Welcome Motorola Droid Dudes and Dudettes

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 11:22 am
@The Chief,
Don't worry, Boss, you will not have any real problems here. There is an entire subculture here of people who are obsessed with rap music, and posting their raps, and they might as well be in an different community altogether--we don't step on their toes, and they don't step on ours. I suspect that before long, "droids" will have their own threads and that may well prove a benefit to long-term members here.
The Chief

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 11:32 am
@Setanta,
Thanks for the welcome. Don't know about "Boss" LOL but if half the old Droid forum members are active here, there will be plenty of information for anyone to make an informed decision about owning a Motorola Droid.
devriesj

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 11:46 am
@The Chief,
Welcome to a2k Droid forum folks! I hope you like it here. We are a friendly bunch! Very Happy
Diest TKO

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 12:51 pm
I love my iphone.

T
K
Twisted Evil
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 12:57 pm
@The Chief,
Is there some kind of basic explanation of what a droid is? anywhere? or do we have to wiki this?
Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 12:58 pm
@devriesj,
Incredibles Mom, Incredibles Mom ! ! !

Good to see you, Incredibles Mom.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 01:07 pm
@ehBeth,
Ok, I spent 15 minutes trying to find the Wikipedia essay about not calling Wikipedia "wiki" (which is a type of software, like "forum" or "blog", of which they are one of millions) but because so many people call them wiki it's hard to find some of the things about that word there. But I'm gonna track that down and show you one day!

Anywho, Android is Google's open-source challenge to the iPhone. The Droid specifically is a Motorola phone running the Android operating system. It's one of the two best Android phones on the market right now (Nexus One being the other).

Think of it as pretty much the best iPhone challenger there is on the market right now.
shewolfnm

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 01:08 pm
howdy new neighbors Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 01:15 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Yeah, I know.

It's a bit like my extreme reaction to anyone using "factcheck", other than factcheck.org. I could never warm up to Obama because of it.

Ok. I won't bother going to Wikipedia to look up Droid since you've explained it so nicely Mr. Green
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 02:01 pm
@Robert Gentel,
That's like pushing back the tide with a spoon. Meanings follow usage; usage doesn't conform to definitions.

Microsoft's lame attempt to make "bing" into a verb kinda underscores that.
hazydave

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 02:42 pm
@oristarA,
The welcome would have been warmer if the password reset function didn't completely fail in Chrome. Oh, yeah, and if the beer was actually cold... this "cellar temperature" thing only works for porters, stouts, and heavy ales.
hazydave

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 02:46 pm
@The Chief,
There are other places... at least Android-specific, Droid SIGs. This one does seems awfully chatty... all these folks here without a clue about what a Droid actually is. Guess they'd don't watch TV, either.. not a good sign to be that web-resident.

But hey, if you are... a Droid will do it for you far better than an iPhone. 2.6x as many pixels on the screen!
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 02:46 pm
@hazydave,
Well that'd be my fault, not his. I'm off to test in Chrome myself, but in case I can't replicate (i.e. it might be forum merge related) please let me know what you experienced.

Oh, and pardon my manners. Welcome to able2know!

Edit: tested in Chrome with no problems at any of the steps. Really would love to know what you ran into.
hazydave

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 02:54 pm
@The Chief,
Yup. And while the Droid is hot, the whole Android thing is on fire. At the World Mobile Congress this week, Eric Schmitt (Google CEO) announced that, at this moment, there are 60,000 Android devices selling each day. That's nearly 22 million per year... iPhone numbers!

I was guessing Android outsells iPhone, per quarter, sometime in 2011. But by 4Q2010... it could happen. It needs to happen.. Apple's bent on building a far more evil empire in mobile devices than Microsoft managed to build on the PC platform.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 02:58 pm
@hazydave,
Android outselling the iPhone soon won't surprise me. Even before the droid forum merged into this one we got about as much traffic from each platform (even though most of the vocal smartphone-savvy members here were iPhone users).

But even with that it doesn't seem to be generating as much app synergy yet. I really am rooting for it though. I'd much rather be on an open-source phone platform where I can switch to other hardware than to be locked into Apple's walled garden.
0 Replies

hazydave

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 02:59 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I actually looked for some site-support link before mentioning it here... the A2K powers-that-be might want to think about such a channel.

Basically, I filled in the form, got a link, including activation key, clicked on it. Chrome comes up, but the site doesn't recognize the key.. it asks me to enter it manually. So I clip it from the URL, and I'm told "unknown key". Repeat, this time pasting the URL in directly. Same thing. Repeat the same set of steps, using Firefox instead, and it works. So, no biggie, but there's chaos here somewhere. You don't need a bad reason to send people away.
The Chief

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 03:02 pm
@hazydave,
A lot of the reason is because Apple keeps such a tight control over its app market while Android is open source and apps are not subject to someone's approval. Anyone can play in Android! it's really a great community and growing every day.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 03:07 pm
@hazydave,
hazydave wrote:
I actually looked for some site-support link before mentioning it here... the A2K powers-that-be might want to think about such a channel.

Ahh, there's a 'Contact Us' link in the footer but were you looking for something like 'Help' or 'Support'?

