laptop screen not detected after moving image from desktop

dfiore

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 07:23 am
We moved a desktop image to a laptop, same brand and reinstalled all the drivers. We also changed the device manager setting from ACPI to standard computer to genericize the HAL. Everything works except the LCD laptop display which works fine in safe mode, but as soon as the driver is applied it goes black and only the external monitor works. I tried booting to the external and extending onto the laptop, but hitting apply only reverts to its "unclicked" state. I also tried the close and open the lid trick which does light the backlight, but does not activate the screen or detect anything new. Finally I tried removing all reference to the monitor and display adapters in safe mode. I figure this is a registry hack I am not aware of. Any advice is appreciated to fix this problem. Thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,124 • Replies: 2
No top replies

parados

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 08:05 am
@dfiore,
Quote:
We moved a desktop image to a laptop, same brand and reinstalled all the drivers.

"Desktop image" isn 't very clear. My first thought was you meant an image of your desktop and I couldn't see why a jpg file would cause your screen to not work. Are you saying you moved a cloned drive to the laptop?

The fact that the screen only works in safe mode would probably mean you haven't installed the correct video drivers.

Moving a windows drive to a new machine and expecting it to work correctly in all instances is dreaming on a grand scale. The registry is a complicated place and minor references to hardware that is no longer available can cause problems. Simply removing hardware items using device manager won't guarantee the removal of all registry entries that reference that device.

You could spend hours trying to find the problems or you could spend a few less hours and just do a clean install. From experience, I know that trying to simply upgrading windows won't fix the problems of moving an existing windows drive to new hardware. (But my problem was with HAL and trying to make ACPI work correctly. A minor annoyance since it always required pushing the physical button to turn the machine off after a software shutdown.)
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 08:13 am
@dfiore,
Welcome to A2K!

Not sure I completely understand your question, but try right clicking on the desktop image you can see on the external monitor and selecting "Properties". Select the "Settings" tab and you should see a view of your monitor configuration. There might be something here you can do to activate both the LCD and the external monitors. One other thought: disconnect the external monitor. If the laptop is defaulting to only display on one monitor, it might be set up to choose the external monitor preferentially, but will default to the internal LCD if no external monitor is present.
0 Replies