on the [install/uninstall] list?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 734 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Montana

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 06:50 am
Would you recognize the program if you saw it? If so, click on you're start button, then settings, then control panel, then double click on add/delete programs. If you see the program in there you can just get rid of it.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 06:51 am
Oh, and welcome to A2K :-)
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 07:31 am
Yeah but the question was how to remove something that's not on that list.

Check out this article & see if the program you're trying to remove is listed in the .inf file mentioned: Uninstall Hidden WinXP Programs

You should also check out the program's main folder & start menu folder for anything that looks like an uninstaller.

Sometimes you'll simply be out of luck though, and yeah almost no programs can be properly/fully removed just by deleting their folders. Thus the beauty in programs like GoBack or System Restore which let you roll your computer back to a point in the past. Also, Symantec has a decent program (I think it's Norton CleanSweep that I'm thinking of) that'll track all program installations & create its own uninstaller for them, so that later if the "official" uninstaller doesn't work or can't be found you can use Norton's uninstaller for it.
0 Replies

Challie

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 07:54 am
Thanks
I shall try it all
Challie
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 08:41 pm
The program should have it's own uninstall program that appears in the folder for it in the Programs section of the Start button. Click the uninstall and it'll vanish into a puff of random binary digits.

There is another way.
It can be dangerous though.

Firstly, delete the program folder and it's sub-folders etc...
Then go into the registry using RegEdit and run a search for the name of the program. Delete all references to the program.
If you're not sure about a reference then leave it alone.

Messing with the registry can be extremely hazardous in that if you mess it up you can completely screw your Windows installation and end up having to reinstall it.
If you are at all unsure about editing the registry, don't do it.
0 Replies

Challie

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 04:58 am
Heliotrope wrote:
The program should have it's own uninstall program that appears in the folder for it in the Programs section of the Start button. Click the uninstall and it'll vanish into a puff of random binary digits.

There is another way.
It can be dangerous though.

Firstly, delete the program folder and it's sub-folders etc...
Then go into the registry using RegEdit and run a search for the name of the program. Delete all references to the program.
If you're not sure about a reference then leave it alone.

Messing with the registry can be extremely hazardous in that if you mess it up you can completely screw your Windows installation and end up having to reinstall it.
If you are at all unsure about editing the registry, don't do it.
Thanks I Wont
Challie
0 Replies