16
   

Odd Cultural Traditions and Quirks of Society: Photo Gallery

 
 
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 02:34 pm
Make this thread the depot for odd and quirky traditions from yours or other parts of the world.

Supply a photograph or image or work of art then a brief explanation on the historical context and/or description of the tradition.

The impetus for this thread:
http://www.spiegel.de/images/image-72487-panoV9free-gwvs.jpg
Quote:
On Easter Monday, it is an old Hungarian custom for boys to throw water at girls. The exact origins of "Wet Monday" remain unknown, but it is thought to either have to do with traditional Christian baptism or with the cleansing power of a quick shower, at the beginning of spring. In modern Hungary, the buckets of water have been replaced by small bottles of perfume or a quick spray of some perfumed water. And the wetter and more perfumed a girl is, the more popular she apparently becomes. In the 21st century, modern Hungarians hide in apartment stairwells to try and dowse one another and girls chase after boys as well. In the historical village of Holloko, northeast of Budapest, however, celebrations started early this year.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,685916,00.html#ref=nlint
 
hawkeye10
 
  0  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 02:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
interesting. In America throwing so much a glass of water at a girl is considered assault. People can be arrested for that.
0 Replies
 
Merry Andrew
 
  2  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 02:47 pm
@tsarstepan,
Sounds like this tradition might be a case of "sympathetic magic", given the time of year. I.e., being prodigal with precious water insures adequate rainfall and is insurance against a drought. That's what the "rain dances" performed by aboriginal tribes are all about.
0 Replies
 
sozobe
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 02:49 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yoo-hoo! Dagmaaraaaka!!! It's time to share the quaint traditions of your home country again!

(And it's a humdinger.)
hamburgboy
 
  2  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 02:59 pm
@sozobe,
the world's largest easter-egg in vegreville , alberta , canada .

 http://extraordinaryintelligence.com/files/2009/04/canada-largest-easter-egg.jpg

Quote:
EggFacts

· Egg Width: 25.7 feet
· Egg Height: 18.3 feet
· Total Height: 31.6 feet
· Material: Alumuinum skin
· Turns like a weathervane
· Weight: 5,000 pounds
· Star Patterns: 524
· Triangular Pieces: 2,206
· Visible Facets: 3,512
· Nuts and Bolts: 6,978
· Internal Struts: 177
· Man Hours: 12,000


The World's Largest Easter Egg

Vegreville, Canada is the site of the largest Easter egg in the world. The Easter egg or Ukrainian 'Pysanka,' was constructed in 1975 to commemorate early Ukrainian settlements in an area east of Edmonton.

The unique nature and complicated geometry of the egg shape made the design of the Pysanka a highly complex undertaking. Professor Ronald Resch, a computer scientist at the University of Utah, agreed to take on the design project.
saab
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 03:07 pm
Because Midsummer - please do not confuse with solstice - was thought to be one of the times of the year when magic was strongest, it was considered a good night to perform rituals to look into the future. Traditionally, young unmarried girls pick bouquets of seven or nine different flowers and put them under their pillow in the hope of dreaming about their future spouse.

Then of course you don´t dream about any young man or you dream about the most unattractiv boy you know. Who knows - he might turn out to be a charmer as years go by.
0 Replies
 
msolga
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 03:08 pm
@hamburgboy,
I know that egg! Very Happy


Well, a much smaller version of it ....
0 Replies
 
Mame
 
  3  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 03:21 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

http://www.spiegel.de/images/image-72487-panoV9free-gwvs.jpg
Quote:
On Easter Monday, it is an old Hungarian custom for boys to throw water at girls. The exact origins of "Wet Monday" remain unknown, but it is thought to either have to do with traditional Christian baptism or with the cleansing power of a quick shower, at the beginning of spring. In modern Hungary, the buckets of water have been replaced by small bottles of perfume or a quick spray of some perfumed water. And the wetter and more perfumed a girl is, the more popular she apparently becomes. In the 21st century, modern Hungarians hide in apartment stairwells to try and dowse one another and girls chase after boys as well. In the historical village of Holloko, northeast of Budapest, however, celebrations started early this year.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,685916,00.html#ref=nlint


Pretty sure that's a variation on the old wet t-shirt contest.
0 Replies
 
tsarstepan
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 03:24 pm
@hamburgboy,
hamburgboy wrote:

the world's largest easter-egg in vegreville , alberta , canada .
Quote:
EggFacts

· Egg Width: 25.7 feet
· Egg Height: 18.3 feet
· Total Height: 31.6 feet
· Material: Alumuinum skin
· Turns like a weathervane
· Weight: 5,000 pounds
· Star Patterns: 524
· Triangular Pieces: 2,206
· Visible Facets: 3,512
· Nuts and Bolts: 6,978
· Internal Struts: 177
· Man Hours: 12,000


The World's Largest Easter Egg

If you're implying this egg is part of the traditional yearly easter egg hunt, I'll say it's not very easy to hide or overlook.
msolga
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 03:28 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
If you're implying this egg is part of the traditional yearly easter egg hunt, I'll say it's not very easy to hide or overlook.


Yeah, they didn't think this through too well at all, did they?
tsarstepan
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 03:37 pm
@msolga,
And it better be filled with chocolate and not egg. I can imagine after awhile an egg filled structure that size would start to stink up the entire town let alone the start killing the vegetation in a 5 block radius.
msolga
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 03:39 pm
@tsarstepan,
Good point, tsar!

A huge mistake, if ever I saw one.
msolga
 
  4  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 03:45 pm
@msolga,
... speaking of huge mistakes, here's one from my own country. In Queensland.
You certainly can't miss it, though! Very Happy

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2005/06/16/bigpine16_wideweb__430x280.jpg

(I hope this is OK, tsar? It's hardly art photography, or a "cultural tradition", but I felt everyone should see it! Smile )
ossobuco
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 03:45 pm
@sozobe,
My first thought was, where's Dag?
0 Replies
 
tsarstepan
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 04:20 pm
@msolga,
One would think that if they were going to build a pineapple structure that they'd make it look like it's ripe for the picking rather then too green and too early to have taken it from the tree.

Either way. It's a cute work of public art.
hamburgboy
 
  2  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 07:24 pm
@tsarstepan,
once more : THE PYSANKA

 http://stephenbrown.ca/images/egg.jpg
dlowan
 
  2  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 08:56 pm
@hamburgboy,
Ha! We have Huge Crustaceans.

The Big Crayfish:
http://images.travelpod.com/users/wesandjo/1.1262539211.big-lobster-crayfish-thingo.jpg
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/3398016.jpg

0 Replies
 
dadpad
 
  3  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 08:59 pm
and The Big Dork
http://images.google.com.au/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2010/01/21/1225822/309343-john-howard.jpg&usg=AFQjCNH9OnsX0ppdv4Jxu10qNpprHiXZWQ
Rockhead
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 09:33 pm
@msolga,
ohh my gawd, msO...

you live near SpongeBob...???

too cool.
tsarstepan
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 09:40 pm
@Rockhead,
I think Spongebob lost his home to foreclosure. Now it's some kind of marketing gimmick.
0 Replies
 
 

 
  1. Forums
  2. » Odd Cultural Traditions and Quirks of Society: Photo Gallery
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/16/2019 at 04:56:43