Boooo To The University Of Ottawa

gungasnake

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 10:11 am
@OmSigDAVID,

Quote:
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
I am proud to be an American, a place where David Duke and his clan are still (for now at least) allowed to speak
Quote:
by Jeff Davis

The sooner White people in Canada and Europe
realize this and overturn these laws, the sooner,
they will have free speech.

http://www.whitecivilrights.com/?p=3370

It makes no sense to capitalize "White people".
There is no reason to capitalize a color.

That is correct; leftwing laws and usages have the same effects on every sort of people regardless of race and ethnicity.

Two examples stick out amongst things which I have seen.

Coming from the mid Atlantic region around DC and Baltimore I naturally assume that certain redneck-style conversations which I overhear refer to blacks. Nonetheless you only need travel a few hundred miles from DC to find yourself in regions where that assumption breaks down. Once in the vacinity of Northfield/Montpelier Vt. I overheard such a conversation at a small grocery store, which went sort of like

Quote:
...buncha lazy, shiftless,good-for-nothing father-raping, mother-stabbing, coked-out, dirty cock-sucking-mother-*******..... .. think they're gonna just skate by in life voting for demoKKKrats and never doing anything else, dirty, filthy...

or something very close to that, and I interjected something like

Quote:
yeah, I'm from the D.C. area, we have more than our share of those...

The guy replied:

Quote:
Yeah, but around DC they're probably all black

I only had to think about that one for a half second or so; you have to assume a lot of people would have been bowled over.

Another thing just as funny used to be featured on D.C. area radio programs prior to the internet age so that there's no record of it other than human memory. There was a Mrs. Williams who was the city's ultimate welfare mother, 18 or 19 kids and trying to have more. This woman and her family were a walking disaster. Marion Barry couldn't stand her; you used to get these confrontations between the two on the radio and if you didn't know what you were listening to, you'd have thought you were listening to David Duke, and it used to bowl people over to hear they were listening to Barry.

ehBeth

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 10:42 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Everyone is in agreement that the security situation was poor, that it would have been dangerous for the event to continue

that's getting more than a bit of a snicker up here

Quote:
With her over-the-top grandstanding no longer garnering headlines, she cancels a Tuesday night appearance at a Canadian university, claiming her life and freedom of speech are both under threat.

Her website laughably describes the minor scuffle and protest at the University of Ottawa as a “riot” " it was her own security team which pulled the plug on Coulter’s speech, fearing for her safety, supposedly.

Yeah, right.

She’d appeared Monday at the University of Western Ontario, to little fanfare and mild controversy, after telling one Muslim student she could “take a camel”, instead of flying on airlines.

It’s lame stuff, and the low-key reaction showed how tired her right-wing, crazier-than-thou act is getting.

Apparently Coulter and her Canadian host, well-known local loudmouth Ezra Levant, knew it too.

Hence, they pretend 200-or-so kids making a mild racket of protest are a dangerous, life-threatening riot, and they cancel the Ottawa gig in a sly bid to garner some badly-needed press.

Voila " instant international media attention, and Levant smirking on CNN as Coulter’s cross-Canada tour turns from tedious to triumph.

Well played, Ann and Ezra.

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2010/03/24/13353191.html

(toronto sun - one of the right wing rags up here)

ehBeth

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 10:45 am
@ehBeth,
give it a couple of days

she'll be off everyone's radar again

toast
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 11:59 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:

that's getting more than a bit of a snicker up here

I hope you don't mean to imply that the perception that Coulter was grandstanding is the universal view of Canadians.
Quote:
Even if Ann Coulter is a villain, she isn’t the villain of this piece

By Dan Gardner, The Ottawa Citizen

The crowd was packed as tight as a Tokyo subway car. “Shut it down!” people bellowed. “Shut it down!” I raised my tape recorder to one of the young protesters and asked why she wanted to stop her fellow University of Ottawa students and hundreds of others from hearing Ann Coulter speak.

