How do I fix unhealthy/bleached hair?

Wed 17 Feb, 2010 10:17 pm
I have brunette hair, but I like to experiment with my hair colors. I used to stick with dark shades such as espresso, burgundy, and deep purple, but once the purple darkened my hair too much, it was impossible for any other dye to be visible. Dye it any color I want, and it still looked black-ish purple. So, I went to a salon to get my hair stripped of all dark color, and had it dyed fire-engine red. I stuck with that for several months until it began to wash off, fade, and none of the dyes I bought matched it, therefore, I got tired of it, and I went back to the same salon to have it bleached yet again, This time I went blonde. My hairstylist warned me that since it is too soon to have it bleached again, my hair might become really unhealthy and start breaking off. Thankfully, it doesn't break off, but it gets frizzy and always looks thirsty. I use Bedhead mega-nutrient shampoo & conditioner, as well as a Dumb Blonde After-Bleaching Hair Reconstructor, but that doesn't seem to help much. I attemped the fail-proof oils, such as Jojoba Oil & Camellia Oil, leaving it in my hair for a full night, but my hair looks healthy only the day that I wash off the oil, but the next day and on, it's back to its horsehair/straw-like texture. Any tips on how I can restore my hair back to its shiny, healthy state?

Robert Gentel

Wed 17 Feb, 2010 10:42 pm
@RadAndRandom,
RadAndRandom wrote:
Any tips on how I can restore my hair back to its shiny, healthy state?

Sure. Leave it alone and let it grow out. Anything else is just hair makeup. Hair is dead, it doesn't heal or get better. It doesn't need vitamins or anything else they advertise and pretty much all the hair products do is leave a residue that makes it look different (e.g. want shiny? we leave oils in your hair).

So if you want natural, just let it grow on its own. If you want shiny then I'm sure one of the women here knows more about hair residue products than I do.
0 Replies

Eva

Wed 17 Feb, 2010 10:53 pm
Robert is right, of course, but I would add this: See a professional.

I stopped coloring my own hair when I got a bad box of highlighting color at the drugstore that turned my hair green. (Ack.) I immediately tied a scarf around my head and went to a shop that had a good reputation. It took the colorist 4 hours and several processes, but eventually she got it back to a natural color. And the texture was better than when I started. Ask around. Find someone who knows what they're doing. Don't attempt to fix it yourself.
RadAndRandom

Wed 17 Feb, 2010 11:58 pm
@Eva,
@ Robert, "hair makeup"... haha, good one.
and yes, Eva, finding a professional to make my hair look healthy sounds like the best thing to do... but that is going to cost money.... & I already wasted close to $400 on those 2 visits to the salon. I'd rather attempt to make my hair seem healthier at home, by myself.
Even now, my roots are beginning to show & I know it'd be best to go to a salon to have them retouched.. but, I think I will try buying blonde hairdye and applying it to my roots, several times, maybe once a week, for about a month & a half, to try to get it as light a blonde as my hair is.. do you know if that will work? Hopefully my hair won't turn green. Hah...
Oh boy. Maintaining my blonde hair is going to cost more than I thought.
0 Replies

dadpad

Thu 18 Feb, 2010 12:23 am
Vegemite makes an awsome hair restorer. Every aussie girl knows that. just buy a jar and thin it down about 50% with warm water. Apply wait 3 mins rinse off and apply again. wait 3 mins and rinse off.
Setanta

Thu 18 Feb, 2010 12:43 am
What are the industrial engineering uses of Vegemite?
0 Replies

dadpad

Thu 18 Feb, 2010 12:52 am
axle grease, tyre black, UV protection for wombats ar the main ones.

Look Set, if you have a question you could always start your own thread and stop digressing radandrandoms thread.

sheese how many times do you need to be told!
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 18 Feb, 2010 12:53 am
I'll just leave you Beauty Queens in peace, then . . .
0 Replies

RadAndRandom

Thu 18 Feb, 2010 01:04 am
@dadpad,
Vegemite? Never heard of it in hair products, etc.
Odd. But I most likely will give it a try!
It sounds a little strange to use it for hair if it is used for engineering purposes... haha..
Setanta

Thu 18 Feb, 2010 01:06 am
@RadAndRandom,
Vegemite is, allegedly, a food product, too. It boggles the mind.
msolga

Thu 18 Feb, 2010 01:13 am
@RadAndRandom,
Quote:
Vegemite? Never heard of it in hair products, etc.
Odd. But I most likely will give it a try!
It sounds a little strange to use it for hair if it is used for engineering purposes... haha.

Vegemite has absolutely nothing to offer those with over bleached hair. It is a spread, to be used on toast or crackers, or something ...
RadAndRandom

Thu 18 Feb, 2010 01:16 am
@Setanta,
Yeah, some kind of spread or something of that sort. Never tried it, doubt I will.
It's actually kind of strange how many foods are used for treating hair... such as, egg whites, mayonnaise, and I even heard something about ketchup. Hah.. I remember once when I was around 13, I actually got over being disgusted by the idea of putting food and my hair and shampooed my hair with eggs. My hair had the most repulsive smell after that, and it's texture was sticky, fragile, and dry. I had to shampoo it several times after that to get it back to normal, though my hair still felt very coarse after. So, I will not be trying the other ideas I've heard about.. such as mayo. I'll save myself from the repulsion.
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 18 Feb, 2010 01:17 am
Does anyone in Oztralia ever actually eat Vegemite?
RadAndRandom

Thu 18 Feb, 2010 01:19 am
@msolga,
Quote:
Vegemite has absolutely nothing to offer those with over bleached hair. It is a spread, to be used on toast or crackers

Wow, so much for trusting you people. Haha. I'd be putting food in my hair hoping it'll help, while you'd be snickering at the thought of me doing so.
Meanies. Haha.

Thanks msolga.
msolga

Thu 18 Feb, 2010 01:19 am
@Setanta,
That is irrelevant to the solutions for over-bleached hair. (If there are any.)
msolga

Thu 18 Feb, 2010 01:21 am
@RadAndRandom,
Quote:
Thanks msolga

No problem.

Any time. Smile
0 Replies

RadAndRandom

Thu 18 Feb, 2010 01:27 am
@msolga,
Quote:
...irrelevant to the solutions for over-bleached hair. (If there are any.) Sad

Oh, great. So I might be left with no solution....? Sad
dadpad

Thu 18 Feb, 2010 01:58 am
@RadAndRandom,
RadAndRandom wrote:

Quote:
...irrelevant to the solutions for over-bleached hair. (If there are any.) Sad

Oh, great. So I might be left with no solution....? Sad

seriosly robert gave you the correct and best solution rad.

sorry 'bout the vegimite digression, i'm in a frisky mood.

i figured someone would straighten Rad out fairly quickly. hope you all got a laugh. Laughter is good medicine.
RadAndRandom

Thu 18 Feb, 2010 02:08 am
@dadpad,
Wow hahaha okkkkkayyy.
But even though Robert may be right about not being able to restore my dead hair, I am still wondering if there are any products that give hair the look of healthy hair. Some fake shine-boosting product that masks the deadness (is that a word?) of my hair.
Ticomaya

Thu 18 Feb, 2010 07:48 am
@RadAndRandom,
RadAndRandom wrote:
... I am still wondering if there are any products that give hair the look of healthy hair.

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/172/healthyhairdailycondito.jpg http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/6442/jojobahealthyhair.jpg
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/1239/helpforsplitends2110864.jpghttp://img685.imageshack.us/img685/2026/55425262.jpg