How much is a usefull amount of electricity?

dadpad

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 06:20 pm

Quote:
What a smart grid is

The function of an Electrical grid is not a single entity but an aggregate of multiple networks and multiple power generation companies with multiple operators employing varying levels of communication and coordination, most of which is manually controlled. Smart grids increase the connectivity, automation and coordination between these suppliers, consumers and networks that perform either long distance transmission or local distribution tasks.

* Transmission networks move electricity in bulk over medium to long distances, are actively managed, and generally operate from 345kV to 800kV over AC and DC lines.
* Local networks traditionally moved power in one direction, "distributing" the bulk power to consumers and businesses via lines operating at 132kV and lower.

This paradigm is changing as businesses and homes begin generating more wind and solar electricity, enabling them to sell surplus energy back to their utilities. Modernization is necessary for energy consumption efficiency, real time management of power flows and to provide the bi-directional metering needed to compensate local producers of power. Although transmission networks are already controlled in real time, many in the US and European countries are antiquated[14] by world standards, and unable to handle modern challenges such as those posed by the intermittent nature of alternative electricity generation, or continental scale bulk energy transmission.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_grid

I still dont have any real idea of what a usefull amount of electricity is in terms of selling back to the grid.
Come to think of it i dont really understand the difference between volts amps and watts. (Lets not digress i can look that up myself)

If i generate 2.5 watts of power from a mini generator could i send that directly into the grid or would i need to store several days worth of 2.5 watts generations in a batterys then sell a battery worth of electricity?

JTT

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 01:58 pm
@dadpad,
Could I ask you, Dadpad, what your yearly heating/cooling load is? Maybe to get a handle on what it's like where you are, ... do you know the heating degree days and the cooling degree days? Sum'in tells me that the latter is quite a bit bigger than the former?
engineer

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 03:05 pm
@dadpad,
I have another suggestion - power a UPS. A lot of people use UPS devices to protect their PC's, but it should be ideal for capturing small quantities of self generated power. When you want to ride your bike, plug the UPS into your bike alternator and plug appliances (computer, radio, TV) into the UPS. If you supply extra energy, it goes into the battery and if you under supply, the battery makes up for the shortfall. After your ride, plug it back into the socket. If you charged up the battery, then less wall current will be needed to top it off.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 01:02 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Could I ask you, Dadpad, what your yearly heating/cooling load is?

No idea. how is this measured?
JTT wrote:

Maybe to get a handle on what it's like where you are, ... do you know the heating degree days and the cooling degree days?

I do not understand what is meant by heating degree days and cooling degree days.
4 or 5 days with the air con over summer, some years less so.
JTT wrote:

Sum'in tells me that the latter is quite a bit bigger than the former?

I think you'd be wrong. Although that has a lot to do with the very old drafty house i live in.
JTT

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 08:08 am
@dadpad,
Do you know what your Annual Average Outside Air Temperature is? It roughly equates to ground water temps.

I'm sure your utility could tell you the heating/cooling degree days for your area.

Quote:
I do not understand what is meant by heating degree days and cooling degree days.

Quote:

Heating Degree Day

Heating degree day (HDD) are quantitative indices designed to reflect the demand for energy needed to heat a home or business. These indices are derived from daily temperature observations, and the heating requirements for a given structure at a specific location are considered to be directly proportional to the number of HDD at that location. A similar index, cooling degree day' (CDD), reflects the amount of energy used to cool a home or business.

HDD are defined relative to a base temperature - the outside temperature above which a building needs no heating. The most appropriate base temperature for any particular building depends on the temperature that the building is heated to, and the nature of the building (including the heat-generating occupants and equipment within it).

For calculations relating to any particular building, HDD should be selected with the most appropriate base temperature for that building. However, for historical reasons HDD are often made available with base temperatures of 18°C (65°F), or 15.5°C (60°F) - base temperatures that are approximately appropriate for a good proportion of buildings.

continued at,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heating_degree_day

Quote:
jtt: Sum'in tells me that the latter is quite a bit bigger than the former?

Quote:
DP: I think you'd be wrong. Although that has a lot to do with the very old drafty house i live in.

I guess here, on my part, another of those silly assumptions we make about countries from an overall image. Can I ask your latitude, winter normal high-low temps, summer high low temps?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 04:35 am
These are rough guesses
winter lows regularily 0 celsius high 10 -15
winter extreem low minus 6 c (3 or 4 times each winter)
snow in my backyard once every 20 years snow within 20 km radius several times each year

summer high reguarily 30-35 c, low 10 - 15 c
summer extreems 40-41 c

I would use the heater many many more days each year than the air con.
Air con might be used for 10 days each summer.
I'm kinda lucky as my home has 14 ft ceilings which means it takes longer to heat up during a summers day.
I live within 50 km of my states highest mountain so this is considered a cooler area.
You cant really get much further south than here in Australia without going to Tasmania. Ok thats a bit of an exageration but yeah definitly southern Australia
0 Replies