Nature vs Nurture

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 10:37 pm
Which is it folks? Nature or Nurture? Discuss!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,124 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 10:39 pm
Nature is nurture with a roof overhead. a/u Wink
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 12:18 am
Both.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 06:29 am
In my case it was suture
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 06:38 am
I think that it is very significant that you only allowed two choices.......nature or nurture. I have long believed that abilities, intelligence, temperament, propensity towards illness, etc. are a complex interaction of genes and environment.

What has always appalled and amazed me, is that so many people seem to espouse one side or another in this issue. I think that life is much too complicated to explain many facets of life by genetics or environment only!
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 09:28 am
Wasn't this question definitively answered in a movie with Eddie Murphy and Dan Ayckroyd?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 10:06 am
It's both over all, with nature dominating the long run, and nurture the short.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 10:24 am
Well said Phoenix.
I was going to say the same thing.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 12:37 pm
spatula
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 12:51 pm
Spatula ?
Whisk.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 12:58 pm
Whisk?
Fern.
0 Replies

Locke-freeamerica

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 05:27 pm
Joe, you cant answer a question like this, tehre is no answer, only opinions

mine is both, no 2 people will ever act the same in the same situation, but the exact same person would act differently in different situations. people are both with a nature in them ,but that nature is interfered with by nuture
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 07:12 pm
[email protected] wrote:
Joe, you cant answer a question like this, tehre is no answer, only opinions

Taking Locke aside, whispering: "I was just kidding."
0 Replies

Locke-freeamerica

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 08:56 pm
Taking Joe aside, whispering "[size=7][/size] it was obvious that you were kidding about the dan akroyd bit, but that doesnt mean a question like this can be answered"
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 04:56 am
Fern ?
Video.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 09:12 am
It's both. See previous thread:

Personality

Quote:
="[email protected] "]Joe, you cant answer a question like this, tehre is no answer, only opinions

While a lot of people have opinions on the subject, there is an answer that is validated by scientific studies. I would recommend reading "The Blank Slate" by Steven Pinker.
0 Replies

Locke-freeamerica

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 03:24 pm
its impossible to answer an abstract question, sometimes there are universally accepted theories, but thats not an answer, its just a good opinion

but i will look at that book, thanks for the suggestion
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 11:49 pm
First of all Locke, this is a debate forum. We usually don't debate when there is a clear and evident truth.

As for the topic, I think it's nature.

I have stated in earlier threads that everything boils down to our genetic material. As infants, everything is dictated by genes. Then, we imitate and later on we copy our parents and siblings which is nature again. However, what we do with that information later on in life is considered nurture because it was what we were taught, but our genes decide how we react to what we were taught. Even random events pass through our ego and id which are controlled through our genes.

Since every cell has the genes to tell every cell what to do, our entire body is controlled by our genetic makeup; and every action that runs through our mind must be controlled by our genes, therefore we act and react as a result of nature.
0 Replies

Sheep

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 07:23 pm
Good answer
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 07:05 am
Individual, twins with identical genes do not have identical lives, personalities, or reactions to things. Genes provide the basis instructions for brain growth, but neural pathways are formed in response to stimulation and learning that influence future decisions.

We are not at the mercy of our genes since our minds can learn to overrule natural urges.
0 Replies