reelance writers for News Magazine

tintin

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 11:56 am
please see some text

Freelance writers for News Magazine retain the copyrights to their articles. Joe, a freelance writer for News Magazine, has heard that News Magazine plans to assemble an online compilation of past issues. Joe believes that this will enable him to sell the copyrights to his News Magazine articles back to the magazine for use in the online compilation

who retains the copyright ? writer or Magazine ?

>>>back to the magazine for use in the online compilation

but he has sold out articles already.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,216 • Replies: 6
No top replies

sullyfish6

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 12:28 pm
Depends on what he signed with the publisher.
Sometimes the publication rights include all other forms of media.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 05:39 pm
@tintin,
please see some text

but he has sold [out] the articles already.

'sold out' means all items of a certain piece of merchandise are gone, Tintin. I think you probably already knew that.
tintin

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 09:10 pm
@JTT,
Thanks JTT for the correction. Please do correct me any mistakes you find in future also. You are helping me a lot . I'm improving.

Thanks for your time.
JTT

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 09:35 pm
@tintin,
Thanks JTT for the correction. Please do correct for me any mistakes you find in the future also. You are helping me a lot . I'm improving.

Thanks for your time.

You're most welcome, Tintin.
0 Replies

tintin

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 09:37 pm
Can anybody explain this in simple words . I'm not at all comfortable with this ...
Joe believes that this will enable him to sell the copyrights to his News Magazine articles back to the magazine for use in the online compilation

what he is trying to do ? he possessed the copyrights ..right ? Now he wants to sell the copyright to the News Magazine ? Is it a requirement for online publication ? If a publisher wants to put articles online , do they need the exclusive copyright from author ?

why Joe is doing this ? Is it because to fetch him some more money ?

I know this is beyond the scope of the text probably . I just want to know how things works in real world .

JTT

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 09:46 pm
@tintin,
Joe believes that this will enable him to sell the copyrights to his News Magazine articles back to the magazine for use in the online compilation

Let me try this, Tintin.

Joe believes that something/some deal/event/situation will make it so he can re-sell the copyrights to his News Magazine articles that he still owns, back to the magazine when they put together a new online compilation. In other words, they'll have to pay him for the original article and again for the online publishing of his articles.
0 Replies