Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 08:34 am
@Setanta,
I edited my mistake.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 08:40 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

Dadpad was referring to a recent court decision. The melody for the hit song was lifted from an old Australian children's song. Men At Work owe compensation to the writers of the children's song.

all 3 unrecognisable bars of it

wandeljw wrote:

(why am I posting on a thread about vegemite?)

because is an interesting topic. See how many currently active topics mention it.

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 08:42 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:
wandeljw wrote:

because is an interesting topic. See how many currently active topics mention it.

In much the same way that people are fascinated by train wrecks.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 09:00 am
@wandeljw,
Only the tiniest bit is...I've never before managed to catch where the hell it is, but I did just then.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 09:21 am
speaking of Vegemite...you reckon it helped Torah triumph in the snowboard competition. What a great moment...
tenderfoot

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 04:41 pm
@panzade,
Yes!! I believe she spread it underneath them
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 04:52 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

Because it's the only sensible place to be! Razz

Vegemite and cheese on toast was my standard breakfast for the months I lived in the cave!

And we're happy little Vegemites!
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 12:48 am
Does Vegemite taste just like brewers yeast? Cause if so I think my brief stints in Australia and being partly raised by Australians are to blame for me having a taste for brewers yeast, as very few people I know can stand it.

Hell, come to think of it I think Australians are the only people to ever feed me brewers yeast and wheat germ. I haven't had either in over 10 years...
dlowan

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 01:23 am
@Robert Gentel,
I don't think so!!!

I can tolerate a bit of vegemite from time, but brewer's yeast!!! Yeccchhhh.

That being said, I haven't tried brewer's yeast for a long, long time. It could be if I were to try it again I would find a similarity to vegemite.

Vegemite tastes like salt paste with some other flavours mixed in. Probably yeasty ones.
dadpad

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 01:39 am
Really salty vitamin B and yeast.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 01:48 am
@dlowan,
The description I read of it, which was a comparison to beef bullion, seemed like a saltier version of brewers yeast. I used to eat that plain by the teaspoon and I liked it, maybe I should find me some Vegemite.
dlowan

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 04:49 am
@Robert Gentel,
Definitely worth a go.

Yes, it is a buillony kind of taste...a bit bonoxy, but different, since it is not meat based.

Here is where home-sick Ozzians get their's while overseas:

http://www.homesick.com.au/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=11

IF they cannot source it locally, or get friends/family to send it. Legend tells us that legions of Australians would await the arrival of the "vegemite ship" in London, when English supplies had been exhausted.

Vegemite would be included in care packages sent by loved ones to Australians in foreign lands.

Hell, any of us would happily send you some!

Setanta

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 05:59 am
My sister would put brewer's yeast on her popcorn . . . blech . . . i didn't hate it, but to use that in place of salt and butter? Sacrilege . . .
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 06:29 am
deb, my impression is that most Americans who've tried it think it's kind of a failed attempt at peanut butter. My ozzie-gringo niece and nephew were seemingly ignorant of peanut butter til they spent some time in the States, and then they thought the two were similar (they did, maybe still do, prefer Vegemite). Is peanut butter really just American? (and Canadian, and, strangely, Dutch. And Chinese, who are major exporters oddly enough--don't know if they eat it, or just get rid of it to unsuspecting other countries).
dlowan

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 06:36 am
@MontereyJack,
Peanut butter is universal. Your relatives are just pods!

I can't see a resemblance, myself....except both are pastes.
MontereyJack

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:04 am
oh, good, it's nice to have something that unites us all--I'd complain to wikipedia, tho, if I were you, since they only mention US and Netherlands as consumers (and China and US as producers).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:46 am
@dlowan,
I like Vegemite! I get why people don't, but I like it. In small amounts.
Setanta

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:52 am
I'm very surprised by the claim about Wikipedia. Peanuts, peanut sauces and peanut butter are used throughout Asian cuisines. I suspect that peanuts are grown just about everywhere it can thrive, too, since the plant is a nitrogen-fixer, as are most legumes.
dlowan

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 09:39 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

I like Vegemite! I get why people don't, but I like it. In small amounts.

You must visit it in Australia!
sozobe

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 09:47 am
@dlowan,
I would love that!

It's just possible -- not anytime too soon, but we're ready to do more traveling (although we've been "ready" for a year or two without doing anything about it) and have a standing invitation to... er... Melbourne? I forget now where the person I have in mind lives (a former postdoc of E.G.'s). Definitely Australia though!
0 Replies