Is USB suitable for a home network?

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 05:55 am
I'm trying to network 3 PCs at home, and connect them all to the internet via our ADSL modem (USB jack).

I saw in the computer shop that there were USB hubs available. The PCs all have USB or USB2 ports, as does the modem.

What I would like to ask you good people is if USB is fast enough to use for a network (for LAN gaming and device-sharing mainly, not much file-sharing), or is it only fast enough for internet access?

Any comments or suggestions gratefully accepted.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,904 • Replies: 31
No top replies

Monger

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 06:08 am
USB 1.1 == 12 Mbps == not the fastest cable out there.
USB 2.0 == 480 Mbps == that'll be way more than enough.
0 Replies

jpowell

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 06:14 am
USB hub won't work. It doesn't work like that.

Can you use ethernet? Or is the modem USB only? England perhaps?

If your modem has ethernet get a router from Linksys or Netgear. If your modem outputs Ethernet I can help. If it only has USB I can help too. It's just ugly.
0 Replies

jpowell

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 06:16 am
Monger wrote:
USB 1.1 == 12 Mbps == slow.
USB 2.0 == 480 Mbps == yeah that'll be more than enough.

Can you do Internet Connection Sharing with USB? Through a hub? I know you can do IP over Firewire. News to me..
0 Replies

jpowell

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 06:19 am
If you have spare PCI slots you could add NIC's. And have you box act like a router with a USB input. HUH..
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 06:24 am
Yeah I'm confused with all this too. I know it sounds like he's confusing USB hubs with network hubs, but he definitely seems to have a USB ADSL modem. (?) I was assuming he's got USB NIC's or somesuch weird mutation. If that's not the case then I'm way too confused. Laughing Why the hell are there USB ADSL modems, eh?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 06:27 am
R u guyz talking english ? Shocked

Actually, sooner or later I want to set up a wireless network in my home (though I just have one laptop, but I wanna use it from anywhere within my home) I will come back here for tutorial - but you guyz will have to promise to speak in English...
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 06:28 am
Thanks to you both.

The modem outputs USB only. We can use ethernet if we get cards for the PCs, although one is a laptop so not sure if enough room inside for another.

A possible solution seems to be to get a new modem with ethernet output as well, get a standard ethernet hub and plug modem & PCs into it?

Failing that, are there adapters to convert USB signal (from modem) to ethernet (then into a hub)?

Otherwise JP, I would be keen to hear your solution - even if it is ugly!
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 06:39 am
Monger wrote:
I know it sounds like he's confusing USB hubs with network hubs.

I am! I just saw the USB hub in the shop and thought it could act as a network hub. I guess it won't work then?

Monger wrote:
but he definitely seems to have a USB ADSL modem. (?)

Yes. It's the one we were sent by BT (who provide our broadband line).

Monger wrote:
I was assuming he's got USB NIC's or somesuch weird mutation.

Not sure what that means. Sorry!

Monger wrote:
If that's not the case then I'm way too confused. Laughing Why the hell are there USB ADSL modems, eh?

I'm confused as well! I assume from your comments Monger that these USB ASDL modems are not common elsewhere?

jpowell wrote:
If you have spare PCI slots you could add NIC's. And have you box act like a router with a USB input. HUH..

Not sure what NIC's are (but I do know what PCI slots are!). How about if the modem goes into one PC via USB, then an ethernet signal goes out into an ethernet hub, then into the other 2 PCs. This would mean that the PC with the modem attached needs to be switched on for the other machines to access the modem? That wouldn't be a problem if it was necessary.
0 Replies

jpowell

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 06:45 am
Grand Duke wrote:
Thanks to you both.

The modem outputs USB only. We can use ethernet if we get cards for the PCs, although one is a laptop so not sure if enough room inside for another.

(2)A possible solution seems to be to get a new modem with ethernet output as well, get a standard ethernet hub and plug modem & PCs into it?

(3)Failing that, are there adapters to convert USB signal (from modem) to ethernet (then into a hub)?

Otherwise JP, I would be keen to hear your solution - even if it is ugly!

#2 looks like the best right now. Ethernet + Router = Best Bet.
You should look up the difference between router and hub. Very big difference.

#3 Yes, you can do that. Drivers can be tricky. Let me look into this for you. I have a job interview in a few hours. So I need sleep. Check back, I will try to help.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 06:47 am
Yeah, USB hubs ain't for networking. They just let you connect heaps of USB devices to your computer when you only have a few slots for 'em.

NIC stands for Network Interface Card. (I hate acronyms actually, but well I ain't much for typing long names either Smile)
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 06:51 am
Monger wrote:
Yeah, USB hubs ain't for networking. They just let you connect heaps of USB devices to your computer when you only have a few slots for 'em.

Cheers Monger. That makes sense now. Am I unlucky in having a USB modem?
0 Replies

jpowell

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 07:17 am
Monger wrote:
Am I unlucky in having a USB modem?

yes
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 07:19 am
Why ?
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 07:20 am
psst...I didn't write that JP. But yeah me agrees with you about the duke's unluckiness.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 07:29 am
Gautam, it's unlucky cuz USB just ain't meant for networking. It means you'll have to use weird methods to get it connected to just about any network in the world.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 07:40 am
Oh right - but as long as I have just one laptop connected to my usb modem it shud be fine ?
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 07:41 am
You have a USB ADSL modem too? Good lord what's wrong with England?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 07:41 am
Well, that is what the broadband providers supply.....
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 07:43 am
I had no idea that joining 3 PCs to each other & the internet would be such hard work!

Is a router basically a modem with multiple input/ouputs enabling more than one PC to be connected to it? And a hub is just a 'junction box' to connect PCs to each other?
0 Replies