Virus on my computer? Why doesn't control panel work?

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 08:23 pm
Yesterday, while I was on my computer, some odd popout appeared saying that I have viruses on my computer and that I need to delete them. I have Avast Antivirus, and this wasn't Avast, so I wasn't sure, but clicked on it anyways. It looks legitimate... Was called Microsoft XP Guardian.. and told me that my firewall wasn't working (when I checked, it indeed was OFF) and I couldn't do anything on my computer but click on the button to purchase XP Guardian in order to make my firewall turn ON. I paid $55 for it, but now my computer is in worse shape. I cannot access my control panel, cannot view if the windows firewall is on or not, and cannot open anything because it tells me, "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." I am not the administator?! (I cannot click on my username to view or change my password, image, etc). I cannot even turn my internet on because it says my internet has been deleted, as well as most of my other programs. Oh, and to add to that, my Avast Antivirus has disappeared!
Do I have a serious virus that is erasing everything from my computer?
Was that XP Guardian link the virus, disguised as an antivirus?
It gave me a license key after I bought it, I scanned my computer using it and erased the 27 threats that were on my computer.... but my computer is still acting up. What is going on?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 4,030 • Replies: 6
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 08:31 pm
@RadAndRandom,
You just been swindled.

I just Googled XP Guardian and it seems to be a fraudulent program and not from Microsoft.
http://tinyurl.com/yz26kpr

Quote:
XP Internet Security 2010 also known as XP Guardian, XP AntiSpyware 2010, XP Antivirus Pro and Antivirus XP 2010 is a rogue antispyware program that reports false infections and shows fake security alerts as a method of scaring you into buying the software. The rogue is distributed through the use of trojans. When the trojan is started, it will download and install XP Internet Security 2010 (XP Guardian or Antivirus XP 2010) onto your computer.

http://www.myantispyware.com/2010/01/28/how-to-remove-xp-internet-security-2010-xp-guardian-antivirus-xp-2010/

RadAndRandom

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 08:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
Oh dear.
What do I do now?
I cannot uninstall it because I cannot acess the "Add or Remove Programs" button!
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 08:48 pm
@RadAndRandom,
Follow the instructions provided in the above (now below) link.
http://www.myantispyware.com/2010/01/28/how-to-remove-xp-internet-security-2010-xp-guardian-antivirus-xp-2010/
RadAndRandom

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 08:51 pm
@tsarstepan,
Ok, I will try.
But my money is gone? Sad
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 09:03 pm
@RadAndRandom,
Call your bank and report the purchase. Dispute the charge as fraudulent. Perhaps your bank will pull the money from the jerk's bank account. Do it tomorrow. Don't wait too long.
RadAndRandom

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 02:12 am
@tsarstepan,
Oh my goodness, I just realized that in all my hassle, I failed to reply.
But I wanted to give you an enormous THANK YOU, tsarstepan.
You helped me out soooo much! I rescued my poor computer according to the instruction you gave me, and now it's faster than ever with no problems.
And I did call my bank.. they said they will TRY to stop the money from being put into their account, but don't know if it'll work...
0 Replies