Does Anyone Know a Good Horse Shrink?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 12:42 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
I would say Doc has a good 200 pounds on Indy and he's probably about 16.3 hands. I think he weighs around 1700 pounds. Actually Indy could be bred with a smaller horse, like 15 hands, if I wanted a smaller horse. It's not that easy finding a Tobino Stallion that is at least 16 hands and somewhere near Louisiana. I would rather breed her naturally but if I have to go frozen we will.
Great! Get a BIG Boy! I have a hunch that 's what Indy 'd prefer.

David
Arella Mae

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 11:38 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Even if she woudn't prefer a big boy I will have to get one anyway. He's going to have to be big enough to handle Indy. Mares don't just stand there all submissive when they mate. Female donkeys do and I read that is why there are so few stallion horse daddies/donkey moms. The stallions are just not interested in a wet rag so to speak.

In my searching for the perfect horse for Indy I did come across the most beautiful stallion. I need to check into this type of horse and how well it would meld with a Tobiano.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/3805/apollou.jpg

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/4905/apollo1.jpg
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 11:49 am
@Arella Mae,
Yeah, I see your point; regards to JJ!

David
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 08:12 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
LOL Geesh! I am so ignorant of so many facts! I went to the website of the people that own Apollo. First, you have to take your mare there and she has to pass all these tests. It seems they only breed Frescians so my Tobiano is out. Can't blame them though.

Learned something though. Frescians are from Holland. At the end of WWI there were only three in the world. They were nearly extinct. But thanks to Frescian lovers they are plentiful once again.

I love learning new stuff!

Oh! JJ touched his muzzle to my nose today. I wish Johnny had been home to get a picture. He'll do it again I'm sure!
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 10:08 pm
@Arella Mae,
JJ has good taste !

David
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 10:23 pm
@Arella Mae,
I am lost here, Arella Mae, and I am going to be blunt, because, as far as I can see, you may be heading for some real problems.

As far as I can tell, you already have two horses you cannot handle, the mare and your gelding.

You are 5' 1", cannot manage a 16.1 hand mare, and are wanting to (I presume) to pay a lot of money to breed her to an even BIGGER horse, to get a BIGGER foal, which, although you already cannot handle two of the horses you have, you believe you are going to be able to raise to be better behaved and manageable than its mother?

While being able to control a horse is generally more skill and psychology than strength, at this point it appears you may be significantly over-horsed for your level of ability, or strength.

I am 5' 6' and could manage my 16.2 boy generally...but when I got on animals better suited for my size, it was like a dream...and as for managing smaller horses on the ground for stuff they didn't like, like drenching, handling any horse but mine was a dream!

However, there were a couple of horses my friends had that I knew I couldn't manage because they needed more skill and confidence than I possessed....even though they were smaller.

Thus, I was over-horsed on these very "hot" animals.

I don't know what the gelding is doing that upsets you, but whatever it is, it seems it is too much for you to cope with, at present. You can't manage the mare's bucking occasionally.

I am wondering how much training you have had in riding and horse management? Do you need to have some more lessons? Do you have opportunities to ride horses that you CAN manage so that you build up confidence and skill?

There certainly are horses out there that almost nobody can manage, but generally speaking, it isn't the horse that needs a shrink, it is the rider who needs help....unless you have a horse that simply IS going to use all its strength, and you just don't have it.

If you can't manage two horses you have, the best thing I can think of is to get help from someone who really knows what they are doing while you are riding them, to see if you can manage them when you have more skill and confidence.

Another thing, you speak of your horses as your kids. That may be all very well and good, but your horses must have no doubt at all that you are the boss...I am wondering if you have allowed them to think of you as equals?

If you doubt this, they feel it instantly. You can see this whenever somebody nervous handles a horse...the horse is resistant or outright "naughty"...as soon as someone confident gets on, they act as though butter won't melt in their mouths.

You know that training a young horse is a very skilled and delicate job? Unless you are VERY skilled, I hope you aren't thinking of breaking in and training any foal that you get?

Sorry to be so blunt, and I may be completely wrong, but horses can break both your heart and your body if you don't know what you are doing. (And your body even when you do...it really is a dangerous occupation, you know.)

Best of luck to you.
Arella Mae

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 09:02 am
@dlowan,
I take no offense at anything you are saying dlowan.

First, I am not going to breed Indy until next year, if I make the commitment to actually breed her. In the meantime, I will be taking lessons.

I will never ride Indy, the horse I want to breed. If she has a foal it's going to be a good three years before I could ever send it for training. I would never consider training or breaking a horse myself. That is what my trainer is for.

I sent Mac back to the trainer's so that he could be where I was taking lessons and I could do my lessons on him. I, in no way, believe myself to be some great horseperson.

My biggest problem in riding is I do not act immediately when Mac does something wrong. My trainer is very patient and he is working to help me with this. The last two lessons I have had with Mac went quite well and I will continue to take lessons from now until who knows how long. I won't be bringing Mac home until I know that I can handle him.

Breeding Indy is something I want to do but I have not made the 100% commitment to it. I still have to get Little Miss Joy to the trainer. She has been ridden before but it was at least a year ago and she'll need refresher training.

Then there is JJ. JJ is going to have to have a mule trainer from what I understand. But he needs to be almost three years old before that happens.

The next horse to go to the trainer's is Hank, my husband's horse. When Mac comes home, Hank goes to the trainer. Once Hank is finished and JJ is weaned, Miss Joy will be going.

It's going to take years for all of these animals to be able to be ridden. I am going to take my time and do it right. I will be taking lessons all that time and learning everything I can about them.

If I do finally decide to really breed Indy, it's going to be to a breed of horse that will hopefully ccompensate for her being highstrung. I guess breeding Indy is more of a dream right now than a real decision.

I don't disagree with a single thing you said and I do appreciate your honesty. I don't want people telling me what I want to hear. I know with horses you can get hurt badly and even killed. That is one of the things I like about my trainer. He tells me the truth.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 09:44 pm
Oh Mae your horses are so beautiful. My idea of sheer happiness would to have a large enough spread with an ocean or bay view also where I could have horses and lots of dogs. Oh course I would have to hit the lottery but I ususally forget to buy the damn tickets. I guess I will have to settle for my Vizslas.
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 09:53 pm
@glitterbag,
Thank you glitterbag. My dream is to ride Big Mac bareback on the beach but I'm afraid I'll not get to do that. The beach is a long way away. Lately it seems we are collecting stray dogs. They keep showing up here. I told all the animals to stop telling their friends to come here because I'll feed them. What is a Vizslas?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2017 10:21 am
@Arella Mae,
LITERAL HORSE SHRINKAGE!
0 Replies