The world's biggest solar-powered boat‎ launched in Germany

Frankwall

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 08:21 am
So it travelled unrefuelled for 19 months? Really amazing, everybody talks about aviation pollution but nobody speaks about dirty cargoships and tankers which are heavy polluters. Its a step in the right direction, looking forward to seeing more ships like this.
farmerman

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 09:10 am
@Frankwall,
Im not sure itd work for a hundred thousand ton tanker though
Frankwall

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 02:36 am
@farmerman,
I would have thought the same farmerman - I guess this would only work on smaller boats/ships. I did read an interesting article where they were experimenting with 'solar sails' for tankers so there is some potential.

http://inhabitat.com/eco-marine-power-developing-solar-sails-to-power-ships/
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 03:05 am
The main problem with these things is speed. Ordinary sail-power, with an engine assist for harbors and to ride out storms, would work just fine. However, people are not willing to wait for their deliveries, or to accept a delivery date which is a span of a few days as opposed to a specific date. I suspect solar power will face the same obstacle.
0 Replies

Marie Colvin

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 06:16 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Hello friends,

Thanks for sharing your information, Now 508 days into its 18-month world circumnavigation challenge, PlanetSolar, the world's largest solar-powered boat, is continuing to make strides.

Best regards
Marie Colvin
0 Replies