Verbally abusive teachers

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 06:15 pm
Hi I'm new here to this forum. I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I have a burning question in my mind. I was wondering if it is right or legal for a teacher to verbally abuse students. I'm in high school and one of my teachers threatens students with death or other dangerous consequences if that student doesn't be quiet or whatever. Is this legal? I was just wondering about this.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,473 • Replies: 2
No top replies

fishin

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 06:23 pm
It probably pushes the limits on "communicating a threat". To be a threat in the eyes of the law the person the comment is said to has to believe (under the "reasonable man" standard) that the teacher actually can and will carry through on it.

But whether it is "legal" and whether or not it should be done anyway are two very different things. Can you bring this up to school administrators?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 07:07 am
Is your teacher trying to be humorous? Do you think the death threats are sincere or do you think the teacher is trying to keep a quiet classroom using the death threats for emphasis?

In any case, death threats are not politically correct these days.

Talk the situation over with someone in the principal's office. If this seems too formal and official for you, talk to someone in the guidance office. Explain that the teacher's behavior is making you uncomfortable.

Good luck.
0 Replies