Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 04:52 pm
Okay, I have been reading about bug-free ROMs that can be loaded onto rooted Droids. It apparently overclocks the CPU and provides a plethora of powerful features not normally available.

Bugless Beauty and Bugless Beast are two of the most popular ROMs.

Have any of us here rooted? And if so, have you installed these ROMs and IF SO, can you provide a review of them and really brainless instructions on how to install them? I for one am terrified of bricking my phone! But there are a lot of people who swear by these things.

Any of us aboard the ROM boat?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 8,354 • Replies: 32
No top replies

jstwondrng

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 09:02 am
@The Chief,
Hey Chief,

Like you, I'm kinda interested in rooting my Droid. But, I too am afraid it will brick. I read somewhere that you can bump up the normal resolution of the video camera by rooting and altering the code a bit. I think I'm going to keep my phone as is Smile

jstwondrng
The Chief

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 11:54 am
@jstwondrng,
I'm intrigued enough to try it if the 2.1 update isn't everything I have hoped for. Apparently it combines the best of 2.1, Milestone, and other custom features. But I have a LOT of learning to do before I try it :cool:
jstwondrng

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 12:23 pm
@The Chief,
Yeah, I've done some research and found that Bugless ROM is awesome. Several other forums are raving about it. One user even went so far as to mention it being smooth in regards to screen swiping and running apps. Also, you have to luv the fact it runs the Milestone browser with pinch and zoom. I'm just afraid my luck I'd ruin the phone doing so.
0 Replies

droid him

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 01:57 pm
@The Chief,
I'm using bugless beast and am liking it. I was using another room called white glass or something but the damn thing kept crashing on me and i had to keep rebooting. The bugless overclocks to 800mhz using set cpu which makes the phone a lot snappier than stock. Also with setcpu you can make it so that when you phone isnt being used it only runs at 125mhz. This has allowed me to go a complete day without charging my battery. I havent had any real problems out of my phone since the install.

I rooted my droid with a simple update. Its a backup file you download it and rename it to update...then run it like a regular update. Was quick and painless. Update will also install something call nandroid which is a backup appliction. When you do your rom install they will usually be in nandroid backup form which makes them very easy to install. Go to forumsdroid.net and search for root 2.01 and it will give you some pretty good steps.
The Chief

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 05:18 pm
@droid him,
You know Him, I am very close to rooting my Droid and installing Bugless Beast, but I see where it has been updated several times in as many days. I am curious as to whether it is pretty much done for the moment, as I don't wish to keep loading updated ROMs all the time.

I'm waiting impatiently for the 2.1 update, which had better come this month or I'm going Bugless.

Rooting seems to be easy enough, but I don't see any sense in it unless I'm going to DO SOMETHING. And I have no plans on doing anything until I load the ROM.

Thoughts?
YankeeDudeL

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 12:16 pm
@The Chief,
The_Chief;2295 wrote:
You know Him, I am very close to rooting my Droid and installing Bugless Beast, but I see where it has been updated several times in as many days. I am curious as to whether it is pretty much done for the moment, as I don't wish to keep loading updated ROMs all the time.

I'm waiting impatiently for the 2.1 update, which had better come this month or I'm going Bugless.

Rooting seems to be easy enough, but I don't see any sense in it unless I'm going to DO SOMETHING. And I have no plans on doing anything until I load the ROM.

Thoughts?

I'm w/ you, Chief. Waiting on 2.1 to come, while perhaps not entirely necessary, is starting to nip away at my nerves. They seem to have laid out a "Rooting for Dummies", so that even I may be able to root successfully. And that Bugless Beast sounds oh so sweet. But I heard it was overclocked to 950 mhz (while enticing, I think the thought of going over 1 ghz is too scary to risk).

That leads me to my biggest worry: what will be the long term effects? Will this fry the battery or the Droid itself over time? Two years is a long time to hold onto a bricked cell phone.
0 Replies

BucYouUp68

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 12:33 pm
@The Chief,
http://www.sholes.info/2010/02/02/sholesmod-updater-released/comment-page-1/#comment-801
The Chief

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 01:05 pm
@BucYouUp68,
Apparently the SetCPU app allows the Droid to adjust the clock, going from 950 Mhz at full throttle to 125 Mhz at idle. So it's not cooking the CPU all the time, just at peak demand. I think it's a good tradeoff, seeing that I don't use it hardcore all that much. It'll give you about a 50% gain in performance at peak, and reduces the speed (and temp) at idle.

