Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 11:29 am
It's an olympic sport apparently of great import; why?

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 11:36 am
@dyslexia,
I can't imagine why anyone would even bother watching the activity of ice sweeping, let alone consider it a sport. I'm equally perplexed with this Canadian fetish.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 11:39 am
Laughing Hey, don't diss my sport - It can be exciting!
Tai Chi

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 11:44 am
@dyslexia,
Watch Men With Brooms

Here's a sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqLchpTL90Q&feature=related
farmerman

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 11:45 am
@dyslexia,
Ive asked the same question. and have arrived at several answers, some of which may even be close to correct

1In curling, there is no need for a sport "elite" to require extensive life altering changes in order to prepare for high level pwerformance. ANY BODY CAN CURL AND MOST CAN CURL REAL GOOD

2Curling involves beer, shouting, and rinks as big as bowling alleys. SUch places afford people the perfect excuse to get away for the evening and get shitfaced while training for an event. CANT BEAT THAT

3 Curling was originally part of the winter Olympics and then it was removed because the IOC didnt believe that people would tolerate athletes as big as sumo rasslers. SO THE CURLERS HAVE SLIMMED DOWN PRETTY MUCH AND THE IOC LET EM BACK IN

4 The Islands from which the stones are quarried had undergone several decades of financial ruin until the IOC announced that curling would be reintroduced in the 1990's. EVERYBODY ON -------------------------- -----------(Im under contract to not divulge the m ineralogical source terrane for these special xcurling stones.) NOW HAS A HUMMER)

Those are all the things I can think of. Oh yeh, SWIFFER started making these brushless brooms for curling teams.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 11:45 am
@Mame,
Is it as exciting as poutine looks delicious? Um... I meant allegedly looks delicious? http://i45.tinypic.com/oss8qg.jpg
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 11:47 am
Well, no Bonspiel's for you then.

I like the part that even if you lose, you win (winners buy the round)

We gotta lot ice around these parts and it's a long cold winter.

Still. I've never played.

Laughing
farmerman

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 11:51 am
@Joeblow,
The Bemidji Curling Club has several variants of beer and ale on tap at the rinks.
"We curl till we can no longer see"
Joeblow

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 11:54 am
@farmerman,
OK I'll let you win Razz
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 11:55 am
@Tai Chi,
That was great.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 01:09 pm
Darts. They should have chosen Darts if they wanted a sport which involved large men, beer and useless objects.

Joe(oh? What are you going to use either a dart or one of those stones for?(Nation
Mame

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 01:19 pm
I've never curled, either, TaiChi, but I've gotten into it a bit since Sandra Schmurler's team won big.
Izzie

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 01:35 pm
@Mame,
I really like the curling - kinda all got a bit hyped up here last year and carried forward to this year Very Happy

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 01:44 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Darts. They should have chosen Darts if they wanted a sport which involved large men, beer and useless objects.

Joe(oh? What are you going to use either a dart or one of those stones for?(Nation

The difference between darts and curling?

In curling? You have yelling and obsessive compulsive behavior (sweeping).
In darts? You have the danger of giving your competitors and team mates alike an accidental lobotomy.
http://images.paraorkut.com/img/funnypics/images/d/dart_to_the_face-13297.jpg
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 02:22 pm
@Izzie,
Alright, girl! How's your team doing?
dlowan

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 02:29 pm
@dyslexia,
What's with the sweeping?

Do they ever hit that little stove thing?

What IS that little stove thing?

How did it all start?

I mean, all sports are kind of weird, but this is REALLY weird!

And, is the vicious blood "sport" of ice hockey the dirty little secret of why Canadians manage to be so NICE the rest of the time?
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 02:49 pm
@Mame,
We're still in there with a shot! Think we're about to play the Swiss.

(watching the Ski Cross at the moment - good lawd - peeing my pants - unbelievably thrilling!)

Razz
0 Replies

BarbieQPickle

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 03:39 pm
I was watching this at 5 am the other night just trying to figure out exactly what the point is, I still have yet to determine it. I wonder how one aspires to become a "Curler"?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 03:44 pm
@dyslexia,
I never watched curling before this olympics, but now I love it. I don't understand all the rules yet, but there seems to be a lot of strategy involved in placing the stones.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 03:45 pm
It's like Bacci on ice.