Quote:
Basically, I filled in the form, got a link, including activation key, clicked on it. Chrome comes up, but the site doesn't recognize the key.. it asks me to enter it manually. So I clip it from the URL, and I'm told "unknown key". Repeat, this time pasting the URL in directly. Same thing. Repeat the same set of steps, using Firefox instead, and it works. So, no biggie, but there's chaos here somewhere. You don't need a bad reason to send people away.

Weird, I did all that in Chrome and it worked. Are you using gmail or another webmail reader to click the link?
hazydave

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 03:34 pm
@ehBeth,
To understand the Droid, you need to know both the hardware and the software. Software first. Oh, and I'm an Engineer, so you're going to get way too much information. Just figured I'd warn you. It's also fairly natural to mention the Apple iPhone here, since that's the other smart phone designed for consumers.. as well as a market leader in the USA.

The Android OS was debuted in demos in late 2007. Android was a company started by some guys from companies purchased by Microsoft, including WebTV and Danger, Inc. (best startup name EVER), some phone industry execs, and other people. The goal was building a new smart phone OS. Android is based on GNU/Linux and a Java(ish) middleware layer. Most applications live in Java (same language, different virtual machine). Android stresses security -- each app lives in its own copy of the VM, with independent Linux user IDs, set at install time to gate that app's access to shared resources.

Meanwhile, Google was stressing about the rise of smart devices. Google is based on web search... that's the basis of their whole environment. Given networked smart devices like phones, people will be doing more search on the device, less on the desktop. But given RIM, Apple, Palm, Microsoft, and even Nokia (though they're based on open source OSs), it would be very possible for Google to be locked out of handheld search. So they bought Android, Inc. Then they open sourced the whole schmeggie.

This was fairly profound. Phone makers were sometimes licensing outside OS, sometimes building them in-house, but it was lots of work, and licenses had to be paid. All of a sudden, you had a fully functional open source phone OS backed by Google. And not just that, but one that, unlike many others, could be competitive with Apple's iPhone juggernaut.

Now enter the Motorola Droid... the first Android to meet and exceed Apple's iPhone 3GS spec. It has an 854x480 screen. It's a mm or so thicker than an iPhone, but has a keyboard. It runs a 550MHz ARM Cortex A8 CPU, versus the 600MHz ARM Cortex A8 CPU in the 3GS. But it's a TI OMAP 3430, so it's got enhanced video acceleration and a 550MHz DSP, as well as PowerVR 3D GPU, similar to the PowerVR core Apple & Samsung licensed for the iPhone. It's got a replaceable battery, and ships with a 16GB SDHC memory card, replaceable.

And of course, in the USA, it's on Verizon's network, not AT&T's. AT&T does have faster cells... up to 7.2MB/s down, and 2Mb/s up. The iPhone, however, doesn't do full HSPA uploads, so it's limited to 384kb/s on uploads, anyway. Just about every Verizon cell is 3G... that's the advantage of EvDO.. it did not require new spectrum, but it's limited to 3.2Mb/s up. On the other hand, AT&T only has 1/5th of the country covered in 3G of any kind, and by this summer, only 30-something cities with the 7.2Mb/s HSPA+. All other 3G cells are plain old HSPA, which is 3.6Mb/s up.

In use, Android on the Droid is great. You have full multitasking, within the limits of memory... no need to "swap" applications. Any app can run a background program (daemon), not just Google apps. Only Apple can do background programs on the iPhone. So the iPod media player can play music while you're web browsing, messaging, or playing a game. Any player can do this on an Android device, so I can have Pandora or Museek playing while I do those things.. very nice. There also apps that log your travels vis the GPS, change things based on locales (that racy background photo of your girlfriend changes to something corporate when you're at work or you Mom's house).

There are also things called "widgets", which are live desktop apps. So, want a clock on your home screen.. drop in a clock widget. Want live info from a weather feed.. same thing. On Android, the full list of apps are on a drop-up menu, not the iPhone's pages. You have desktop pages, but you can use these to dock widgets or frequently used apps.

Like the 3GS but unlike the other iPhones, there's a focusing camera on the Droid (and far as I know, all Android phones). The Droid's is 5Mpixel, which isn't as good as a real digital camera, but it's getting there. But this is a very useful tool. A standard app is a barcode scanner... scan a product barcode in a store, and you get price info nearby, and online. It also does those 2D barcodes that lead to web pages.. a standard way to find an Android app.

There's an Android Marketplace, similar to the iTunes store on the iPhone. You can download apps directly, many free (it took awhile to add for-sale apps on the Marketplace, and in some countries, they're not up yet). But there's no requirement that you buy apps there... you can install an Android application from any source. So, for example, businesses that want to write their own applications, or companies that sell directly to businesses, can do these things with an Android phone. They can't with an iPhone.

Google does have some standards for the Marketplace, but they're mostly about you, not advancing Google... unlike Apple. For example, there are many optional web browsers, and there will be a version of Firefox soon... banned already from the iTunes store. I have a Commodore 64 emulator on my Droid... another app banned in the iTunes store. Sure, there are lots of crazy and useless bits there, but that's also true of Apple.
hazydave

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 03:37 pm
@Robert Gentel,
As I mentioned, I did cut and paste the link directly. So that's not the issue. I was using the "Becky!" email client from Rim Arts, but it shouldn't be a factor.