Does Anyone Know a Good Horse Shrink?

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 12:41 pm
I am not complaining about my life. I love my life. But sometimes I do wish it were just a little less, um, what is the appropriate word here? Oh, I know! CRAZY! Drunk

Everytime one problem seems to resolve another one pops up. Now, do not think I am not perfectly aware of the fact that I can be the cause of some of these crises because even I could not be in denial that badly to believe "stuff just happens to me". LOL! Sheesh, my horse having that baby mule nearly killed me!

Some of you know about my beautiful thoroughbred gelding whom I have shamelessly bragged about from reading my other thread. I now know what Mac's problem is. It is explained in this link: http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=10156

I think I know why Mac has develped this condition. If you had seen the look on his face when he first laid eyes on JJ (my john mule) you could have seen how terribly traumatized he was. All this time he was thinking he was protecting a baby horse and he had decided he was the daddy and then to come home and find out that Miss Joy had been slumming? It was just too much for Mac to handle I think and something in him just snapped and now he is suffering from a disorder. The shame! What will I tell his racehorse friends?

This would explain why Mac will behave in and around another herd (he is not dominate in that herd) and act like such a jackass at my place. So, if any of you know a really good horse shrink I would really appreciate it if you could pass that info along to me.

By the way, my own personal appointment with the shrink is next Tuesday. Pray I survive that long.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,772 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 03:00 pm
When I posted this I was really trying to joke about the whole thing but to be really honest, it's not funny at all. Joking about it was my way of coping with my disappointment.

When I first got Mac home from the trainer's it was awesome. I'd ride him nearly everyday. We'd go everywhere. He would respond to the slightest touch and was such a joy to ride. I don't have kids. I have my husband and my animals. My animals are like my family to me.

When Mac acted so badly yesterday it brought me to tears. I know, how stupid is that? A 54 year old woman crying because her horse won't behave. It's just that Mac and I had this bond and now it's like that bond is gone. Mac is the horse I have wanted all my life. He was so perfect. I am hoping through my trainer and research and working with Mac we can get through this "separation anxiety" of his and get back to riding like we used to.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 03:11 pm
@Arella Mae,
I'm sympathetic but not smart about horse behavior, Arella.

It strikes me that there may be websites that deal more with this kind of thing. I was briefly, peripherally, around the dressage world for a few years, and those involved in it - not all, but the top people - were very tuned into the horses and what was going on with them (as least as I saw it). Not that a dressage website is the answer but that some website out there may be primarily interested in horse behavior.
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 03:24 pm
@ossobuco,
I am reading everything I can find Osso. Dave, my trainer, assures me that with time and patience we can fix this.

BTW, thank you so much for that article on mules. It was so kind and thoughtful of you and I am learning a whole new appreciation for mules. They are quite the animal!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 04:16 pm
@Arella Mae,
If you pay me $500 an hour, plus room and board, plus two way ticket (business class) then I'll spend some 7 hours a day quoting Carl Jung, throw in some Rorschach tests, and read the novels of Dick Francis to your horses.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 04:35 pm
@tsarstepan,
You brat...

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 04:44 pm
@ossobuco,
I'll cut it down to $20 an hour.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 07:49 pm
@tsarstepan,
LOL! If that would work, I'd do it! You girls are a hoot! But ya made me laugh and I appreciate that.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 08:02 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
When I posted this I was really trying to joke about the whole thing but to be really honest, it's not funny at all. Joking about it was my way of coping with my disappointment.

When I first got Mac home from the trainer's it was awesome. I'd ride him nearly everyday. We'd go everywhere. He would respond to the slightest touch and was such a joy to ride. I don't have kids. I have my husband and my animals. My animals are like my family to me.

When Mac acted so badly yesterday it brought me to tears. I know, how stupid is that? A 54 year old woman crying because her horse won't behave. It's just that Mac and I had this bond and now it's like that bond is gone. Mac is the horse I have wanted all my life. He was so perfect. I am hoping through my trainer and research and working with Mac we can get through this "separation anxiety" of his and get back to riding like we used to.

Maybe a conciliation session between him and JJ ?
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 08:17 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I was really hoping riding Mac in the pasture would have been good enough for him and while we were in there he wasn't too bad. I am going to see what Dave can do with Mac Wednesday night. He is coming over to see how Mac acts and will tell me what I need to do. I just miss riding Mac!
Pemerson

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 12:03 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

I was really hoping riding Mac in the pasture would have been good enough for him and while we were in there he wasn't too bad. I am going to see what Dave can do with Mac Wednesday night. He is coming over to see how Mac acts and will tell me what I need to do. I just miss riding Mac!

