one more time...

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 12:54 am
This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it? It look so plain you would think nothing was wrong with it! In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is unusual though. Study it, and think about it, but you still may not find anything add. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out! Try to do so without any coaching!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,187 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 12:57 am
@Madelein,
It's missing the most common letter in English.
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 01:02 am
It's an example of what's known as "constrained writing" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constrained_writing
where you adopt a constraint on what you can do when you write (poetry other than free verse is probably the best known example of constrained writing--words must rhyme at the end of lines (or within them), they must have a certain rhythm of stressed and unstressed syllables, and the rhymes must occur in a certain order, e.g. ABBA)
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 01:06 am
My alumni magazine, which came yesterday, had an article about a seminar on constrained writing being taught this term, which is how I know about it. Never heard the term until yesterday, tho I was familiar with a couple of the common forms. Strange the timin of these things. You must be in tune with the cosmic flow, Madelein
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 01:46 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
A Void (translated from the original French La Disparition (literally, "The Disappearance") is a 300-page French lipogrammatic novel, written in 1969 by Georges Perec, entirely without using the letter e (except for the author's name), following Oulipo constraints.

Source:Wiki
0 Replies