“Students know the difference between discourse and discrimination,” she began.

“Students know the difference between free speech and hate speech. We know the difference between conservatism and concerted attacks on individuals and on minorities.”

She glowed with righteous intensity, delivering her words with a clarity and force that would delight the coach of a debate team. “Students are here to say that we don’t want hate speech on our campus.”

OK, I said. So what’s the difference between free speech and hate speech? Where do you draw the line?

She hesitated. But then the righteousness flared back up and the words rushed out. “Most students I’ve talked to have said we don’t want her on campus and students are here tonight to say that we want a campus free of hate speech.”

Top marks for rhetoric, I thought. But a fail on substance. I thanked her for her time and she went back to shouting loudly.

An hour earlier, in the considerably different environment of the Rideau Club, I spoke with the object of the protesters’ loathing.

In one obvious way, Ann Coulter could not be more different than the protester I would speak to later than evening. She laughs constantly. For any reason. She laughs at her own jokes, which she cracks compulsively and incessantly. And she laughs uproariously at almost anything anyone else offers. One of my own modestly wry observations appeared to have caused her appendix to burst. It’s hard not to like the woman.

But then there is the small matter of what Coulter says and writes. In books, columns, interviews, and speeches, essentially anyone who disagrees with Ann Coulter is a liberal and liberals are “traitors or fools.” That’s just the opener. It all goes downhill from there. It is, in fact, quite easy to dislike a woman who wrote, in reference to Arabs who celebrated the 9/11 attacks, that the United States should “invade their countries, kill their leaders, and convert them to Christianity.”

The obvious question is whether Coulter is, like Stephen Colbert, a comedian putting us on. Or at least playing it up.

The question makes her grin. She gets it all the time. “No,” she says. “No, no, no. This is me. People who’ve known me since I was a little kid always laugh at this question and say she’s exactly the same now as she was not only in law school but back at summer camp when I was a little girl.”

And, yes, Coulter actually does believe everything she says. But it has to be taken in context, she insists.

“Look, some things are jokes. Manifestly. Only if you’ve been through a medical procedure to have irony removed at birth do you not understand when they are jokes.”

The people accusing her of hate speech all had irony-ectomies, she says. “I’ve been publicly speaking, going on TV, writing columns, giving interviews for more than a decade now. They cull those to rip every joke out of the lush analytical context I’ve presented it in. (Then they) read it back in earnest and angry tones.”

She rolls her eyes. “Perhaps I will explain the concept of ‘joke’ tonight. Which is insane. I’m in Canada. We get all of our comedians from Canada.”

So she’s a provocateur. And a cut-up. A certain rhetorical licence comes with the job.

One would think the U of O protesters understand rhetorical licence. It was they, after all, who started chanting “Coulter on fire!” after a fire alarm was pulled. Of course I don’t think they were actually calling for Coulter to be burnt at the stake, or celebrating her possible immolation. It was just a little fun, a little outrageous nonsense. But if I were an unsmiling zealot determined to think the worst, I suppose I might come to a different conclusion. I might even think the protesters were guilty of hate speech.

Now, for the benefit of the student I quoted above, and the many others who seem to be believe that hate speech is speech you hate, I should mention that nothing Coulter has said or written comes close to the sort of thing that gets prosecuted as hate speech in this country. Neither does chanting “Coulter on fire!” It may be crude. It may be vile. It may even be hateful. But it’s not hate speech.

So that’s something Coulter and the student I quote above have in common. No hate speech. Good for them. But there’s something else, something much more profound, they share.

Each is a True Believer.

The world is not complicated for the True Believer. It is Manichean. Binary. There is liberal and there is conservative. There is free speech and there is hate speech. Bright lines divide the hemispheres and what fits where is never in doubt. Indeed, the True Believer never suffers any doubt for all is certain. They have the answers and the answers are true. There’s no need to examine their beliefs, to think hard, to seek out and consider alternative views and contrary evidence.