BTW all these chips are engineered with a HUGE fudge factor, meaning that the chip can perform at higher speeds indefinitely with little or no loss in performance (though the benchmarks indicate 800Mhz as the Droid's "sweet spot"). I believe that there would be little risk of long-term damage over the limited life span of the device.
The Chief

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 06:12 am
@The Chief,
With the news of 2.1 being "watered down", I went ahead and rooted. Yep! I'm a superuser, and it was super easy. Now to get up the courage to load Bugless Beast before the 2.1 update hits!

Hey him, it looks like nandroid is an option for BB installation. Seems to me that bugless beast is just another update.zip like rooting was. That given, do I still have to enter all that code into SPRecovery or is that all done for me now in the update.zip?
YankeeDudeL

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 09:27 am
@The Chief,
There seems to be some saying that rooting should happen before the update rolls out. I'm biting my nails here. Where'd you do it, Chief?
The Chief

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 10:03 pm
@YankeeDudeL,
Looks like we have some time to kill now, so here you go:

http://rootyourdroid.info/guides/obtaining-root/

It's absolutely brainless and you'll have your little ninja in no time! Bugless Beast, however, is a little more involved but I'm stepping through it now
The Chief

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 10:11 pm
@The Chief,
And if you want to follow me into the real unknown, then go here:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-help/19818-how-install-bugless-beast-noobs.html

This is step-by-step on bypassing the 2.1 update and going to Bugless Beast.
YankeeDudeL

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 01:09 am
@The Chief,
Someone lead me to rootyourdroid.info and boy is that great. That's where my rooting process started. Was nice to get rid of the Verizon apps, and having YouTube in automatic HQ is a beaut! But one problem I was having was flashing the recovery image, so I couldn't go any further (w/o fear, anyway).

I found instructions similar to your last link. It gives you intelligent and easy to understand step-by-step instructions, from root, to flash, to back-up, to Bugless Beast, and beyond.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-help/20395-how-easily-install-bugless-beast-using-only-sprecovery-terminal-emulator-zip.html

I think we need to DL SetCPU ($1.00 in the Market, only for root users) to overclock, so I went ahead and got it. You can set diff profiles so that it runs at diff speeds. Also I DLed TempMonitor to make sure my Droid doesn't overheat (($1.99).
The Chief

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 10:51 am
@YankeeDudeL,
So did you take the plunge and load Bugless Beast? I'm curious to know if it's worth the risk and headache! The last thing I need to do is get hung up in the code somewhere and brick my phone :eek:
YankeeDudeL

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 11:36 am
@The Chief,
Yeah, I couldn't resist. It was quite simple, thankfully. If you were able to do the recovery image and nandroid backup then you'll have no trouble.

As far as performance, it's sweet. The Droid zips along with nary a hiccup. I haven't had a chance to test out battery life, but I'll let you know. Gone is the lag that Home++ haas been plagued with, apps open as soon as prompted, and the web is mine for the the taking. Oh, and the black notification bar is a thing of beauty.
The Chief

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 11:58 am
@YankeeDudeL,
I'm having trouble with Droid Root Helper, it force closes every time I try to mount MTDBlock3. So I'm stuck! Sad

Never mind, I got it fixed and Bugless Beast is installing! YAYYYYY Very Happy
0 Replies

BucYouUp68

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 12:36 pm
@The Chief,
Lets see some Screen shots of this beast, it may tip me over and i will have to root
The Chief

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 01:15 pm
@BucYouUp68,
So far it looks the same as it was, but that's probably because of the home++. I like the news & weather widget, but can't find the voice entry in all fields bit. Where is THAT? I'm still stuck in the Swype keyboard... which isn't BAD, but I was looking forward to the voice entry.
0 Replies

droid him

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 05:42 pm
@The Chief,
you will have to get a 2.1 rom to get the voice entry. Did you overclock?