No, riding Mac in the pasture will not be enough for him. If he wants to ride more, and for some reason you can't, lunge him before getting on. Still, horses like to ride, ride, run, run. Go for long trail rides (lunge first if you must). Keep on taking lessons, as it doesn't take long before a horse knows just how much you know and how much you don't know. They bore easily. I used to post on a horse fancier's forum but can't recall the name of it - it is quoted often on the RFD (horse) Channel, however. Riders learning from each other and experts.

I rode horses, kept them at times, for 23 years beginning at age 45. They are happiest riding in groups, but I used to ride mine alone (a lot). My Candy Bar (black gorgeous mare) was happiest the two seasons I rode fox hunts. God, what fun - people, horses and dogs. The first time we went out was to "rode the dogs" (teaching the dogs how to act). I was scared half to death and was sure I would be dead under some hooves. She told me, in so many ways, though, that "I used to do this, dummy." Her only owner prior me used her for pulling a carriage cx. country, but I found out she also went fox hunting (we dragged a scent).

Well, goodness, sorry Arella Mae, but I had an obscession with horses for a very long time and I will miss it forever. I read horse books & magazines for 10 years. learned more about riding from all those natural horsemen on TV. than "instructors."

As someone once said, "God forbid there should be any heaven without horses!"
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 02:36 pm

Maybe in a year or 2, Joy will give JJ a half brother ?

David
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 05:19 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I don't think I'm going to breed Joy anymore. She's almost seven and I know that is still young but I am going to at least wait for a few years before considering it. Indy is going to be bred in March so JJ can have a "cousin." LOL
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 07:57 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
I don't think I'm going to breed Joy anymore. She's almost seven and I know that is still young but I am going to at least wait for a few years before considering it. Indy is going to be bred in March so JJ can have a "cousin." LOL
Has JJ met Indy? Give us pictures of Indy?
Has she given birth yet ?

David
Arella Mae

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 08:13 am
@OmSigDAVID,
JJ has not met Indy yet nor has Mac. Mac has met Hank but JJ hasn't. Indy is a huge horse. She is 16.1 hands and has a few hundred pounds on Mac. She has grown quite a bit since these two pictures were taken. She is one massive muscle horse! Indy is a purebred Tobiano Paint and has their temperment. I don't know how she is going to meld with the mix. She stays at Todd's right down the road and Todd rides her, which is something I can't do. She may be fine for ten rides and then buck you off the next. Todd can deal with that but I can't. But, if I get a foal from her I can train it to be a sweetie. I wish I had the picture of her when she was five months old on this computer. What a precious thing! I'll look for it because I have an actual photograph somewhere. I'll scan it in and post it when I find it.

Here are two pics of her. I have a new computer so all my good pics of her are on my old computer. I got these off Dave's website. He used to have a pic of Hank on there but it's gone. We are going to see them this weekend so I'll get more pics.

Indy is seven now and she has never had a baby. We are gonna change that!

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/2575/indylearningtobackup.jpg

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/5617/indya.jpg
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 08:23 am
Her coloring is BEAUTIFUL!!!
Will u breed for a large size foal ?

David
Arella Mae

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 11:48 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Yeah, she is a beauty! I am looking at a Tobiano Stud that is 16 hands. I'm waiting to hear back from the owner. I'll see if I can find his pic and post it. I love the big horses! Don't know why because I am pretty short. I am only 5'1".

This is Doc. He is my trainer's horse and he is the sweetest most gentle animal. Isn't he massive and beautiful? That is Anna, Dave's girlfriend. She is from England and such a sweet lady.

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/4302/docandanna.jpg

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/8039/bigdoc.jpg

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 12:04 pm
@Arella Mae,
Maybe use a stallion who is BIGGER than Indy,
if u love the BIG horses ?

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 12:06 pm
@Arella Mae,
Is Doc bigger than Indy ?
Arella Mae

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 12:31 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I would say Doc has a good 200 pounds on Indy and he's probably about 16.3 hands. I think he weighs around 1700 pounds. Actually Indy could be bred with a smaller horse, like 15 hands, if I wanted a smaller horse. It's not that easy finding a Tobino Stallion that is at least 16 hands and somewhere near Louisiana. I would rather breed her naturally but if I have to go frozen we will.