Mad Hatter

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2017 02:36 pm
Lt to Ed, Victorville Ca Daily Press

—Mad Hatter—Phrase of the Week:

"California utility launches hybrid power systems" April 18 is meaningless to your Average Boob (me). Apparently it consists of a turbine and a battery; all right, but a turbine, according to our handy dictionary, is a gas engine driving a pump. Of course the battery must be needed at night, but what does the pump do?

An old hat (but mad?) at 86, I write this in spite of a lifetime in the electronics realm but still have to guess at much of the media coverage. I can only suppose the pump must somehow drive a generator. Okay but still you need gas to drive the engine; so why the fanfare?

So In my vast ignorance I'd charge the batteries during the day from a simple solar array, no gas needed. And with the simplest adaptation motor and generator could be designed as a single unit, occupying less space and cutting maintenance requirements. Or fellas, didn't you know that?

The "experts" of course will put forth all sorts of counter-arguments; but guys, you hafta explain yourself better to the media so we don't suppose you're just a Buncha Clods like us.

Dale Hileman
Apple Valley
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 795 • Replies: 13
No top replies

centrox

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2017 03:37 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
a turbine, according to our handy dictionary, is a gas engine driving a pump.

Get a better dictionary. A turbine is a machine in which the kinetic energy of a moving fluid, such as water, steam, or gas, is converted to rotary motion. The gas turbines in the story drive electric generators (alternators). No pumps. The London Underground (subway) has been using a gas turbine standby power plant for 50 years. What's new is the idea of using batteries and running up the turbines to cope with peaks of demand.

dalehileman

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2017 04:40 pm
@centrox,
Thanks Cen; I guess at 86 one hasta read a bit more carefully,
a gas turbine

https://www.google.com/?client=safari&channel=mac_bm#channel=mac_bm&q=define+gas+turbine

being apparently a gasoline engine using multi-bladed fans instead of pistons in cylinders

I can only guess that it's coupled to an ordinary generator, with rectifiers etc to charge the battery

Unless there's such a thing as a battery-and-gas turbine

Doubtless you'll elucidate, for which I shall be grateful
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2017 05:10 pm
@centrox,
So Cen I rewrote the second paragraph, eg,

An old hat (but mad?) at 86, I write this in spite of a lifetime in the electronics realm but still have to guess at much of the media coverage. At first I could only only suppose the pump must somehow drive a generator. But shortly thereafter I was advised on Chat Room a2k that a gas turbine was a gasoline engine using multi-bladed fans, something like a jet engine; which I then supposed must drive a generator using a shaft protruding, eg, from its rear end; to which I couldn't see any immediate advantage. Okay but still you need gas to drive the engine; so why the fanfare?
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2017 05:28 pm
@centrox,
So here, Cen, latest rewrite:

"California utility launches hybrid power systems" April 18 is meaningless to your Average Boob (me). Apparently it consists of a turbine and a battery; all right, but a turbine, according to our handy dictionary, is a gas engine driving a pump. Of course the battery must be needed at night, but what does the pump do?

An old hat (but mad?) at 86, I write this in spite of a lifetime in the electronics realm but still have to guess at much of the media coverage. At first I could only only suppose the pump must somehow drive a generator. But shortly thereafter I was advised on Chat Room a2k that a gas turbine was a gasoline engine using multi-bladed fans, something like a jet engine; which I then supposed must drive a generator using a shaft protruding, eg, from its rear end; to which I couldn't see any immediate advantage. Okay but still you need gas to drive the engine; so why the fanfare?

So In my vast ignorance I'd charge the batteries during the day from a simple solar array, no gas needed. And with the simplest adaptation motor and generator could be designed as a single unit, occupying less space and cutting maintenance requirements. Or fellas, didn't you know that?

The "experts" of course will put forth all sorts of counter-arguments; but guys, you hafta explain yourself better to the media so we don't suppose you're just a Buncha Clods like us. After rereading the Press story again, however (for the seventh time), I noted the gadgetry described as '…a hybrid battery and gas turbine…' Woah, I suddenly concluded, maybe they mean ' ...a hybrid battery-and-gas turbine…' which ain't the same thing. How critical the use of hyphen in the compound modifier !

