Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 09:50 am
Hi, I'm just wondering if LLB degree is not recognized in US? I'm planning to take the LLB program over the JD program. Is it more practical to take the LLB program over the JD program? Will graduates of LLB be given a chance to practice law in US (given that, I'm coming from a different country that similarly practices common law)?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,934 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 10:18 am
Various states have different rules relating to the admittance of foreign-educated lawyers to state bar associations.

New York allows foreign lawyers to sit for the New York bar exam once they have completed a minimum of 20 credit hours (usually but not necessarily in an LL.M. program) at an ABA-approved law school involving at least two basic subjects tested on the New York bar exam. In addition, foreign lawyers from civil law countries have to present that they attended at least three years of law studies in their home countries. Lawyers from common-law countries face more lenient restrictions.

California allows students who have not completed a three-year legal degree program in United States law (or, in very rare circumstances, an apprenticeship) to sit for its bar exam after completing an LL.M. in comparative law from an ABA-approved law school.


Admission to the bar is regulated by the states, so each state will have different requirements. Check with the state's director of bar admissions or law examiners to determine whether a foreign-trained lawyer is allowed to take the bar exam in that state.
0 Replies

Related Topics

  1. Forums
  2. » Practicing Law in US
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 12/04/2021 at 01:48:20