-grains.jpg
devang

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 04:03 am
@chai2,
I used to have Quaker Oats as breakfast...but its so tasteless...i add some garnishing additives like resin,butter,tutifruity ets still it tastes like ****...can anybody tell me what can i add to make it tasty..??
Setanta

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 04:05 am
Bacon and eggs . . .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 06:10 am
@chai2,
You know, Our sheep eat the same kinda **** each day for their opening meal of the day. Their fleeces are so luxurious. We certainly dont include fruit in their rations.

You are suggesting that this sort of thing is edible for humans too? Interesting.
We use a mineral mixer for a complete ration (3X 50 (lb) bags of no copper salt min mix per half ton of "oatmeal")
Gargamel

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 10:23 am
@devang,
devang wrote:

I used to have Quaker Oats as breakfast...but its so tasteless...i add some garnishing additives like resin,butter,tutifruity ets still it tastes like ****...can anybody tell me what can i add to make it tasty..??

Mix some PB&J in there. It's like the sandwich but with actual whole grain instead of some shitty bread loaded with additives.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 10:26 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

You know, Our sheep eat the same kinda **** each day for their opening meal of the day. Their fleeces are so luxurious. We certainly dont include fruit in their rations.

You are suggesting that this sort of thing is edible for humans too? Interesting.
We use a mineral mixer for a complete ration (3X 50 (lb) bags of no copper salt min mix per half ton of "oatmeal")

I know you're joking around, but I can report that it's not just edible - it's downright great, and addictive.

I was a big-breakfast, eggs and bacon guy for years until I discovered oatmeal and quinoa. Now I save the heavy stuff for weekends.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 10:28 am
@chai2,
Fuckin' A right! I usually use less liquid than that, as I like the whole thing a little drier overall. I like crushed walnuts or slivered almonds as well.

Cheers

Cycloptichorn
chai2

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 04:07 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Gosh, this is just showing how the world can get along and live in peace and harmony.

You like drier quinoa, I like it moister.

But, I don't see us arguing over which is better (although mine is)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 04:27 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I will occasionally eat a twigs and sticks breakfast of a barely soft oatmeal. Its a steel cut oats and quinoa concoction that I will prepare in a bowl (about 1/2 deep of the dry, Then I cp0ver with boiling water and let sit for about 3 min till its all absorbed (I HATE MUSHY HOT CEREALS).

I tried the Revolution oats (maple and brown sugar?) I hadda use 2 bags so it wasnt as good as my AMish oats mix cereql(where I only add about a tsp of maple syrup or molasses. I like a malty yet not to wet cereal. I will then splash some milk on the ceral and it doesnt absorb into the grain. My cereal has a "tooth" which I like
chai2

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 04:29 pm
@farmerman,
Have you tried deep frying it?

Deep fried sticks are good.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 04:31 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I will occasionally eat a twigs and sticks breakfast of a barely soft oatmeal. Its a steel cut oats and quinoa concoction that I will prepare in a bowl (about 1/2 deep of the dry, Then I cp0ver with boiling water and let sit for about 3 min till its all absorbed (I HATE MUSHY HOT CEREALS).

Totally agree! I DONOTWANT mushy, hot cereal. Blech. I think that's why I hated oatmeal as a kid - my mom cooked the **** out of it.

Quote:
I tried the Revolution oats (maple and brown sugar?) I hadda use 2 bags so it wasnt as good as my AMish oats mix cereql(where I only add about a tsp of maple syrup or molasses. I like a malty yet not to wet cereal. I will then splash some milk on the ceral and it doesnt absorb into the grain. My cereal has a "tooth" which I like

Hell, the Quaker steel-cut are fine with me. Some of that, some flax seed, Ceylon cinnamon, and crushed walnuts - and I'm good to go. Healthy as hell too.

Cycloptichorn
chai2

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 04:33 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I once bought a can of those Irish Oats.

I wanted to like it, since it's supposed to be better for you.

It was just too much for me.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 04:38 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:

I've read from a certain Englishman that Scotsmen eat it also.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 05:18 pm
You say you got a real solution
Well, you know
We'd all love to see the plan
You ask me for a contribution
Well, you know
We're doing what we can
But when you want money
for people with minds that hate
All I can tell is brother you have to wait
Don't you know it's gonna be all right
all right, all right
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 05:27 pm
Sunday mornings, the wife and I have bacon and eggs - biscuits, butter, jam or honey.
The other six days, I eat a bowl of cereal with organic milk (2% or whole). But it's no ordinary bowl of cereal. First, I cut up a couple of Brazil nuts in it. Add a tablespoon of currants, small handful of walnuts, grind up a few tablespoons of flax seeds, then whatever is handy, such as a few dry apricot pieces or berries. There is not a lot of room for the cereal, which is Cascadian Farms organic (granola, vanilla crunch, or oat "O"s). At the same time, I take Your Life vitamin tablets, vitamin C with rose hips and papaya enzyme tablets. I love it.
farmerman

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 08:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
DAYUM , that sounds surprisingly good edgar. Just as long as you dont let the milk sit in the cerel too long. THGis must be eaten crsip.
I have a friend whose wife makes him cereal in the morning while hes shaving. She will fill a bowl with cornflakes and then pour on the milk and sugar. My frind comes downstairs about 10 minutes later and eats this ****.
I hadda leave the room