The CERN atomsmasher and black holes

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 10:40 am
There is a lot of discussion about wether or not the new particle accelerator at CERN can create a black hole that can swallow the entire planet. That the collisions of the particles at near the speed of light, with several thousand times the mass they have at rest, can break apart into other particles that can create black holes.

My question is if it's even theoretically possible that such a thing can happen. I am guessing it's not, since they are already colliding atoms.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 1,856 • Replies: 15
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 11:28 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:
My question is if it's even theoretically possible that such a thing can happen. I am guessing it's not, since they are already colliding atoms.

I think it's theoretically possible that it could create sub-microscopic black holes which would spontaneously evaporate (almost instantly). I think that's what I heard. But I don't know if I'm remembering it right (or in detail).

But none of the scientists seriously thinks that any durable black holes will be created which are of any danger to the Earth. But I suppose they don't know for certain, any more than the guys who detonated the first atomic bomb were certain that the first explosion wouldn't start a chain reaction which would incinerate the entire planet.
Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 11:42 am
@rosborne979,
Yes, that's what I heard also. The best thinking is that incredibly tiny black holes could, indeed, be created but their duration would be so short as to pose no danger to any matter nearby.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 11:50 am
it is currently smashing at 1/2 the speed intended....maybe the bad stufff does not happen till later...
dyslexia

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 11:54 am
what's the negative side of black holes?
parados

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 12:09 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

what's the negative side of black holes?

It's an alternate dimension from the positive side.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 12:17 pm
@hawkeye10,
Yes, well it's supposed to have a scheduled stop in 2012, and after that it will double the energy of the colliding particles. Was it tetraelektronvolts? Up from 7 to 14.
So if they do end up wiping out the world in 2012 we atleast have to give it to them for timing, 2012 being the propesized end of the world and all... Wink
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 07:09 pm
It is common for year one physics students to be given the problem of working out the mass required to make a black hole the size of a basketball...it would require the energy of the sun. Thanks to Hawkings (the wheel chair guy with the retro robot voice) we know black holes very slowly radiate energy relative to their size. To be stable and not turn into a very big bang requires a great deal of initial mass. The size that might (read very unlikely) be created in the particle blender at Cern would be small by atomic standards and would exist for the smallest amount of time. Even our sun collpasing in on itself would not have the mass to create a stable black hole.
contrex

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 01:59 am
@Ionus,
It's Hawking (there is no 's' at the end of his name. Why does every so called 'expert' get this elementary thing wrong?
Ionus

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 02:13 am
@contrex,
If you want to be my spell checker you are going to have to stand at the end of a very long line. It is interesting you think someone cant know what they are talking about if they type hurriedly. Obviously one has to type slowly because you can only read slowly. Perhaps you would be so kind as to pint out where I said I was an "expert" ?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 06:26 am
http://public.web.cern.ch/public/en/LHc/Safety-en.html

This site also has a link to the LHC Safety Assesment Group's report on the risks of the experiments.
rosborne979

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 07:39 am
@Cyracuz,

Oh my god, those people are wearing hard-hats. They must know something's about to explode. We're doomed.
Cyracuz

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 08:04 am
@rosborne979,
Well, I got a hard hat, so I guess I'm safe as long as someone lets me know when to put it on.
Ionus

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 08:46 am
@Cyracuz,
Quote:
I got a hard hat
I'm wearing mine over my groin.
Cyracuz

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 09:58 am
@Ionus,
I think that's called thinking ahead...
0 Replies

g day

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 03:00 am

Higher energy cosmic rays hit the Earth every day than the LHC can produce. Black holes, or minature black holes could theoretically be down to the Planck level of size and mass. But very small black holes evapourate quickly - and may be strongly effected by very small (hidden) dimensions in space time theoretically.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_black_hole

Not sure what the real minimum size for a black hole that can last beyond a pico second is - guess its around the 10 ^ 35 kg level - but its still a major guess. If you could compress the Earth somehow to the size of a golfball you'd have a black hole.
0 Replies