littlek

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 06:59 pm
It's April 5th and their servers are not working.......
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,600 • Replies: 12
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 07:08 pm
@littlek,
I hate to sound like a naggy nag but it's getting late in the tax season and this should be expected.

I use them for the past 8 years but I always did my taxes by January and by the first week of February at the latest.

Hopefully, they'll get their servers up and running as quickly as possible.
littlek

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 07:33 pm
@tsarstepan,
Nag! I started this as soon as I got my W2 forms. I was, however, using the pay-for version then.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 07:36 pm
I am going to have to go to bed soon..... it's not saved yet. Grr.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 07:55 pm
@littlek,
The bad-timing irony is that Turbo Tax is now sponsoring this thread with a banner ad.

You have my condolences and I hope they fix their bloody servers ASAP.
littlek

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 08:28 pm
@tsarstepan,
It was much smoother when I set up an account BEFORE starting to file. The glitch happened (repetedly) when I tried to save AS I was filing.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 08:40 pm
Gah! I just aborted the filing of my taxes after the webpage sat and spun for over 10 minutes. Free advice onsite says to shut it off and try it later. I'll shoot for not just before bedtime.
roger

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 08:46 pm
@littlek,
Is it really so complex you need software? Anyway, I used TurboTax one year. The price included preparation, but had a fee for electronically filing the state returns. May or may not have charge for federal filing. This was the year in which there were special provisions for filers in the Hurricane Katrina disaster zone. It spent all night (literally) updating itself for special Katrina relief items. Couldn't they tell from my location and ZIP that they needn't have bothered.
littlek

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 09:07 pm
@roger,
The software is free. I owe a pretty big chunk (given my income) and wanted to see if they could find any way of lowering what I owe.

I guess now that the library is open again I could file a paper return. (oh wait, I could probably download a form).
roger

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 09:48 pm
@littlek,
At least the government is good at generating PDF forms. Print the instructions while you are at it, though some of them run to a lot of pages. If you are using 1040 EZ, the search should be "1040 ez" and "1040 ez instructions". Just be sure you pick a site that ends in .gov, and then pick the year 2009. They usually have stuff for three or more years.
0 Replies

Philis

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 10:40 pm
@littlek,
Sorry you had problems with TT. I was told how much my state refund would be and 2 days later they emailed me and said I did not finish state taxes. So I clicked the link , answered their Q's and then they said 29.95$ to submit state tax. Now I have to go elsewhere online to submit state tax. Can anyone recommend a good FREE site to submit my state taxes Question
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 06:22 pm
I filed both using turbotax. They do charge you for state taxes. I tried an alternative free stat- tax filing program, but I was going to get refunded way less than I did even after deducting turbotax's fee.

I found the free state tax link by going to the web page of my state revenue service.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 06:30 pm
@littlek,
Here's to a quick and speedy state refund! Smile
0 Replies