Impossible riddle

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 05:50 pm
What's the difference between an orange an an orange?
That's why you can't shingle pancakes to an igloo.
Now ask me if I'm a tree.
(when someone asks you of your a tree you say no and then repeat the riddle over and over. It took my friend five years to figure this out and I have no idea what the answer us. Please help me!!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,104 • Replies: 1
No top replies

fresco

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 01:45 am
@Juggernot816,
This "riddle" seems to be a dialogue which illustrates the philosophical position called "non-duality" i.e. "Things and thingers are mutually co-existent". There is no separate existence of "things", even though we operate as such in everyday life.

There is no "difference" between "an orange" and "an orange" in the mind of the thinger of an orange, because "an orange" merely expresses a general expectancy of relationship between thinger and thinged. That expectancy of relationship replaces "properties of objects" in normal parlance. Thus there is no expectancy that "pancakes" will stick to "igloos" on the part of the thinger of those two concepts, nor can the thinger of trees be a tree because "thinging" is not expected of "trees".

Just to return to an actual situation of two oranges, in a particular context there will be functional differences (size, colour etc) evoked by the observer between what were originally equivalent items, but note that such differences also involve expectancies. In general, similarity and difference are always in the domain of the thinger.
0 Replies