The "Monday Flu"...... again.

boomerang

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 04:59 pm
@Eva,
Thanks, Eva.

It's so hard to tell with Mo -- whether he's sick or not. For ages and ages he would never say he felt sick. He could be vomiting and running a fever and insist he was "fine". Maybe that's why I tend to believe him when he says he doesn't feel good.

I sent an email to his teacher today. I noticed that I last wrote to her on March 31, reporting that Mo had come home crying and hating the world, and asking if anything had happened that day. I reminded her of that note and went on to tell her that things have really gotten worse in relation to school.

I got back an earful -- Mo is not handling school well, and hasn't for the last several weeks. I had no idea. Nobody at the school has said a word. She suggested that we have a meeting so you know I'll be doing that!

I know the whole ADD thing is going to be rehashed. I guess they think I have an extra $1,500 sitting around to get an evaluation done every other year.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 06:03 pm
I'll be curious to hear what they have to say at that meeting, too!

At this point, summer is almost here, so Mo (and you!) will get a temporary reprieve. Sounds like you've earned it!
boomerang

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 06:13 pm
@Eva,
I'm pretty sure I know exactly what they'll say.

Some days just suck the life right out of you.....
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 06:35 pm
You know boomer, you should look into the Waldorf School again.
Yes, it's pricey but they have tuition assistance and in Mo's case the state might
help here too.

Public schools don't have the manpower or financial resources to help kids
like Mo. They just fall in between the cracks and that's that.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 07:14 pm
Much as I hatehatehate paying the tuition, I've gotta admit...

Kids do get a LOT more personal attention at private schools. And that's a very good thing whether they have issues or not.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 10:59 am
We all met this morning and overall I think it went pretty good.

Mo is feeling better about things. I hope we got the "everyone hates me" idea dislodged from his head.

The teacher pretty much admitted that the school doesn't have the resources to help him, and that things are not likely to improve over the next few years of budget cuts.

She's going to try to set me up with a contact of hers who might be able to help us figure out how to get the district to refer Mo to a private school.

Here's hoping!
Linkat

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 11:27 am
@boomerang,
That's great to see the school/teacher supporting and trying to help you all out - hopefully this will work out!
boomerang

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 11:59 am
@Linkat,
His teacher really is wonderful.

She's retiring after next year and I think she's reached the f*** it stage about pissing off the district at the expense of the kids.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 03:39 pm
Sounds like you've found an advocate for Mo within the system. Good for you!

How does this "referring to a private school" thing work?
boomerang

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 03:52 pm
@Eva,
That's the big question -- nobody seems to know, and I mean nobody!

I've been having this back and forth today with the school I want to send Mo to:

Me: I know I'm not supposed to apply if I want the district to pay for your school (they have to be referred by the district) but if I want his teacher to fill out the teacher part of the application then I need to start the application process. But if I do that then I can't work on getting the district to pay. So what now?

Them: Good question..... ummmm.... I'm not sure..... You should know that the district doesn't really refer kids here, or anywhere. They want kids to stay in public school.

Me: Okay. So why do you have that note on the application form?

Them: Because you can't apply if you want the district to refer you here.

Me: So how about I give the teacher the application, have her fill it out and send it to you, and you file it away for future reference. I won't fill out the family part of the application, and I won't send you the fee to review it. Then I won't really be applying, right?

Them: Right! Okay! Let's do that! (Note: they would love a district referral because it would open the door for other referrals. This is a school that specializes in special education.)

-----------

So we might have found a loophole in the catch 22!

Apparently, the only way anyone gets the district to pay is to enroll their kid (in any private school, after the public school has failed the kid) and then sue the district for restitution.

I've at least bought myself a few months to keep working on things.

0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 04:02 pm
Ah. So the THEORY is that if the district admits it does not have the resources to deal with a child appropriately, then the district will refer the child to a private school that does have such resources and pay the child's tuition.

Nice theory.

There are many such children here, too, but I've never heard of our public school system paying private school tuition in any case. They are laying off teachers, increasing class sizes, and eliminating more non-core classes every year. There's no possible way they could afford it.
boomerang

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 04:34 pm
@Eva,
I bet you'd really be surprised at how many kids are in private schools at the district's expense -- there are a lot. Just not in the private schools like most people think of when they think private schools.

The law says that every child is entitled to a free and appropriate education. If the school can't deliver it they are obligated to pay for private schooling. It is usually cheaper for the school to pay for private education than hire enough people to offer the support services that some kids need.

Actually, all I want is the amount equivilent to what they would spend on Mo in public school -- about $9,000 a year. I'll make up the difference.
0 Replies

dancerdoll

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 12:14 am
@boomerang,
i have a feeling it has something to do with the kids that are mean cuz he doesnt elieve in God
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 01:14 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
What does he do on the days he's home "sick"?

Is he allowed to get out of bed? allowed to leave his room?

Most of my friends with kids go the "you're sick, you'll need to stay in bed with a book" route.
I think its very dangerous to read a book if u have a fever.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 04:46 am
@dancerdoll,
dancerdoll wrote:

i have a feeling it has something to do with the kids that are mean cuz he doesnt elieve in God

Out of the mouths of babes....
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 07:10 am
@dancerdoll,
How "Christian" of them.
dancerdoll

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 02:22 am
@boomerang,
yes i know some kids can be horrible ... did the kids make him not want to believe in God?
0 Replies