By next month maybe I'll have it all worked out; but in the meantime, my good Press Ed.'s, why doncha run it again, but with elaboration to the satisfaction of us old guys.

Dale Hileman
Apple Valley

Steve & Todd: If you really thoroughly understand, more than I do, then maybe my letter is still fulla crap and so I'll understand if you don't use it
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2017 08:25 pm
California utility launches first hybrid power systems

Just read the article and quit bothering the newspaper people.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2017 09:01 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
quit bothering the newspaper people
Apparently they like to get bothered
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2017 01:34 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
quit bothering the newspaper people

Quote:
Okay Mac, I did in fact read it over (seven times), deciding my Letter wasn't clear either. So I rewrote it again. We shall see if it gets published now....

"California utility launches hybrid power systems" April 18 is meaningless to your Average Boob (me), the gadgetry described as "…a hybrid battery and gas turbine…" Apparently it consists of a turbine and a battery; all right, but a "gas turbine," according to Google, is a gasoline engine using multi-bladed fans, something like a jet engine. Of course the battery must be needed at night, but what does the turbine do?

An old hat (but mad?) at 86, I write this in spite of a lifetime in the electronics realm but still have to guess at much of the media coverage. At first I could only suppose the turbine must somehow drive a generator using a shaft protruding, eg, from its rear end; to which I couldn't see any immediate advantage. Okay but still you need gas; so why the fanfare?

So In my vast ignorance as an erstwhile inventor I'd instead charge the batteries during the day from a simple solar array, no gas needed. And with the simplest adaptation motor and generator could be designed as a single unit, occupying less space and cutting maintenance requirements. Or fellas, didn't you know that?

The "experts" of course will explain the entire system, in elaborate detail showing why it's the best way; but guys, you hafta explain yourself better to the media so we don't suppose you're just a Buncha Clods like me. Woah, I suddenly concluded, maybe they mean "...a hybrid battery-and-gas turbine…," which ain't the same thing. How critical the use of hyphen in the compound modifier !

But in the meantime, my good Press Ed.'s, why doncha run it again, but with elaboration to the satisfaction of us dimwits and old guys.

Dale Hileman
Apple Valley

Press Ed.'s Steve & Todd: Like I said, I'll understand if you don't use it
centrox

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2017 12:38 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
a "gas turbine," according to Google, is a gasoline engine using multi-bladed fans, something like a jet engine. Of course the battery must be needed at night, but what does the turbine do?

Not "gasoline". Gas. You know what a gas is? Fast moving gas produced when a fuel is burned such as oil, kerosene, butane, propane, natural gas, and (yes) gasoline. Something like a jet engine? Exactly like a jet engine, the same engines as you find in a jet airliner, made by GE, Rolls-Royce, etc, slightly adapted for ground use. The shaft drives an alternator, via gearing. They have been used in locomotives, ships, power plants, pumping stations, and even cars.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2017 12:47 pm
@centrox,
Thanks again, Cen. Yes I do have a vague idea about the gas turbine but tend to the facetious, alas
centrox

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2017 11:45 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Thanks again, Cen. Yes I do have a vague idea about the gas turbine but tend to the facetious, alas

You seem to take a gleeful delight in wasting people's time.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2017 01:44 pm
@centrox,
Quote:
...you...delight in wasting people's time
But Cen, I keep tellin' you fellas over and over again, in OP's as well as many other postings, you just don't hafta read my postings. I won't be at all offended. You can tell it's me by that name there over to the left, dalehileman; cause my name's Dale Hileman

Still Cen we love ya, and again thanks for your intense and continued interest in my contributions

Anyone else wishing to beat me up, I am dalehileman@ me.com
centrox

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2017 02:34 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
I keep tellin' you fellas over and over again...

But you write nonsensical letters to that newspaper; they waste time opening the envelopes and reading them before they go in the trash.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2017 04:44 pm
@centrox,
Quote:
But you write nonsensical letters to that newspaper; they waste time opening the envelopes and reading them before they go in the trash.
Very pertinent, Cen, that you should so advise. Actually, until a couple of years ago, they were very fussy about which ones they published, maybe 200 out of 1000 I had submittted. Since then, though, and another hundred or so more, they hadn't rejected but one or two

That is one or two letters, not one or two hundred

So they can't be entirely nonsensical
0 Replies