FIVE formulations of categorical imperative (Immanuel Kant)??

itzjenn

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 10:36 am
Ok, it seems that everywhere I look, there are only three or four formulations of Kant's Categorical Imperative, but according to my teacher, there are five. Does anyone here know what the five formulations of the Categorical Imperative are?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 4,984 • Replies: 4
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 12:17 pm
@itzjenn,
I don't have my library at hand, but if you look at The Foundation [Grundlegung] for a Metaphysics of Morals I think you should be able to find all of them.
itzjenn

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 01:33 pm
@joefromchicago,
Thanks for the link, though actually my teacher gave the exact link and I could only find three in there. I don't know why he's saying there's five formulations when everywhere I look there only seems to be three.
Someone gave me this link also, but some of them seem to be the exact same thing: http://www.phil.cam.ac.uk/u_grads/Tripos/Ethics/course_material/2_formul_cat_imp_05.pdf
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 01:51 pm
@itzjenn,
I think those are correct.

Yes, they all say pretty much the same thing, but then Kant acknowledged that they were all formulations of the same principle.
itzjenn

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 02:05 pm
@joefromchicago,
Ok, I'll just go with those. He also asks for the three most important concepts of those formulations. I'm guessing it's self-interest, inclination, and duty, though I'm not entirely sure?
0 Replies