If a question is asked for which the True Believer has no answer " like “why is this speech you loathe not protected by the right to free speech?” " there’s no need to reconsider and reflect. The True Believer simply moves on to the next slogan.

It is this quality " not her outrageous language " that makes Ann Coulter a blight on public discourse. But many of her critics can’t see that. Because they are no different.

Well, that’s not quite true. They sought to stop Coulter from speaking, and others from listening. Whatever Ann Coulter’s sins, she’s never done that.
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Column+Even+Coulter+villain+villain+this+piece/2722622/story.html
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 01:23 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
give it a couple of days

she'll be off everyone's radar again

toast
Well, Ann was pretty well known to us,
BEFORE she had any misadventure with Canadia.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 01:25 pm
@gungasnake,
Do u know to which group thay were referring ?

David
gungasnake

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 04:12 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
They were referring to what amounted to white trash serving the function of kept demmy voting blocks, mostly in Burlington Vt.
JTT

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 09:03 pm
Go Ask Alice
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 09:11 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
They were referring to what amounted to white trash
serving the function of kept demmy voting blocks, mostly in Burlington Vt.
I see; I 'm not very familiar with the demographics of Burlington Vt.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 12:31 am
here the Canadian Civil Liberties Association indicates that a structural problem of who pays for security in Canada is what prevented free speech in Ottawa.
http://www.windsorstar.com/Video+Civil+liberties+chief+discusses+Coulter/2726704/story.html
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 05:39 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
here the Canadian Civil Liberties Association indicates that a structural problem of who pays for security in Canada is what prevented free speech in Ottawa.
http://www.windsorstar.com/Video+Civil+liberties+chief+discusses+Coulter/2726704/story.html
Really? Does it say how she was deflected by receiving a threat in her email
qua a terroristic Canadian administrative agency, masquerading as a court??

David
JTT

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 02:22 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Really? Does it say how she was deflected by receiving a threat in her email
qua a terroristic Canadian administrative agency, masquerading as a court??

Some people think that facts are important to lawyers. Some might even think that facts would be important to someone with an IQ.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 02:27 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I am proud to be an American, a place where David Duke and his clan are still (for now at least) allowed to speak

Actually reads: I am proud to be an American, an American who has swallowed all the bullshit, hook, line and sinker and greedily slurped the remains from my chin.

Quote:
Canada's David Frum fired from conservative think tank after assailing GOP

WASHINGTON - David Frum, the Canadian-born conservative pundit who's been harshly critical of the Republican battle plan against President Barack Obama's health-care overhaul, is unapologetic after being fired Thursday from a right-wing think tank.

"I'm going to remain a conservative whether they want me or not," Frum told The Canadian Press on Thursday night following his ouster from the American Enterprise Institute, adding he was saddened by the turn of events.

"In a democracy, there are competing teams, and each team has to bring its best game to the table ... health-care reform is here to stay, it isn't going to be repealed, and it was within our grasp to help formulate it and we failed to do so. Instead, we decided to do whatever we could to make Democrats look wicked and evil."

On Sunday, Frum wrote on his website, FrumForum, that health-care reform had been a debacle for the Republican party, saying they'd "suffered their most crushing legislative defeat since the 1960s."

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/100325/national/us_cda_frum_fired

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 02:35 pm
@JTT,
The cutting loose of Frum is worthy of a thread of its own, but what has it got to do with this thread topic?
JTT

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 02:49 pm
@hawkeye10,
It clearly points up the sickening nature, the hypocrisy that is so much a part of the American system and way way too many of its people.

"I'm a proud American"

"This great country"

"God bless the USA"

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 08:59 pm
What's most telling about this whole little kefuffle is that none of the news reports, not a one that I've seen, bother to report anything on the contents of Ms Coulter's speeches.

Is the US media hanging on her every word, filling their pages with her enlightened comments?
0 Replies