WHAT SAY YOU FARMERMAN?

Sglass

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 06:23 pm

MISSING LINK FOUND?

AOL News (April 4) -- The missing link between humans and their ape-like predecessors could be filled in this week with the unveiling of a 2 million-year-old skeleton believed to be that of a new species of evolutionary primate, according to the London Telegraph.

The almost-complete fossilized child's skeleton, discovered in a limestone cave in South Africa by Professor Lee Berger of the country's University of the Witwatersrand, is believed to provide new clues about the evolutionary gap between the ape-like Australopithecus afarensis, which emerged almost 4 million years ago, and Homo habilis, the first species of advanced humans, which emerged about 2 million years ago.

Denis Farrell, AP
Scientists found a nearly-complete fossilized skeleton that may be a missing link in the evolution of humans in a cave in South Africa's Sterkfontein region. Here, tourists explore a cave in the area last year.
The new species is believed to be a hominid, a group of evolutionary primates including humans, that existed during the intermediary phase when apelike species evolved into humans.

South African President Jacob Zuma has visited the university to view the fossils ahead of Thursday's much-anticipated unveiling.

Some scientists are hailing the discovery as a significant revelation. Professor Phillip Tobias, an eminent human anatomist, colleague of Professor Berger and one of three experts to first identify Homo habilis in 1964, called the finding "wonderful" and "exciting."

Experts said the discovery of a nearly-complete skeleton was noteworthy as the fossil record of early human species has largely been built through the study of small, disjointed bones. Skull fragments and jaw, finger, hand and wrist bones have thus far provided the best clues about the early human species like Homo habilis.

"To find a skeleton as opposed to a couple of teeth or an arm bone is a rarity," Tobias told the Telegraph, adding that "it is one thing to find a lower jaw with a couple of teeth, but it is another thing to find the jaw joined onto the skull, and those in turn uniting further down with the spinal column, pelvis and the limb bones."

The skeleton is believed to have been preserved by the limestone contained in the Malapa cave where it was found in the Sterkfontein region of South Africa, considered part of the "Cradle of Humanity."

The fossil could provide new clues about the transition between the human species and its extinct, apelike ancestors. The pelvis and limb bones of the new skeleton could shed light on how apelike hominids began to stand upright. The hand bones could provide evidence about when modern humans began to use stone tools.

"A find like this could really increase our understanding of our early ancestors at a time when they first started to become recognizable as human," Dr. Simon Underdown, an expert on human evolution at Oxford Brookes University, told the Telegraph.

The unveiling of the fossilized skeleton Thursday will reportedly set off a media campaign and inspire a television documentary.

The finding is said to be the most important of its kind since an almost-complete fossil of a 3.3 million year old Australopithecus, nicknamed Little Foot, was found in Sterkfontein in 1994.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,149 • Replies: 6
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 06:45 pm
@Sglass,
contrary to what you may believe, I do not keep up with all reports on tuff like this. I can barely keep up with the literature on titanium and rare earths (My day job). I hope they found the little guy some time ago and were not suffering from "preemptive discovery reporting".
I always thought that the TAung Baby was a pre handy man fossil.

Well, I hope that you cab =n follow this up sounds like the numbers of human ancestor fossils no longer can be kept in a small box(An old Creationist jibe). Alst count there were almost a thousand various specimens of individuals.
Sglass

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 08:19 pm
@farmerman,
Then who are the a2k evolutionists?
farmerman

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 08:24 pm
@Sglass,
Theyll show up when you post an article about hominid fossils. Ill be able to give you a more knowing opinion after Ive read the article. My big concern in all "fossil finds" is that stuff ois rushed to popular publication which later must be retracted. Happens all the time.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 08:33 pm
I love this: "To find a skeleton as opposed to a couple of teeth or an arm bone is a rarity. (snip) It is one thing to find a lower jaw with a couple of teeth, but it is another thing to find the jaw joined onto the skull, and those in turn uniting further down with the spinal column, pelvis and the limb bones."
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 08:38 pm
I'm looking forward to more news of this discovery. To me, one of the biggest news flashes at the end of the 20th C was the discovery of a Bronze Age (?) human in the Italian Alps.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 08:39 pm
I am following along also. It is interesting, whatever the outcome.
0 Replies