iPhone vs Android Platform

Seed

Tue 23 Feb, 2010 01:30 pm
Honestly, pros and cons of both. Which is better? I know now with all the Droid guys that there will be a bit of fanboyism with the Droid platform and what not, but I am going to be soon (a few months) getting a new phone and I am between getting an iPhone or a Droid. Would like to see pros and cons of both from users of both.

Robert Gentel

Tue 23 Feb, 2010 02:18 pm
@Seed,
Android - Open, no Apple deciding what you can run on it.
iPhone - Many more apps. You can't play Civilization on your Android right now but you can play it on the iPhone.

Android - Does more, lets you multi task etc.
iPhone - Has more intuitive usability and polish in the UI.

That's the basics IMO. The iPhone has an app store head start, but the Android platform is not a walled garden. Right now I think the iPhone is a better choice for most customers but I'm hoping that the Android app store gains traction and unseats the iPhone.
Diest TKO

Wed 24 Feb, 2010 10:08 am
@Robert Gentel,
Good write up.

The question I have for droid folk is what can you do with a droid that you can't with a jail broken iphone? I keep hearing about so many of the cool things that can be done/programmed on it. I'd like to know how the difficulty of doing these advanced actions on a Droid is. I've helped jailbreak a iPhone, and I didn't think it was hard at all.

T
K
O
The Chief

Wed 24 Feb, 2010 01:34 pm
@Diest TKO,
Rooting is easy but rooting a Droid alone doesn't necessarily DO anything to the phone except give you superuser permissions to do other things. For example, my Droid has LIVE WALLPAPERS, along with SetCPU that allows me to adjust the processor clock speed. Not having owned an iPhone, I can't vouch for it except that Apple keeps a TIGHT lid on the apps in its market, while the Android Market is wide open (and the Droid can accept 3rd party apps not in the market.
Diest TKO

Wed 24 Feb, 2010 01:50 pm
@The Chief,
Cool stuff. I'll restate my question though.

So all of those things you described on the Droid, what level of computing ability is needed to modify a Live Wallpaper, or over clock the CPU?

Jail broken iPhones can use 3rd party apps too. Some are seriously cool.

T
K
O
Robert Gentel

Wed 24 Feb, 2010 03:11 pm
@Diest TKO,
Not having to jailbreak the phone is a huge deal.

The latest iPhones need to be unlocked every time you turn them off and on again. I spent hours jailbreaking it to upgrade the OS version and right now there is no way to get the latest OS version on some iPhones.

So this is not a trivial difference, and not having to do all this **** is a huge reason that the Android platform (not the Droid phone, which being CDMA is even more jailed than the iPhone as there's no software fix for that) is attractive in the first place.

Because otherwise you are just asking which has the best hardware, everything else can be modified by hacking in theory. And in that regard the Droid and the Nexus One both have superior hardware to the iPhone.
0 Replies

ailsa

Tue 2 Aug, 2011 08:26 pm
@Seed,
I have a android phone , it is zte v880. I like it, it can fully satisfy my needs including playing games such as Angry birds, and surfing the internet. But i lost this phone now, i also want to buy a new one, and i also found some bad information about the android system, now i'm considering to buy a android phone or a Nokia phone, because the iphone is higher my budget. Any idea?
Robert Gentel

Wed 3 Aug, 2011 11:51 am
@ailsa,
If your choice is between Android and Nokia for a smartphone it's almost a no-brainer: go with an Android phone.

Nokia is killing off it's smartphone line and replacing it with Windows phones, they may eventually be a real third contender but right now iOS and Android are the smartphone operating systems that are capturing hearts and minds (which usually translates into a better experience for users because of more apps etc).
0 Replies

Jermin Austin

Tue 13 Dec, 2011 03:27 am
@Seed,
It is impossible to say, I find iPhone better and I actually used Android for a while, but that is based on my needs. But both phones are very capable, and you can get Android alot cheaper.

I would say that if you like iTunes and gaming, then go for iPhone. If you don't like iTunes and want to access your phone directly and want a more open mobile os, and you want to save some money, go for android.

Thanks a lot.
Jermin Austin

crissy

Sun 18 Dec, 2011 01:05 am
@Seed,
Personal understanding is that Android was a civilian system, multi-user, low cost, the developer more than the threshold is low, the user can choose according to their preferences, or think you want a large number of software.

Apple user’s three hobbies: photo, game, blog.
Android three hobbies: reflash firmware, restart, replace the battery.
Symbian (Nokia System) three Hobbies: throw phone, wrestling phone, drop phone.
0 Replies

surovi

Tue 10 Jan, 2012 11:51 pm
@Seed,
both are best
0 Replies

JosephObrien

Mon 7 May, 2012 06:56 am
@Seed,
I would suggest you to go with android phone.It's better.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Tue 8 Jan, 2013 05:23 am
@Seed,
Here's some more info to help you decide:

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2012/12/14/iphone-or-android-the-case-for-each/
0 Replies

christiecornell

Wed 9 Jan, 2013 10:23 am
@Seed,
When you're looking for a new Smartphone, choosing an iPhone or Android phone isn't a trouble-free task. Though both phones offer a lot of great features, they may seem so similar that it's hard to differentiate between them. If you look closely then some features may differ which are OS compatibility, gaming, android market, battery life, screen size, applications available and such other more stuff. It depends on you what kind of Smartphone you want and for what purpose. I hope it helps you out. Thanks.
0 Replies

pattyb

Wed 6 Feb, 2013 11:29 pm
Android - best-selling platform
iPhone - best-selling handset

Android has cutting-edge handsets with multiple-core processors, huge screens and connections to faster 4G networks but some may never get an update which results in Android ecosystem being fragmented.

For iPhone, there is this polish and consistency not found in other mobile platforms. But Apple is infamous for being restrictive and controlling. Some apps can't be compatible with it.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Mon 11 Feb, 2013 03:36 am

I just got a Samsung Gallaxy Note II,
which I have been led to believe is an Android.
I got it from Verizon.
Now I need to figure out how to operate it.

David
0 Replies

Dopebeat

Sat 23 Feb, 2013 05:28 am
@Seed,
Apple just doesn't have the choice, so many people have the iPhone that there's nothing unique about it. Unless you que on the first day, no one will be interested in what your phone can do as eveyone'll have already seen it.

With Android, there are so many different handsets out there that you at least have some level of choice.
0 Replies

ShirleyRogers

Mon 19 May, 2014 12:38 am
@Seed,
Because of following pros and cons found on Android I switched from iPhone to Android
1.More Free applications
2. More multimedia ease
3. Better unlock options-- You can unlock your device to any app you want
4. Multiple user account to be set o the same Android tablet
5. Images with contact list
6. Better notification bar
7. Visible file system
8. More customization
9. You can replace Android's default keyboard with any third-party alternative
10. Endless sharing options

Thanks
0 Replies

kingchum

Wed 6 May, 2015 09:09 pm
@Seed,
IOS and Android has its own advantages, IOS system is a completely closed system, but the system high continuity and high security, need to pay for downloaded software.
Android is an open source and free software, but the security system itself is not high.
HaroldKRoy

Fri 25 Mar, 2016 06:16 am
@kingchum,
I like android more.. I have android phone, easy to handle, awesome features.
0 Replies