Fork riddle

Maken

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 05:52 pm
Here is my riddle:
Maken is walking down a road in the middle of nowhere trying to find Paradise. He decides to stop in for a drink at the last bar for miles. The bartender tells him that there is a fork in the road up ahead. One way leads to certain death and the other way leads to Paradise. There are 2 brothers who guard the fork in the road. One of them always tells the truth, the other always tells a lie (no exeptions). Maken continues ahead and reaches the fork in the road. One of the brothers is at the fork guarding it while the other one rests. Maken may only ask the brother one question. What does he ask to ensure that he does not die, and reaches Paradise?

This is the answer i was expecting:

Maken asks, "Which way would your brother tell me to go?" then Maken goes the oppsite way.

This is the answer i got: Maken asks, "If I asked you if the left path goes to Paradise, would you tell me yes?"

If the Brother is the liar and the left path does go to Paradise, then he will answer "Yes." If the Brother is the truth-teller and the left path does go to Paradise, then he will answer "Yes."

If the Brother is the liar and the left path does NOT go to Paradise, then he will answer "No." If the Brother is the truth-teller and the left path does not go to Paradise, then he will answer "No."

So if the Brother answers "Yes," Maken will know that the left path leads to Paradise. If the Brother answers "No," Maken will know that the right path leads to Paradise.

Can this second answer work? I am just trying to get a second opinion.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,190 • Replies: 5
No top replies

riddler

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 09:45 pm
what does 1+1=?
0 Replies

Maken

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 10:03 pm
wtf does that mean?
0 Replies

riddler

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 10:22 pm
nothing, I just meant that as another question to ask the dudes at the fork, liar gives wrong answer and truth teller gives the roght one. sorry if that was offensive. will my apology be accepted, Maken?
0 Replies

Maken

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 11:53 pm
Of course. Very Happy

But I need to know which way to go, not just who the brother is.
0 Replies

Dakota4x4

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 09:50 pm
It doesn't matter which brother is answering the question of what would the other brother say, go the opposite way, it workes either way.

the liar will say that his brother will say left, so it's right

the honest one will say his brother will say left knowing very well that his brother will lie, so it will be right.
they both will say left or they both will say right, and you will go the oposite way.
0 Replies